Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Zenith Phase 3 - I've just learned from tvtropes.com the reason Thunderbolt Jason's magic belt, which only worked for right and justice, wasn't working for him.

I'd thought it was just a plot device to make him vulnerable like all of the previously mighty heroes therein. [spoiler]Not so - it was a huge clue that what the heroes thought was a noble act of saving the multiverse from the Lloigor was actually, unknown to them, a project to hand it straight to the dark gods in question.[/spoiler]

Christ, I love obsessing over Zenith.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

Yeah - reading it at the time, I just assumed his belt issues were part of the general mockery of the ineffectiveness of most of the heroes in the face of cosmic horror, but of course Morrison's actually trying to flag up the revelation coming a few episodes later...

Frank

Not 2000ad, but what the hell. Like everyone else on Earth, I've never seen the UK A Star Is Born rip-off Breaking Glass. Google tells me it predated Disney's Tron by 2 years*

* The production designer of Breaking Glass was probably ripping off something they'd seen at an art exhibition or a fashion show, but following the Lipstick Traces of influence is interesting in itself

JayzusB.Christ

I've a vague memory of that song from the first time round. Don't think I've heard it since.  I love it. I'm going to listen to it now as I clean my boat.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 December, 2018, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: Frank on 15 December, 2018, 04:04:40 PM
I've never seen the UK A Star Is Born rip-off Breaking Glass

I've a vague memory of that song from the first time round. Don't think I've heard it since.  I love it. I'm going to listen to it now as I clean my boat.

The most interesting thing my rabbit hole dive turned up was that the US release of the film ends on that scene and the triumphant note it strikes.

The UK version ends with the main character leaving the stage to find the band have broken up, her relationship's over, and her management have conned her into selling out. She suffers a nervous breakdown on the tube and ends the film drooling in a sanitorium!

Two cultures, divided by more than our common language.

M.I.K.

I definitely remember that scene with the outfit being used as an off-the-peg music video for the song at the time, so I don't think it was particularly obscure. I also remember really liking the song, even though I was totally aware it was about the end of the world and everybody dying and I was five.

Dandontdare

I really need to watch breaking glass - I love Hazel O'Connor. Until I watched that vid (followed by Will you) I'd forgotten about the movie, but what a couple of fantastic songs (though I do remember sneaking a look at one of my big brother's collection of bongo mags that featured her in its 'celebrity nudes' section - an old glamour shoot that had her posing on packing crates in some dusty attic *nostalgic sigh*)

JayzusB.Christ

I've just realised that Shaun the Sheep is possibly a pun, which doesn't work in an Irish accent.

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 December, 2018, 04:44:34 PM

I'm hoping that's not a euphemism  :-[
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 December, 2018, 02:56:19 PM
I've just realised that Shaun the Sheep is possibly a pun,

Only if you say it in a clipped accent.
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

I've just realised that Shaun the Sheep is possibly a pun, which doesn't work in an Irish accent.

Which bit doesn't work in an Irish accent? Shaun / Sean or shorn?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 18 December, 2018, 03:34:40 PM

The 'r ' in shorn would always be pronounced here, so they don't sound the same.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 December, 2018, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 18 December, 2018, 03:34:40 PM

The 'r ' in shorn would always be pronounced here, so they don't sound the same.

(having asked that, I would pronounce them the same, and it took me a while to realise)

JayzusB.Christ

Incidentally when I was living in Beijing, they would play Shaun the Sheep in a loop on screens in subway trains.  I saw Chinese people fighting back tears of stifled laughter looking at it. Some things are funny everywhere.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 28 June, 2017, 06:43:45 PM
My grud...

Ro-Busters is a pun on 'robust'!

HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THAT?!?

"I ain't afraid of no robe..."
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"