Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I finished watching SG:U.  It was a show with whole heaps of promise to it.  It utilises the lore of the franchise really well in places, but at other times it's a hindrance.  Especially the pro-military thing, which I don't think works as well with this premise.  I would have liked to see them explore ideas and concepts that they set.  The ethics around using the communication stones, for one.

I also don't like that it is made beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are supposed to be empathising and supporting the incompetent leader, Colonel Young.  He's the Captain Janeway of the SG franchise.  There are places where it is clear that different writers handle different episodes because characterisation fluctuates, so we are left with all these threads left hanging in the air and never addressed.

So it was a clumsy show, but some of the ideas they did explore were done really well.  Robert Carlyle is fantastic in this show.  The rest of the cast are a mixed bag.

It was cut short too soon and had so much potential.  A third season would have shown whether it could stand shoulder to shoulder with the best TV sci-fi or whether it had used up all the inspiration they had for the concept.  We'll never know.  For what it is, I'd say it's very good.

I'm now rewatching SG1

Dandontdare

Stargate is one of those franchises that left me cold. I quite enjoyed the original movie, but never really managed to get interested in the first season of the TV show, then watched in bemusement as spin off after spin off appeared, of which I am totally ignorant.

I did see Christopher Judge interviewed at a sci-fi con once though, and he was a really funny guy. (I didn't know who Kratos was either!)

pictsy

I didn't really get into SG1 to begin with either.  I'm not sure what spurred me on to give it another go, but I ended up appreciating it for what it is.  Silly and dumb.

I couldn't watch all of Atlantis.  It just wasn't particularly entertaining.

CalHab

I'm back to watching Midnight Diner on Netflix. It's an endearing Japanese show that focusses on a single customer of a late-night cafe each episode, and framed around their favourite dish. There are recurring characters, but they often act as a Greek chorus on the episode's subject. The stories are all empathetic with the characters. Highly recommended.

It also sometimes includes cooking tips, which I like.

Radbacker

Watching The Irregulars on Netflix.  Doing an episode a night and must say quite into it by episode 3.  I like the structure with each episode being it's own thing but having an overall story gradually being revealed makes it feel like old school TV rather than the usual binge TV we get on Netflix and Amazon.  Is a different take on the Holmes story (episode 3 and we still haven't even met Sherlock), the young actors are all pretty good.  Belle thought it may have been based on a comic but it doesn't seem so as I can't find information any where.  I'd recommend you give it a look if your into Holmesian stories or just like a good mystery with a touch of horror.

CU Radbacker

TordelBack

Quote from: Radbacker on 21 April, 2021, 04:15:23 AM
Watching The Irregulars on Netflix. 

Tried Dr. Wholmes. Did not like.

Dandontdare

It's not too bad if you can put your sense of disbelief on hold. I eventually twigged that this was colour-blind casting rather than an attempt to portray Victorian London as more multi-cultural than it was (the tip off was the Earl of Westminster - I can see how there may be black faces on the streets, but I'm pretty sure the upper aristocracy were white), but it was a little confusing plot-wise at first, as much of the plot revolves around the parentage of the 'sisters', only one of whom is Chinese.  What did rankle though was a bunch of street orphans living in a cellar who leave 20+ candles burning all night and have a large barrel of beer sitting in their hovel.

Interest faded after about 5 episodes, but I may pick it up again.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 April, 2021, 03:23:45 PM
What did rankle though was a bunch of street orphans living in a cellar who leave 20+ candles burning all night ...

That alone was enough to do me in. No problem with the general style, modern folk and contemporary foibles in an historic-fantasy setting can be fun, I've just seen plenty of this specific one done better between the RDJr Holmes and Enola Holmes, and when it has no interest in its own premise (the infinite candles, the comfy clubhouse, the indeterminate age but clearly adult cast, these are quite obviously not the 'urchins' that the Baker Street Irregular brand implies) nor have I.

Funt Solo

Enjoying Shadow and Bone - high quality fantasy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

That is on my to watch list after I finished Falcon and Winter Soldier. Falcon/Winter soldier is much better attempt than Disney's first attempt via WandaVision (could only struggle trough one episode)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

General satisfaction with Falcon & Winter Soldier here, although it seems likely that a significant subplot was excised from the middle for Covid-fatigue reasons (and others just sort of fizzled), leaving the antagonists' motivations a bit unfocused. The prospect of this show didn't excite me much going in, I find Bucky incredibly dull despite holding Winter Soldier to be the pinnacle of the MCU, but the action was really terrific and the cast fun, and if this kind of exploration of the fall-out from major events is where Disney is taking its streaming offerings, it's welcome to continue.

Crucially it delivered on its promise of personal development for (all) its characters, and if its corporate-woke-dividend messaging was crude and direct rather than subtle or metaphorical, well good.

Although for the life of me I can't understand why the end-credits title wasn't [spoiler]Captain America and Bucky[/spoiler]. It was right there.

broodblik

Yes, Bucky is dull and his flat voice makes him a boring "super" hero.  Still enjoying the show.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

repoman

Masterchef Australia has restarted.  It's the best.

The Legendary Shark

Your Honor. Bryan Cranston stars as a schoolteacher judge whose life spirals out of control when he crosses a line. Rather good, so far.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

Your Honor is a good show. As you watch it you will keep asking yourself the same question how stupid can each of these characters be by doing some silly stuff to escalate the problem