Main Menu

Something Rogue Troopery in the offing?

Started by Steve Green, 28 February, 2017, 05:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

It lands on Tuesday! Anyone else excited?

:D

Rogue Judge

Very excited!  I never played the original so really looking forward to killing some Norts. Also, the preorder came with a nifty Rogue theme!

shaolin_monkey

Oh my!  never played the original?!   :o You're in for a treat!!  :)

Mardroid

I did play the original on the ps2, and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I never got beyond the train level.

Strongly tempted to go next gen to get this version*. It's not the only reason, but it's a strong motivator. I use the PS3 at the moment, and while I do like games I don't play them very often. I use it mainly for watching TV via Netflix and the like or watching DVDs/Blu-ray. I got the ps2 mainly for DVD support, and PS3 for blu-ray. * The new consoles have confused my choices as it's the Xbox that comes with the next gen super HD whiz drive... and I'm reticent about Microsoft products.... And the Xbox One X is really expensive! A very impressive machine though.

The Nintendo Switch is a lovely gadget... but I don't find the games appealing for some reason.

* So why didn't I get just a dedicated player of either? Well, back when I bought the first gen ps2 DVD players were much more expensive, and the console was a pretty reasonable alternative. This wasn't so much the case when I got the PS3 as I got it pretty late plumping for the super slim version. I think t here were cheaper blu-ray players by then, but the PS3 was still great value with the added capabilities. And I like the fact I can game when I want to.

HdE

Quote from: Mardroid on 17 October, 2017, 12:42:17 AM
I use the PS3 at the moment, and while I do like games I don't play them very often. I use it mainly for watching TV via Netflix and the like or watching DVDs/Blu-ray. I got the ps2 mainly for DVD support, and PS3 for blu-ray. *

Just something I'll lob in here:

I'm actually doing something right now to do with video games that could very well turn into full blown work of the 'it pays money' variety. During the course of it, I've been learning a lot about the foibles of optical media based game consoles.

Given how affordable DVD and Blu Ray players are now, you might want to make sure you've got one and use that in preference to chucking your movies through a console - ESPECIALLY the PS3, as those are now no longer being manufactured.

The reason I say this is because optical drives are notorious for breaking down after extended use, and Sony's are particularly difficult to replace, given that new units have to be sourced for your specific model. Even within one model line (for example, the PS3 ultra slim) there are numerous hardware revisions. Things get complicated REALLY quickly with those.

Watching movies on your PS3, or PS4, might be convenient. But if you do it a lot, you'll increase wear and tear on the laser, and that could put paid to your gaming a ways down the line. Sooner than you think, maybe.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mardroid

Hmm. Thanks, food for thought. I do tend to go long periods of time without watching a DVD / Blu-ray (but I do it far more frequently than gaming), nowadays particularly since using Netflix, but then I might use it a lot in one go (like if I recently bought a box set, etc).

The PS2 actually stood me in pretty good stead, back when I watched DVDs far more often, but although it was prone to skipping with certain disks. I'm not sure if that was the PS2 or the DVDs however. (I suspect it was a bit of both. I. E. There was a weakness on the DVD which the PS2 picked up on, since  it coped with most just fine. But playing the same disk through my parents DVD player often didn't result in the same issues,  as if the player could cope somehow.)