Main Menu

Meg 378 - Face the Future of Law Enforcement.

Started by Trent, 12 November, 2016, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Excellent Ryan Brown Dredd cover evoking Jim Murray to my mind, if a little less cartoony.
Once again an extremely welcome all Dreddverse Meg!

More supernaturally weirdness in Dredd feels a little samey with the Prog coming together but interesting seeing Milligan and Trevallion teamed.
Blunt - sorry pass
Angelic ticks all my boxes. Love tough Cursed Earth stories and this revision of the Angel Gang has it in spades as well as the interest in the characters and how they become our familiar band of psychos.
Anderson concludes but is back next time with a new story.
Features are Thrill Power Overload takes us up to Trifecta, interview with Glyn Dillon and an obituary for Steve Dillon. Dreddlines is back

Floppy is more SinDex covering up to prog 1533 and 2007. I have no recollection of these stories at all and don't remember the boys meeting a smaller Michael Clarke Duncan (although I believe he has cropped up in 2000AD before).
More SinDex next time too apparently but said to be the last one. Shame, these have read well as collected volumes, much better than in the Prog ironically given their history in reprint.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

robert_ellis

Thanks for the Steve Dillon Orbituary. Great stuff.

Smith

Quote from: Trent on 12 November, 2016, 12:11:07 PM
Excellent Ryan Brown Dredd cover evoking Jim Murray to my mind, if a little less cartoony.
Once again an extremely welcome all Dreddverse Meg!

More supernaturally weirdness in Dredd feels a little samey with the Prog coming together but interesting seeing Milligan and Trevallion teamed.
Blunt - sorry pass
Angelic ticks all my boxes. Love tough Cursed Earth stories and this revision of the Angel Gang has it in spades as well as the interest in the characters and how they become our familiar band of psychos.
Anderson concludes but is back next time with a new story.
Features are Thrill Power Overload takes us up to Trifecta, interview with Glyn Dillon and an obituary for Steve Dillon. Dreddlines is back

Floppy is more SinDex covering up to prog 1533 and 2007. I have no recollection of these stories at all and don't remember the boys meeting a smaller Michael Clarke Duncan (although I believe he has cropped up in 2000AD before).
More SinDex next time too apparently but said to be the last one. Shame, these have read well as collected volumes, much better than in the Prog ironically given their history in reprint.

That was my first thought too.  :)
And Im liking Angelic so far.

DrJomster

Only read Dredd so far but had to jump on here and post. Don't want to give anything away so I'll keep it high level.

Really interesting concept, nicely paced script, gorgeous art and high quality lettering. Top quality story opener, basically.

That spooky panel at the top of the last page was particularly excellent!

Roll on next month!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Colin YNWA

Pretty decent Meg all told. Pete Milligan on the surface isn't a natural fit with Dredd in my head, but this sets up some interesting stuff and so lets see where it goes. Have to say Tiernan Trevallion really pulls out all the stops. Best art I can remember by him.

Anderson is a pretty solid story, nothing to earth shattering but a good high octane conclusion to a nice diversion.

The other two strips are fantastic. Been a big fan of Blunt from the start and this episode is no exception as the story crashes to its conclusion. Really hope we have more from this world once we're done.

Angelic has some glorious visuals from Lee Carter who really is getting better and better. Its such a great western as well, okay killing off Jonah Hex was a bit unnecessary (that was Jonah right), but I love a good western and this is certainly that.

Text features (well holding off on Thrillpower Overload) were super and fitting tributes to the great Steve Dillon, celebrating both him and his brother's work.

Pretty good Meg all told.

DrJomster

I can only echo the comments about Lee Carter in Angelic. Some of those panels are just awesome! Particularly close up in a digital Meg. Stunning work, that droid!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Jacqusie

Quote from: DrJomster on 21 November, 2016, 10:01:25 PM
I can only echo the comments about Lee Carter in Angelic. Some of those panels are just awesome! Particularly close up in a digital Meg. Stunning work, that droid!

This has been the best strip in the Meg for me for a while. I don't get all the fawning about Lawless, it's good don't get me wrong, but it's not that good.

Angelic has an atmosphere and pacing that gives space round Pa Angel as the main Character. He doesn't say much, he desn't need to and the sense of anticipation is wonderful.

I know I'm behind by six months or so, I'm trying to catch up, but not very succcessfully...