Main Menu

Don't mock goths: future's bright for the men and women in black

Started by Marbles, 21 March, 2006, 05:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

"It is every parent's nightmare: the moment their teenagers adopt black hair dye and white make-up. But a report suggests these children usually have a bright future."

Report in the Independent (see link below)

Link: http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/article352580.ece" target="_blank">Goth's bright future

Remember - dry hair is for squids

House of Usher

Guardian + Independent "Hive Mind" = slow news day.
STRIKE !!!

Marbles

Remember - dry hair is for squids

House of Usher

Reading both of those articles made me think it must be piss-easy to be a features writer for the national press.
STRIKE !!!

thrillpowerseeker

no..i say lets continue to mock goths

House of Usher

I discussed the articles with some friends of mine. The 'goths get good jobs' headline may be a bit misleading if we're extrapolating from the experience of teenage goths c.1987-1990 to todays teenagers.

You can't really infer the future job prospects of today's 16-year-old goths from the banking/IT/academic success of goths currently in their thirties.

Nope. Nice try, though.
STRIKE !!!

Queen Firey-Bou

"It is every parent's nightmare: the moment their teenagers adopt black hair dye and white make-up"

er, no.  if they started wearing burbery, miming to R&B, reading hello magazine & asking for the lastest lap-dancing areobics j-lo DVD for xmas, then i'd worry... oh and DEEsighnEER clothes, thats when they get shown the door.

Misanthrope

I would rather sit in a pub full of goths than a pub full of chavs any day.

The worst thing I could get on my face in a goth pub is someone elses face makeup. In a chav pub it would be a WKD bottle.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Dudley

You can't really infer the future job prospects of today's 16-year-old goths from the banking/IT/academic success of goths currently in their thirties.

Why not?  That's pretty much how the last two administrations have justified their cuts in student funding.

House of Usher

I'm glad there's a bright future ahead for us all then.

(unconvinced Usher)
STRIKE !!!

Wils

I really don't think you can compare 80s goths with the modern plastic 'goths' at all, as they're completely different social groups with different ideas about...just about everything, really. TO me, plaggie goths are in a similar league to chavs, whereas if you don't wear the right uniform and listen to the right bands, you're "not goth" and a social outcast. I think these 2 definitions from Urban Dictionary (with a couple of my amendments) sum the difference up quite well.

Definiton of a Goth

1) A person who likes to dress and act differently to the other people in society, normally in black but some like much brighter colours. They tend to be thinkers, intelligent and more often than not highly creative. They have a satyrical sense of humour, and are able to laugh at both themselves and other people. They listen to and appreciate all sorts of good music. Like *all* social groups, they can be gay/depressed/weird/mentally disturbed, but more often than not they are just normal people.

2) An offshoot of the nu-metal clique who think that to *really* piss off their parents, they'll dress all in black and talk about death and suicide whilst listening to Cradle of Filth, Marilyn Manson and Slipknot because it's "cool". They will always totally disregard and ridicule any music that is not "goth" or any band that has fallen out of fashion that week. They tend to have very little idea of the other type of goths (or anything else other than themselves for that matter) and will probably change their fashion once it becomes "uncool" again.

I, Cosh

Like myself, Wils is clearly an embittered ex-Goth living with the knowledge that it was all better in our day when Goths were real Goths, rather than just a generic term for goths/metallers/punks/idiots in black.

My girlfriend refers to them as Slipneds.
We never really die.

Queen Firey-Bou

i prefer to refer them as people.  i don't really think its up to me to start labeling people with words and definitions based on what colour t-shirt theyre wearing today.

and if people are all dressing the same, i blame the demise of the home sewing machine & the price of fabric today. Goddam it, why are all trousers got two legs, and jumpers, why they all have an neck hole & two arm holes, why all jumper wearing cliques are psuedo wanna-be warm scum i say !

clothes schmothes, wera what the funt ye like . music schmoozic. enjoy.

Funt Solo

I end up getting confused when things are over-categorised.

Like I was walking down the street with a self-confessed metaller - and he said "bloody trendies!"

I said "Who? Where?" and he pointed to a group of people that looked like all the other people.

I also have no idea what the difference between house, jungle, garage and trance are - or metallers, nu mettalers and metalheads - or goths, teenie-goths and pseudo-goths.

Apparently, some people in america that don't want to be categorised as he or she prefer to be called zee.  It was only after I stopped laughing hysterically that I realised they were serious, and quite offended that I thought it was funny.

"I demand the right to be called Loretta!  I demand the right to have children!"

"Where's the foetus gonna gestate?  In a box?"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++