Main Menu

El Mestizo

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 April, 2021, 09:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I couldn't find a thread about this - apologise if there's one I've missed.

There really should a thread as this handsome volume deserves one. Sure I've only just got around to reading this having owned it for almost 3 years - I think - such is the climb to the top of my 'too read list'. Anyway its great package. Good size, nice heavy paper that holds rich deep blacks. If the reproduction is a little fuzzy at times I can only assume that's because of the source material available, its clear that as much care as possible has been put into letting Carlos' art in here shine.

The page count is slight at 60 odd pages, but again you can only work with what you have and this series didn't last too long in Battle. The tale itself packs a lot into the limited page count, as the compacted storytelling of comics of this era really comes into play for better or worse. El Mestizo, the slave freed and turned gun for hire roams across Civil War torn America playing for both sides as his needs for justice tell him.

The story draws heavily on 'A fist full of dollars' as our hero plays both sides to get to the result he wants. The tight storytelling means things move an at brisk, thrilling pace, though little has room to develop and be fleshed out. As said its very of it time but the story is fun, effectively crafted 70s kids comic fare.

The star is of course the art with Carlos Ezquerra drawing ever page and from the very first page showing a keen sense of what makes a western work. Again the compacted style doesn't let the art sing as much as it would in 2000ad with 10 plus panels to a page but it really is a delight on the eye. Particularly the later parts were Carlos seem to stretch out with his style a little more. With images drawn 'in negative' and more space allowed for some dramatic page design and layouts. Its wonderful stuff and boy does Carlos do a good horse!

Its a really nice look back and its a real shame we didn't get more of this stuff as a fan of westerns I'd have lapped up more adventures as the war ends in the last part and El Mestizo decides to go back to Mexico as there's always a war brewing there. 

AlexF

I got this collection as an Xmas present last year and it was well good! It's a superb package, a delight to hold in the hands and read - but more importantly, as you say, Colin, it's just a really fun story, well told, and very unusual compared to pretty much anything Rebellion has put out. I'm not really a western fan, but that tends to mean when I do read (or more typically, watch) them, I'm usually going for things that have strong reputations and they're typically very good. El Mestizo is one of those.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 April, 2021, 09:32:14 AM
I've only just got around to reading this having owned it for almost 3 years.

So it's not just me then....I've had since it came out, and I haven't read it yet either.

The Corinthian

It's great... but it must have looked really peculiar to kids reading Battle in the late 1970s.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Nice summary Colin, this collection definitely deserves a thread. When El Mestizo arrived I was pleasantly surprised  it was a nice hardback, but a little short - I wish it had gone on much longer. But like you say, there is a lot of action/story packed into these pages. Ezquerra's art is onpoint, I really enjoyed seeing his take on a Western (although Strontium Dog is a Western itself). This just moved to the top of my re-read list.

How about a continuation with John Mccrea on art duties?

Colin YNWA

Wow so much energy I that piece by McCrea!

Rogue Judge

It's a beauty! And currently for sale on McCrea's website...

https://johnmccreacomicart.bigcartel.com/product/el-mestizo

Colin YNWA

Very nice Leopard of Lime Street there as well.

Leigh S

I also have an unread El Mestizo on the shelf - think it might have come ouot a bit too close to Carlos leaving us for me to dive into.... all this talk has got it off the shelf though!

Richard

It's a good character, and Ezquerra's art is fantastic.