Main Menu

Prog 1703 Cry Wolf!

Started by JAMESCOR, 18 September, 2010, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAMESCOR

Was beginning to think I'd be progless today, but postie didn't let me down

Everything ticks along rather nicely Dredd and Lowlife are my favourites not sure about Age of the Wolf yet but it certainly looks really nice. Nerve centre has an ad for the return of Kingdom which is a good thing in my book.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Liked the Karl Urban reference in Dredd!!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

James Stacey

I also liked the 95 Dredd Lawmaster :)

Colin YNWA

I've read the Prog in fits and starts today for one reason or another. All read all enjoyed (well Defoe aside, though its worth saying that since I'm reading it without a struggle it must be the best to date) and to be honest I've not got an opinion on it...

... not cos its good, bad or indifferent just cos I've not been able to build any prog momentum and so the whole thing has passed a little inconspicuously. Dante was probably the highlight but Dredd was fine and Lowlife and Age of the Wolf were fine...

... damn I guess I've learnt not to rush at my prog in an attempt to get it read. Save it find some time to do it justice.

Oh but one thing that did standout. See that picture of Tharg above his editorial really doesn't fit with the tone of the piece does it. Looks like Tharg is going to have a right old rant and it starts as ever

"Borag thungg earthlets. I am the Mighty Tharg and I bid you welcome..."

Looks like he should be saying

"Quaequam Blag! I Tharg the Mighty have got a Rigellian Hotshot for some grexnix..."

An... unappreciated prog... maybe Tharg is angry at me....

Darren Stephens

Great Prog all round. Top cover, which is an expantion of this weeks opening panel of Age of the Wolf.

I read Dredd first, which is still so, so good. I did love that cheeky movie Lawmaster appearance...

Other highlights include Defoe and Lowlife. Both class. Love that silhouetted croc attack! Age of the wolf is progressing very nicely, IMO. John Davis Hunts art has come on in superman sized leaps and bounds.
Dante....well, we all knew he had to snap out of it sometime. I thought it was handled really well and am looking forward to next week alot.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Trout

I enjoyed it a lot. Low Life's keeping me entertained and keeping me guessing, while Age of the Wolf is still exciting. Dante and Defoe still deliver.

The highlight was, of course, Dredd. Just great, great storytelling: suspense, pace, unanswered questions, cheeky wee references - it ticks every box.

Dredd's worth the cover price alone.

- Trout

amberkraken

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 September, 2010, 06:11:02 PM
Oh but one thing that did standout. See that picture of Tharg above his editorial really doesn't fit with the tone of the piece does it. Looks like Tharg is going to have a right old rant and it starts as ever

"Borag thungg earthlets. I am the Mighty Tharg and I bid you welcome..."

Looks like he should be saying

"Quaequam Blag! I Tharg the Mighty have got a Rigellian Hotshot for some grexnix..."

... maybe Tharg is angry at me....

I thought he should be saying "Get off my land!"

Great to see 'Kingdom' in the 'thrills of the future'. This is one of my favourite strips in recent years, so really looking forward to it.

Dredd - enjoying this a lot, good pace at artwork for the story. [spoiler]though can't belive no one remembers Riggs go back to Skinner's apartment.[/spoiler]

Defoe - After last weeks questions, this week there is no doubt it's a zombie croc!!!!!! and as previously mentioned that silouette panel is lovely. A very interesting end to this weeks instalment (that I don't want to spoil for you), but does make me suspect (please don't read this name if you haven't read it yet as that last panel is amazing!) [spoiler]the Ravenmaster[/spoiler]

Age of the Wolf - this is ok. It just hasn't clicked with me yet, but just like Defoe the last panel has me intrigued (so maybe that is it clicking with me?) so maybe next week I'll finally love it like most of the rest of you.

Low Life - mainly plot points and talking this week, but still loved it. (Would I love it so much if D'israeli's art wasn't an amazing thing of beauty) but once again Dirty Frank has some great lines (note to self - must remember to use buying and feeding an imaginary cat as an excuse next time I don't want to do something!)

Nikolai Dante - I don't remember the whole cast for this strip, so the past few weeks and end of the last arc didn't have that much effect on me. On the plus side it looks like next week it'll be back to bloodthirsty action that anyone can enjoy (even simpletons like me!)

overall a very good prog!

House of Usher

I enjoyed the Prog. 7/10.

The only comment I have to make at the moment is a spoiler for Defoe.

[spoiler]You see those levitating zombies? They aren't as great a surprise as all that, because previously we've had flying zombie babies and (flying?) superhero zombies. I think that with the Ravenmaster we already have a solution to the aerial zombie attack problem. There's a huge flock of ravens gathering over the Tower of London, isn't there? They are going to attack and defeat the zombies next Prog, aren't they?[/spoiler]
STRIKE !!!

The Enigmatic Dr X

No comment on the poster in Age of the Wolf for some useless indie group: The Bolt-01s?
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 19 September, 2010, 12:18:50 PM
No comment on the poster in Age of the Wolf for some useless indie group: The Bolt-01s?

I spotted that! Clever me.

Really good prog, been adopting a new approach to reading the prog these days where I'll sit down with all the episodes and read my way up to the latest every week, am finding it a much more satisfying way of making a good meal out of it, and means I don't get quite as confused by Defoe and Dante's mammoth casts.

Dredd: Brilliant, the Urban reference was nice.

Defoe: Enjoying this again, after losing interest a bit lately. This episode was a corker, was laughing out loud at the Ravenmaster (his facial expressions are fried gold) and the flying zombies at the end was beezer. Wonder if we'll see a flying [spoiler]zombie croc[/spoiler].

Age of the Wolf: Found this episode properly exciting, was particularly impressed with how well the writing and artwork gave the chase a brilliant momentum, not easy to make a chase scene tense on the page but this worked a treat.

Low Life: Love the idea of using the speed heal to perpetually abuse a prisoner, this is probably my 2nd favorite thing in the prog just now.

Nikolai Dante: Similarly to Defoe, I'm getting back into this in a big way, this episode was a particularly good one, with his change of heart handled brilliantly.

All in all a stunning prog I thought, it really is damn good right now.

Pete Wells

QuoteI don't remember the whole cast for this strip

Okay then, for those struggling with the people on the final pages of Dante, they are (I'll pop 'em in spoilers just in case...)

[spoiler]1 - Dimitri Romanov - Dante's dad and villain of the piece.
2 - Andreus Romnov - Dante's favourite brother who shared his hard drinking, womanising ways. He fell in love with Sgt Elena Kurakin shortly before was killed in the Tsar Wars saga.
3 - Dante's wife Elouise - killed by his brother Valentine Romanov in 'The Great Game.'
4 - The young suicide bomber from Amerika.
5 - Jocasta Romanov - Dante's step mam, killed by Dimitri/Arkady not so long back...
6 - The lovely Jenna Makarov - Dante's lover.
7 - Dimitri/Arkady Romanov - a hybrid of Dante's dad and younger brother. Not a nice man/men![/spoiler]

Hope this helps...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Pete Wells on 20 September, 2010, 10:01:01 PM
[spoiler]4 - The young suicide bomber from Amerika.[/spoiler]

Actually it's [spoiler]Dante's childhood sweetheart Lauren Stone, who died near the end of Hero of the Revolution.[/spoiler]
@jamesfeistdraws

Goaty

Sorry hadnt been comment of any Prog posts for ages, but is this current Prog 1703 cover really crap??

Spaceghost

I think the cover is ace. Some of the dialogue spoken by the fellow in the London eye made me cringe a bit.
Presumably he's meant to be from Yorkshire but as a Yorkshire man myself, it didn't ring true.
The rest of the story is great and the chase scene was genuinely thrilling.

Loving the prog at the moment. Dredd is top quality, Defoe is mental, Low Life is great and Dante, as usual, is fantastic.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dandontdare

I'm not a big fan of the cover either. If you check Pete Wells' blog, the artwork is really good in all the preliminary stages, but I think that final blizard of snow over the top ruins it.

I'm withholding judgement on the actual story for the time being, it's entertaining enough but it could go either way.