Main Menu

Prog 2071 - Once Were Warriors ... Now They're The Wanted!

Started by A.Cow, 03 March, 2018, 01:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: Big_Dave on 07 March, 2018, 10:07:58 PM
round of appaluse
for partick goddard

makes impossible
look easy & i have
mancrush on beardy bill

Beardy Bill looks quite young though. I suspect he uses Just For Men.

Modern Panther

Quartz knows [spoiler]Bill will strike on this particular day, or has maybe just been sitting in traffic for days[/spoiler]

Volodina [spoiler]has allowed herself to be used as a weapon, but not to the extent of actually being effective[/spoiler]

Meanwhile, Bill[spoiler]has somehow managed to steal an Autobot, and discover the Quartz's secret plan, and discover a way to counter it.  Rather than just maybe nipping round Volodina's flat. [/spoiler]

All because of a stalemate [spoiler]caused by the Pirates, who we last saw being defeated by half a dozen conscripts, threatening to begin working on their own Stare, which the secret organization which runs the world decided was a big enough threat as to immediately abandon their key weapon.  Its a bit like a bunch of physics students threatening to come up with their own nuclear bomb, so every country in the world disarms straight away[/spoiler]

And the pirates are [spoiler]willing to help Bill and avoid killing any scientists, despite their whole thing being about how you should never trust people like Bill, and those scientists being responsible for countless deaths, because they sold out and put a system above innocent lives[/spoiler]

Aaarrrggghhh!

And all for Bill [spoiler]to not even bother checking Quartz was dead, and to fall in love with a woman whose only trait so far has been to betray absolutely everyone at some stage[/spoiler]

norton canes

Dredd steals the show again, a bit exposition-heavy this week but intriguingly so. I love the ever-changing patterns on Lamia's scalp. I get the idea they're a supernatural phenomenon that can't actually be seen... like psychic isobars or something.

Elsewhere Brass Sun provides most of the enjoyment with a nicely cinematic installment.

Just a thought... when was the last time Pat Mills actually created a new character for 2000 AD? With their own strip, I mean? Defoe was the last one, wasn't it? Perhaps the best answer to this endless cycling through his repertoire would be for him to come up with something completely new.

Tjm86

Quote from: norton canes on 08 March, 2018, 12:08:51 PM
Defoe was the last one, wasn't it? Perhaps the best answer to this endless cycling through his repertoire would be for him to come up with something completely new.

Aye, because the vague political allusions and a lead character with a grudge against the system is something that Mills has never written before.

DrJomster

Dredd and Brass Sun again for me this week but an enjoyable Prog overall.

Quite an interesting bit of world building in Dredd actually and gorgeously realised. Interested to see this taken further. An exorcist team strip would be very nice, possibly with a BritCit link...

Brass Sun is going to be AMAZING collected. Message ends.

Ps. #PraiseBeToTharg
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Taryn Tailz

Could anybody give me a very brief run down of what happened in Prog 2070 before I read this weeks prog? I picked up 2071 from my newsagent today, but last weeks edition failed to make it through the snow, so now I'm missing one part of each of the stories.

Modern Panther

2070 spoilers...

Dredd...[spoiler]more set up, as Lamia gets back into action.  Lamia and Dredd are called to an emergency at the mystery ship, where a judge is attacked by a walking dead crew member, but kills it with fire.
[/spoiler]

ABC Warriors...[spoiler]the gang spend 3 pages explaining to blackblood why they're about to shoot him. Then they shoot him[/spoiler]

BrassSun...[spoiler]Wren recaps on her time away. Its been years. She had a kid, who died, then her monk boyfriend left to go back to monkdom. [/spoiler]

Bad Company...[spoiler]war is bad. Danny is sad. Mac dies again[/spoiler]

Savage...[spoiler]everyone decides to not fight for reasons that make so little sense it actually makes me angry, but to allow the good guys to fly away.  Quartz uses mad scientists as a human shield, and the Pirates and Bill decide to respect that, rather than just shoot Quartz and the asshole scientists who built the killing machines to satisfy their own shitty curiosity. Quartz shoots at them with his massive phallic cannon. Volodina falls out of flying thing.  savage decides to go back for her, despite her being a terrible person he has no reason to care for.[/spoiler]

Taryn Tailz

Massive thanks for that Modern Panther, particularly regarding Brass Sun, as I feel that would probably have been a fairly important character beat to have missed. (Though ABC Warriors kind of turned out how I expected it would.  :lol: )

Tiplodocus

Dredd and Brass Sun win it for me because I don't have to completely change my mindset to enjoy them. But with my "OTT parody" hat on, I enjoyed ABC, with my "stoned student who thinks they are the first person to notice this"on hat on, I enjoyed Bad Company and I'm still trying to figure out that hat I have to wear to make Savage work now it's an ABC crossover.

But overall an enjoyable prog.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Cover: Ace, colourful and clever.

Dredd: Good, interesting and lovely.  Although the curse of Passive Dredd strikes again.

Brass Sun: Oh my, what a treat.  So much stuff going on here, and all I want is more.

Savage: Maggie shot Mr. Burns?  What a cop-out.  At least I think that's what went on here.  Oh look, I'll be honest, I did enjoy seeing Bill driving a Transformer Lorry from 3000AD that was also a Martian Tripod.  Nothing else.  I found the wrap-up trite and ludicrous, and have zero interest in more Bill Vs. Howard. But if there's one thing we know about Savage, the next book is unlikely to resemble the current one, so onward.

ABC Warriors, on the other hand, we can be fairly sure that the next book wiil be just like this one, and the next and the next.  Could we just pay Langley to draw ABC Warriors posters instead?  I'd probably buy them, his wrasslin' robots are ace, and I wouldn't have to read utterly predictable Blackblood escapades, and more "you're the terrorists, no you're the real terrorists" over and over again. Gah!

Bad Company, on the other hand, we can be fairly sure that the next book wiil be just like this one, and the next and the next.  Could we just pay Rufus to draw Bad Company posters instead?  I'd probably buy them, his wrasslin' veterans are ace, and I wouldn't have to read about yet-another spurious obstacle of half-dead half-insane experimental rejects, and more "you're the terrorists, no you're the real terrorists" over and over again. Gah!

NapalmKev

Quote from: norton canes on 08 March, 2018, 12:08:51 PM

Just a thought... when was the last time Pat Mills actually created a new character for 2000 AD? With their own strip, I mean? Defoe was the last one, wasn't it? Perhaps the best answer to this endless cycling through his repertoire would be for him to come up with something completely new.

As I recall, the last strip Unki Pat and Clint Langley brought to 'The house of Tharg' was American Reaper which was panned by most, although I enjoyed it and would have happily seen it return. Maybe treading water in established strips is what the majority wants. The Prog seems to be selling well as I understand it, and the Forum only represents a tiny minority of the overall fandom.

Veering wildly back on topic - I love the original run of Bad Company and feel it should have been left as a standalone classic. I'm waiting for the big reveal that [spoiler]Danny Franks is in a Hospital ward/cell and it's all happening inside his head.[/spoiler]

Brass Sun, Savage , and A.B.C's all doing the job, for me.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Big_Dave

Leigh S

The Big reveal I'd like in Bad Co is that[spoiler] Danny Franks is still the Krool Heart and this is going somewhere,  [/spoiler] but I think that ship has sailed.  The really annoying thing is I really liked Milliglo's Counterfeit Girl, and given we could have had more of that instead, it riles me a bit extra than it possibly should.

TordelBack

Surely with this week's repetitive page-count-extending tactic of the absurd Dead White Males (who in no way resemble the old War Zombies,  who were just dead soldiers reanimated by gas and controlled by a rhythmic beat) and the line 'most modern humans can't handle poetry of this intensity', there can be no other explanation than that this is a shaggy dog story happening entirely in Danny's head.

Otherwise it is simply appalling drivel, dressed in vibrant art that it doesn't deserve.

Professor Bear

I have been wondering what's been bugging me about Brass Sun lately, and I think I've finally twigged: how does the toilet work in that tortoise house?  Either
1 Wren poos through a regular hole in the floor of her house onto the tortoise shell and just lets it run down to build up in the edge of the shell where there's a kind of natural guttering and now there's a whole moat of human poo surrounding the shell, or
2 she's drilled a hole through the shell into the tortoise's own bowels and all her poo is dumped - so to speak - if/when the tortoise does its own business.