Main Menu

2000 3D

Started by M.I.K., 28 November, 2009, 12:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

The recent 3D week on Channel 4 was a bit rubbish, but both it and a special 3D issue of The Sky At Night magazine I saw the other day have got me thinking.

How about a 3D special of 2000ad? Yes, it'd be pointless and gimmicky, but now I've thought of the idea I really, really want a copy.

Richmond Clements

It can work.
I got the Clive Barker one: http://uk.comics.ign.com/objects/038/038244.html
It's not anywhere near one of Clive's better stories, but the 3d element is cracking.

Emperor

I slightly moisten the comic with steam from a kettle and then jam my fist under the page I'm reading and wiggle it around under the drawings - instant 3D motion comic.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

Quote from: Emperor on 28 November, 2009, 02:25:57 PM
I slightly moisten the comic and then jam my fist under and wiggle it around

:o

The terrible influence of Roger Godpleton is spreading.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Kerrin on 28 November, 2009, 04:14:51 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 28 November, 2009, 02:25:57 PM
I slightly moisten the comic and then jam my fist under and wiggle it around

:o

The terrible influence of Roger Godpleton is spreading.

Except Roger gets his mother to do it for him.

SmallBlueThing

I am up for anything that increases my enjoyment of the comic and anything that may get others to read it. A 3D issue immediately becomes a hundred percent more interesting than a non-3D one- in exactly the same way that if it came packaged with a plastic fisting arm, it would leap off the shelf.

So give me that 3D goodness Thargybaby!

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 November, 2009, 04:44:04 PM

So give me that 3D goodness Thargybaby!

Fleetway experimented with it briefly in the 80s, trying it out in both Battle/Action Force and Eagle, of which the Cam Kennedy illustrated 'Scorpio' was the most successful, IMO, since Kennedy's perspective is usually faultless, and he appeared to understand the nature of what was being attempted and appeared to actively break the artwork down into planes, so that the 3D separations would really 'pop' ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

Quote from: M.I.K. on 28 November, 2009, 12:58:45 PMHow about a 3D special of 2000ad? Yes, it'd be pointless and gimmicky, but now I've thought of the idea I really, really want a copy.

Also it has to be done purely because of the name 2000 3D!!

They did it recently on Grant Morrison's Final Crisis: Superman Beyond and it seems to have gone over well (although I believe it was reproduced in ordinary form for the hardcover volume).

Anyone know how to do it? Anyone up for an experiment? One that doesn't involve moistness and my fist (or Roger's mum's)?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steve Green

I've only ever messed around with it in 3D Software - there are plugins in After Effects to do it, not sure if there are any photoshop plugins to help translate the depth order to 3D depth.

I loved the whole 3D section of the Black Dossier, which I think worked well.

So which strips would work especially well in 3D?

Dredd, obviously.
Stront - could do some nice effects with the electronux, time bombs etc.
ABC Warriors - Langley could look quite epic in 3D
Shakara - I can't imagine what Henry Flint in 3D would be like...

COMMANDO FORCES

Would we get variant covers for this special issue with themed 3D glasses as well just so I can buy them all. Dredd glasses or Alpha glasses!!!

Emperor

Quote from: Steve ^McWild^ Green on 28 November, 2009, 07:47:27 PMShakara - I can't imagine what Henry Flint in 3D would be like...

Truly frightening - their be savaged jagged bits trying to poke your eyes out, then a leering BOBFOTCM* followed by vertiginous plunges and mesmerising wiggly detail. So no to Shakara on those grounds.

What about Nikolai Dante? Pointy nanotech swords, well-stuffed trousers and... too much again.

Body Off Baywatch, Face Off Texas Chainsaw Massacre

ThryllSeekyr

I like the sound of that.

It would have to be a issue with Slaine in it of cousre.

It would be interesting to see Clint Lanely's work in 3D. I guess it would have to be finished by a 3D expert.

With a pair of cardboard and cellophane 3D glass's as well.

I was also thinking how about a pop-up issue. I think that might be easier done.

Mike Gloady

Not for the first time, I'm sad that 3D doesn't work with my eye problems.  Bastarding EYES!
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 28 November, 2009, 08:31:31 PM
I was also thinking how about a pop-up issue.

With all the breasts on show lately I bet Roger would be up for that ;)

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 28 November, 2009, 08:32:44 PM
Not for the first time, I'm sad that 3D doesn't work with my eye problems.  Bastarding EYES!

I am not sure it works for myself either like the way i can never ever see what is in those Magic Eye things.I am short sighted in one eye if that has anything to do with it.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death