Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 February, 2020, 08:09:46 PMThe Earth is still finite, Atlantis project notwithstanding, and much of humanity still lives there.

If I had to guess: World War 3 reduced the population, and then there was no stigma about using rubber johnnies.  Which we can take as a given since Kirk never caught Space AIDS.

TordelBack

Harry Kim did though.

Still chugging through DS9 Season 2: even when it's not great it's still really, really good. Almost every character is interesting in their own right and in how they interact with each other, and generally feel like they have lives and histories outside the demands of this week's crisis. Not something you can say about all Trek.

Odd running order in places: at one point O'Brien ends up missing or presumed dead in 3 consecutive episodes.

Tiplodocus

If I recall, the first season of Voyages was similarly "Where's Harry Kim?"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Reflecting on Picard so far, which I've almost universally enjoyed, I was surprised to find myself thinking "finally!" at the end of Episode 3.

I can't help feeling that it's the structure that is a bit off, rather than the pacing. If the first two episodes (or if you like, just an old-style series premiere) had covered Dahj, Raffi, Beard Solo and Picard heading off into space, and then the third had addressed Soji, Hugh, Romulans in Starfleet and the Cube with maybe some B-plot cutaways of Picard and Crew in transit, it might feel like it's moving along a bit faster.

wedgeski

What the hell has happened on Earth that [spoiler]Picard feels the need to have not one, but two secret phaser pistols in his front room[/spoiler]?! Not to mention [spoiler]live-in elite Tal Shiar bodyguards[/spoiler]?

Loved every second.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 February, 2020, 10:28:07 AM
What the hell has happened on Earth that [spoiler]Picard feels the need to have not one, but two secret phaser pistols in his front room[/spoiler]?! Not to mention [spoiler]live-in elite Tal Shiar bodyguards[/spoiler]?

Loved every second.

I think those two things might be related. [spoiler]Romulans can be a bit paranoid [/spoiler]
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

I'm assuming that the [spoiler]weaponry[/spoiler] was installed *after* he'd had a nasty scrap with secret [spoiler]Romulan death squads[/spoiler] operating with impunity on Earth.

wedgeski

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 February, 2020, 02:01:24 PM
I'm assuming that the [spoiler]weaponry[/spoiler] was installed *after* he'd had a nasty scrap with secret [spoiler]Romulan death squads[/spoiler] operating with impunity on Earth.
Both the above are sensible answers to that question. :)

von Boom

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 February, 2020, 02:06:15 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 11 February, 2020, 02:01:24 PM
Both the above are sensible answers to that question. :)
That's not how Star Trek fandom works.

Tiplodocus

I did think he'd take the Irish romulans with him; them being pretty handy in a fight and all.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

And also terrific fun. Orla Brady has been magic, but they're really just a wonderful double act. All through the most recent fight scene I was genuinely concerned for their well-being.

Mardroid

I'm really enjoying this series.

I liked the most recent episode too but did feel a bit like saying "GET ON WITH IT!" To be clear, I wasn't bored at all. But it did feel like it didn't move the story along a whole lot.

Then again, largely enjoying something so slow paced indicates they're doing something right.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

As much as I'm enjoying this, I have no doubt that TNG could have reached this point in the plot by the second commercial break without leaving out anything important.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

S'right. But that was episode-based telly (and even then it often seemed slow), and not the endlessly dragged-out nested plots that the Modern Streaming Audience Wants.

One or two ideas a season and two-dozen stan-ready characters to ship, as opposed to two featured characters in an A- and B-plot per episode.

wedgeski

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 February, 2020, 09:22:39 AM
S'right. But that was episode-based telly (and even then it often seemed slow)...
Yeah, watch a few episodes of S2 or (if you can stomach it) S1 TNG and watch for all the interminable zooms and crescendo-building music. It was often amazing just how little plot they would get away with in 41 mins or whatever it was.

When they got into their groove though, they packed it in there, and often with room for ensemble character development (e.g. the brilliant 'Below Decks').