Main Menu

Uncensored Action! 01 March 2014

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 22 June, 2013, 08:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

I wish Rebellion owned this material & sheltered it under the 2000AD umbrella.

This and other great comic material that really needs reprinting needs a good home...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Spikes

If anyones looking to snag the original 'Pre-Ban' comics, then click - here

dracula1

Cpt Rhodes

Quote from: Bat King on 06 July, 2013, 10:46:21 PM
I wish Rebellion owned this material & sheltered it under the 2000AD umbrella.

This and other great comic material that really needs reprinting needs a good home...

Totally agree.
I loved this comic at the the time for what it was but the fact that in many ways 2000ad is a direct descendant of Action, increases it's importance.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Judge Jack on 06 July, 2013, 06:47:38 PM
Story of a violent comic is superb, isnt it. An 100% essential book to have.

Yikes - cheapest used copy on Amazon - £89.99

Tjm86

last copy on ebay went for about £50.  Managed to snag one for £30 a while back but that was just being lucky.  This one is not coming up too often at all.  That said, a lot of the content is already on the web either on the sevenpenny nightmare http://sevenpennynightmare.co.uk/?page_id=260 website.  Certainly a lot of the strips such as the ending of the Kids Rule OK strip.

Spikes

Yeah it not a cheap book to track down, but bargains can be had.
The E-bay route is probably your best - and cheapest, way to go.
Ive usually seen it for around the £50 mark. As Tjm86 points out the Action website contains all that the book holds, plus more. Quite a bit more.
Obviously a lot of stuff came to light a few years after the book was released. But its an essential book, though. That, and the Mega History are probably my two all time faves.

JamesC

I think I may have 2 copies of 'Story Of A Violent Comic' at home. My brother and I both bought copies from a discount bookstore in the 90s for about a quid each.
If I do then one of you can have it as long as you pay postage.

hippynumber1

Quote from: JamesC on 19 July, 2013, 12:54:20 PM
I think I may have 2 copies of 'Story Of A Violent Comic' at home. My brother and I both bought copies from a discount bookstore in the 90s for about a quid each.
If I do then one of you can have it as long as you pay postage.

Yes please...  ;)

Spikes

Quote from: JamesC on 19 July, 2013, 12:54:20 PM
My brother and I both bought copies from a discount bookstore in the 90s for about a quid each.

I may be wrong, but i always kinda got the impression that the book didnt really sell that well - at the time.
And only became much sort after down the line.
But thats a very generous offer by JamesC, and some very good reading heading the way to somebody, if you do have a spare copy.

EddieHitler

That's correct JJ as a few years back I went to a comic/book shop (Crystal Palace) and he told me he had a whole shelf full of them, returns I guess?

I bought mine when it first came out at a comic shop in Neal St London. 

JOE SOAP

I wouldn't say it had a huge print run. I bought my copy during the early 90's in the Dandelion book shop in Dublin (Padraig O'Mealoid's old haunt) and it's the only copy I've seen.

Spikes

I never bought my copy til a good few years after it was released - certainly i had no comic shops near me that stocked it, though i do remember the adverts for it, at the time, in the back of the prog.

Always thought it was slightly ahead of its time, in that maybe the nostalgia market, for the want of a better term, for this sort of thing hadnt really developed, and hence it didnt really sell.

But if people on here bought it at the time, then maybe thats not quite the full story.

Toni Scandella

I bought it at the time from - I think - Oddysey 7at the old Corn exchange in Manchester - was just happy to read the strips again, but the book was excellent. Goes for £80? Best get it out of the attic and look after it properly, then...

EddieHitler

I think also the author had plans to do a book about 2000ad?