Main Menu

Megazine reprints

Started by 2000AD Online, 09 March, 2002, 12:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

For once, I'm not going to bitch. Instead, I suggest when reprinting material from square-bound back progs why not utilize the page space left over more constructively? Rather than this 'released from thrill containment facility' bollocks, or worse still, re-drawn / re-sized artwork, how about using the space for interviewing the writer and artist about the story being reprinted, perhaps including a resume of their work and achievements, hobbies, etc.?

And yes, this does mean I've bought my first Megazine in seven years. Please do not ask me what I could have better spent my money on.

paulvonscott

You could have bought a load of gingerbread men and played escape from colditz under the duvet.

I do want to buy the megazine, but I can't find a copy.

I agree with that space idea.  Stick some triia in at the very least.

Why are you up so early Mr Whit?

2000AD Online

I normally start work at 7.30 a.m.. Thankfully, I don't work weekends but I'm rarely able to sleep in.

'I say, Ginger! Not making a break for freedom with me the other chaps? Snap to it!'

'Sorry, Sah. Thought it rather a crummy idea, Sah!'

Etc..

paulvonscott

That makes sense, I used to have that too.  At least it means you don't waste your weekends asleep.

"Old Captain 'Nobbler' Harris says the mission is a piece of cake leiutenant!"

"I say sah, that really takes the biscuit, what?"

Gingerbread Colditz (C)2002 Whit/PVS

2000AD Online

Heh heh!

Paul, how come you're having trouble getting the Megazine? To be honest, the only reason I bought it was for the article regarding 2000 AD's inception.

paulvonscott

Perhaps it has a sudden popularity and is sold out?!  The article is the main reason I'm getting it.  Curious to see what the mag's like now after a ten year break.  Anyway The Watcher raved about the article, so I feel I must.

"What is it Private Weasley"

"It's Watkins sir, they caught him trying to escape dressed as a Pretzel Officer.  They're torturing him now sir.  I hear... I hear he's lost a currant sir."

"By gad, the fiends!"

2000AD Online

Meanwhile. . .

'AAAAAARRRGGHHHHHH! ! ! Damn your jam filling Colonel Sachertorte! You Germanic cakes are all the same! Your rich ingredients make me sick!'

'Ach Watkins, mein dear freund. You flatter me, hein?

paulvonscott

Back in the enlisted men's barracks:

'Who is that man?'

'That's Watkins Sir, not pretty is it?  He's lost one current eye and they've bitten his arm off at the shoulder'

'Damn them.  Fetch Dr Kipling, quick man, we can still save him!'

'But sir, Dr Kipling, he only worked with cakes in civvy life didn't he?'

'Yes, but there's a war on damnit, he'll have to do his best, we all have to.'

'Yes sir.  I... I hear he is exceedingly good...'

'Let's hope it's enough, let's hope it's enough.'

2000AD Online

'Mein Gott, Herr Vhit! All zees bad puns ist weally taking ze biscuit, hein?'

'Von Scott unt Himmel! You think you can hast your cake unt eat it?'

Grobendonk

Megazine reprints are a necessary evil.I strongly suggest that the reprints focus on creator owned strips by 2000ad creators. For example John Wagner, Alan Grant, Garth Ennis, Pete Milligan, Steve Dillon, Brett Ewins, Carlos Ezquerra. John Wagner wrote a fantastic crime thriller called A History of Violence that hasn't been widely seen and could easily be broken into episodes. The Last American - Wagner and Grant with lovely McMahon art would be very much at home in the Megazine. Garth Ennis has written any number of series that would obviously sit well with the Megazine e.g. Bloody Mary or Just a Pilgrim. There are series like Pat Mills Marshal Law, or Sex Warrior, or even Skreemer by Milligan and Ewins. I do like hellboy and Preacher and the like but I'm a big comics fan and I already own these stories. The series I've suggested are the tip of the iceberg. they are proven stories by beloved creators and because they are creator owned they are open to offers, some creators may welcome the chance to see their work reprinted and squeeze some more cash out of an old project.

paulvonscott

I agree FULLY with you there Grobbo.  These stories are 2000AD ones but fot eh quirk AD never published them!  Last American was great and I love reading stories by 2000AD creators.  Skreemer was good.  Yeah, i'd vote for this!