Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levers

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 April, 2021, 10:11:07 AM
Everyone will have their own take on things, but of those in stock (80–92), I highly rate:

Firekind: a John Smith classic that's also among his most coherent and accessible works, featuring an explorer on an alien planet. Backed with the interesting Leatherjack.

The Red Seas: rollocking epic adventure that suffered in the Prog due to the manner in which it was drip-fed over many years. Far better in collected form. (Note: this will run to FOUR books: 83; 87; 93; 101)

Brink: a modern 2000 AD classic, providing an alternate take on a procedural that rapidly goes to some very dark places among the last surviving humans, living in tin cans in space. (This will run to TWO books: 88; 104.)

Fiends of the Eastern Front: a collection of linked stories from across the ages, featuring vampires and the military men who meet and confront them.

I'm also fond of:

Flash: old-school 2000 AD with cowboys herding dinosaurs in Earth's distant past, and battling meat eaters for supremacy. A bit hokey, but then it's old.

Lobster Random: divisive Spurrier-scripted yarn featuring a grumpy war veteran with a penchant for robots and massive lobster claws grafted to his side. I find this a breezy, fun read, but know it rubs some people up the wrong way.

In a more general sense, this is almost a "can't go wrong" extension. Of the books on the Hachette site, the only one I reckon should get in the bin is Greysuit. Looking at the announced list through 111, Mercy Heights is the only one I'm surprised to see in the list. (Although I don't recall it being _bad_ per se, Medivac 318 was a far better 2000 AD 'ER in space', and Mercy Heights for me wasn't as interesting as the solo spin-off featuring a certain blue-skinned character.)

Thanks for the tips. Bah! Red Sea volume 3 immediately out of stock!

Tomwe

QuoteRed Sea volume 3 immediately out of stock!
Forbidden Planet still have 90-93 in stock (93 is Red Seas 3)

https://forbiddenplanet.com/322328-2000ad-ultimate-collection-volume-93/

IndigoPrime

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the stock levels of very recent items on the Hachette website. Be mindful subscribers haven't even received those issues as yet. That said, Forbidden Planet (as per Tomwe's link) is an excellent option for guaranteeing late-stage partwork copies come your way, rather than waiting to see what happens with Hachette. (It's touch and go whether Hachette items listed as OOS will come back into stock. That was pretty random with the Transformers books, for example.)

The Monarch

i may be bias but that indigo prime volume is worth it also i do agree this has been a strong extension so far only book i really didn't like was greysuit

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tomwe on 16 April, 2021, 11:23:09 AM
QuoteRed Sea volume 3 immediately out of stock!
Forbidden Planet still have 90-93 in stock (93 is Red Seas 3)

https://forbiddenplanet.com/322328-2000ad-ultimate-collection-volume-93/

They've got 84 - 93 (and up to 99 available for pre-order).
@jamesfeistdraws

Grumpy Andrew

Do we think the upcoming inclusion of Torture Garden in this collection is the reason it only got a digital only release from Rebellion, or do we think there will be more and more digital only collections in the future?

IndigoPrime

Hard to know what drives the decision making. I'm not overly sure the Hachette collection is direct competition these days, given its extremely limited distribution. That said, I'm also not sure I'd want a softback trade going up against a hardcover that's probably cheaper. Add into that COVID dramatically cutting back production runs and that might be the answer. Or it might not.

The Corinthian

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 13 April, 2021, 01:28:35 PM
Next three covers are up: Dominion, Savage and Jaegir:

I'm hopeful that the Tyranny Rex book will have Will Simpson's cover for the Best of 2000AD 109 on the front, for my money the single filthiest thing Tharg has ever published.

Tomwe

Here's all the Tyranny covers from Barney. That Best Of... is probably my second fave, behind 875. It'll defo be a green one, hey? Probably 1395 more likely.

IndigoPrime

Subscription copies of 93/94 just rocked up here.

sintec

Guess I'll find out if Hachette actually managed to update my address properly in the next few days then

leethomson

I've continued having all my books sent to the office, even though I've been working at home for 12 months. Didn't trust them to change it properly!

sintec

Surprise the books went to my old address - luckily still have keys to the place for a few more days yet so I was able to retreive them this afternoon. 

Red Seas may be short on pages but it's not lacking in thrillpower. Finished it already as I couldn't put it down. Can't wait for the conclusion - it's all hotting up now.

James Stacey

Quote from: leethomson on 22 April, 2021, 04:13:52 PM
I've continued having all my books sent to the office, even though I've been working at home for 12 months. Didn't trust them to change it properly!
I'm the same, I'm happy to have them up to 5 months late if it means not dealing with Hachette's fu¢к up line.

Rara Avis

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 April, 2021, 10:57:56 AM
Subscription copies of 93/94 just rocked up here.

I got 93 & 94 today (yay!) but I didn't get 91 & 92 (boo!). I can't cope with this.