Main Menu

PROG 1826 DISAPPEAR HERE!

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 30 March, 2013, 10:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Wait, could it be [spoiler]Legion?[/spoiler]

Goaty

No it's Alien that appears in the Meg's Dredd story with Aliens quarantine holding facility

[spoiler]That's one with just shadow that erased your life from the universe. [/spoiler]

The Adventurer

Great prog, enjoyed it all for the most part.

Judge Dredd's off to a creepy start. This new threat is pretty extreme.

Dandridge is starting to gel with me a little better, there's some world logic that sometimes trips me up, but otherwise its an interesting idea. Poor Shelley, gets no respect from anyone.

While I get why Survival Geeks might not be everyone's bag, I really REALLY dug it. I've felt that 2000 AD has been missing a little something since Bec & Kawl ended. If Survival Geeks came back again, it would totally fill that void. I really REALLY love Neil Googe's artwork on this.

Stickleback is ticking along, this episode was sort of predictable though. But I'm glad Miss. Scarlett is going to be the main sidekick. I've always liked her.

Zombo does its thing. I'm sort of two minds on Zombo, on one hand its that crazy sort of 2000 AD that's really the entire reason to read tooth. But sometimes I feel like I've lost the plot along the way. Sometimes things can get TOO crazy, you know? Also sometimes wish Henry Flint would dial it back just a touch, seems like his artwork has gotten a bit more loose over the last few years.

So yeah, excellent Prog, excellent line-up. Really digging it.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mister Macheath

My first time contributing to this area of the forum, so please be gentle!

I thought Dredd was a mixed bag. While I found the main plot (as yet) a bit uninspiring, the stuff with Hamida was excellent with writer(s) and artist perfectly synchronising for that [spoiler]greyscale post-DOC payoff[/spoiler] - managed to send a chill down my spine.

The art was really rather tasty for the most part but I couldn't take my eye off the wonky floating shoulder pad in the first frame. Blue-rinse cat lady and some imaginative panel work made up for it though.

I've no idea who the baddie is, but if it is indeed an old villain who people have forgotten, that's a bit groovy and meta and all that.

Dandridge has had its moments so far, and feels like it is on the edge of being rollicking good fun. Although this installment dialed back the action a good bit, it was nice to get a bit of character development going on and a break from the pissed-up-Playboy action.

I know it is an entirely different beast, but the flowery language and 'tally ho'-isms going on here feel a lot more natural than in Ampney which I recently had my first taste of and, to be honest, found a bit naff. But yeah, looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

I've enjoyed Survival Geeks but I'm not particularly keen to see it return as an ongoing strip - the art is gorgeous and the narrative chucklesome enough but there's only so many episodes of nudge-nudge wink-wink fanboy references I can take. I'm pretty sure that number is three. Still though, if the dialed all that back a bit and fleshed out the characters a bit maybe I'd get into an ongoing series. And I'll say it again, the art is just delicious.

It is likely because I haven't read the previous installments but similarly for me Stickleback has become little more than an exercise in trying to spot Easter eggs. Which is hugely enjoyable, don't get me wrong (I was delighted to see Kim Newman crop up in this one), but the plot isn't exactly getting my grey matter fizzing.

Again though, it is probably because I need to have read the previous stories to catch the subtleties and understand the changes Stickleback has gone through, etc. So picking up those tales is exactly what I shall be doing in the morning!

Zombo was my undoubted highlight this week and had me booming belly laughs out all over my house. The Fab Four/Fantastic Four riffing was superb, especially the latter. Roy/Reed/Colonel Awesomesauce was just such a fantastically horrible ballbag and Ringo's tearful bassett hound face had me in stitches. I'm perfectly happy to get utterly loopy, deeper down the rabbit hole says I!

While it still looked mighty pretty, I would agree with some of the previous comments that Flint's artwork has become a lot looser in these episodes. After Tharg's advice in prog 1825 I picked up the first TPB and there is a world of difference, particularly in how Zombo himself is rendered. I read somewhere earlier in the week that Flint is planning to draw Zombo grey from now on which I'm not too fond of personally, and in the third panel on the final page he looks a bit too wonky, even for a dead chap. Got a touch of the Michael Berrymans.

Even if you disagree with all of this I hope it at least made sense.

johnnystress

The cameos in stickleback have been  mentioned but I also spotted James Robertson justice in dandridge and the black rabbit inle from watership down in zombo

do I win a pencil?

Mabs

WOW WOW WOW!

Just had a parcel arrive this morning, and what should be in it? Well it's only but a letter from Tharg congratulating me on getting my letter published (which will be printed i think in the next Prog). But what's more awesome is that it's LETTER OF THE WEEK!  :D ,Which means i now have a cool Nikolai Dante Graphic Novel (vol.1 - i've always wanted to read about the exploits of Dante, and what better way than this to start?) and a cool Stix figure! Wow. I'm just lost for words right now. Truly, one of the best gifts i could've ever had. Thank you Tharg and 2000ad!

From a truly humbled reader.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Hey watch the spoilers there. People don't want to know who 'Letter of the week' goes to in advance. Heavens to murgatroide...

... I'm joking of course... or am I...

Mabs

Oh balls. Sorry if i spoiled anything. Just couldn't contain the excitement!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

Top job! Ive been fortunate enough to get a few letters published in the meg but no luck so far in the prog, look forward to reading what you had to say Mabs. :D

Link Prime

Nice one Mabs.

Welcome to 'The Beast'. :-\

Mabs

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Goaty

Dodsy

This is the first Prog in ages (probably since Dante ended) that I haven't read Dredd first but I'm really loving the Survival Geeks story. Not sure if it would work over a longer story but I'd love to see it given the chance.

Bring them back Tharg!
Twitter - @dodsy84

The Sherman Kid

HOLD ON A MINUTE! I knew already who this Dredd adversary is [spoiler]Its an alien that erases your very existence past and present[/spoiler], but what happens when Dredd finds out its nature?

The city has been devastated, the majority of the population killed becasue of DoC which resulted from Dredd personally nuking East Meg One during the Apocalyse War.IF Dredd had not existed DoC would not have happened, the Sovs would rule but at least the cits would be alive.It would be a fantastic moment if Dredd considered this even for second and debated where his duty lies.....

Then again the 2TFR(U)T plague may have wiped had the city earlier, or Call-me-Kenneth or Cal or Judge Death...Head hurting know so I'll stop.

Just a thought  ;) :D

amberkraken

Damn, I was so excited that it might be Death back in MC1.

You lot have ruined my day! (joking)