Main Menu

Fallout 4

Started by Link Prime, 02 June, 2015, 04:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Game are confirmed as the exclusive sellers of the Pip-Boy Special Edition (in UK / ROI).
They've also sent an update to me via email; pre-orders with a 20% deposit (for either the standard or Pip-Boy edition) will make you a member of the 'Fallout Club'.

A free Fallout Bobble-head is the best membership Perk.

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=639265&articleId=639266&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151

Goaty

Fab! Fallout 4 confirmed for no multiplayer!

ThryllSeekyr

Normally, I would be excited for this too, but was left kind of cold when I fired up Fall-Out Three -Las-Vegas and stopped playing after the first hour or so. Aside from the novel way of creating your avatar, the gameplay just seemed very sub standard and poorer graphics than what I expected. I'm not sure what you call it. But it's feeling that nearly every where I got him to walk, his feet didn't seem to be making contact with the ground. Which spoiled the immersion and I shot that ladies (The one who was training me!) dog by accident and couldn't move that part of the game forward without starting again.

Although, I may get back into the game sometime in the future and sometime before Fallout Four  has arrived. IT may be have been improved enough like most games that people haven't given up on like Elite-Dangerous and the latest Witcher game.

I love playing those, but with one of those I skipped their intermediate or all previous versions as both games now very payer-friendly.

jacob g

Damn, I was dissapointed by both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. For me New Vegas was a little bit more enjoyable but still both this games ain't the Fallout I used to love. Yet I still hope Fallout 4 will be a good game, with better worldbuilding than last two games from franchise.
margaritas ante porcos

Theblazeuk

IDK New Vegas won me over with its (ultimately shallow) Cesar's Legion. A terrible yet disciplined army of slavers marching across the Wasteland was a nice change from Supermutants, the Enclave and generic raiders. Not all the threats need to come from the Old World.

Professor Bear

The worldbuilding is about the only thing that was good in New Vegas, which was a bit of a Jenga Tower of ideas compared to the much tighter Fallout 3 (or at least until the Broken Steel DLC was released and undermined the game's natural end point and narrative themes).

Greg M.

Quote from: Fitba McHurdygurdy on 10 July, 2015, 01:17:04 PM
The worldbuilding is about the only thing that was good in New Vegas, which was a bit of a Jenga Tower of ideas compared to the much tighter Fallout 3 (or at least until the Broken Steel DLC was released and undermined the game's natural end point and narrative themes).

I get what you mean about the thematic appropriateness of the original ending. That said, I feel it was kinda undermined by the fact you have a companion whose invulnerability to huge amounts of radiation has already been actively demonstrated as a plot point. It may be symbolically apt for the Lone Wanderer to sacrifice himself, but it doesn't make any logical sense to do so when you have either Fawkes or Charon around. For that reason, the DLC's option to get them on the case, or for you to survive anyway works - you've spent the whole game being tempted with the possibility of being part of the Brotherhood, it's good to actually get to play it out.

Professor Bear

You didn't have to sacrifice yourself, though, you always had the option to ask your follower to go into the reactor in your stead, it was just that doing so meant your character hadn't learned the value of sacrifice within the binary good-or-bad karma system of the game.

Greg M.

Pre-DLC, if you asked Fawkes to go in, he refused, and said it was your destiny (even though him doing so would have harmed no-one - he would've been fine, the radiation he trudged through for the GECK was far more severe.) Post-DLC, he admits you changed his destiny, so he should help you change yours. To me that, that seems to fit in perfectly with the game's idea of karma. So I don't think Broken Steel undermines the game's themes - it actually corrects a plot slip-up.

Professor Bear

I meant you could ask Lyons, who you're accompanying for the final leg.  You can't ask your regular followers to complete quests for you in the rest of the game (Fawkes getting the GECK is part of his side quest), so I don't see why that would change for the very end of it.

Don't get me wrong, it was nice to see how the wasteland panned out, but it made a nonsense of the main storyline and I'd rather you had to play out the DLC as a different character than the one whose story was done.

Theblazeuk

Didn't particularly bother me. Thought it was dumb to have to convince someone else to sacrifice themselves when I had someone who could survive it all along.

Professor Bear

There's no actual difference between getting a follower immune to radiation to go into Project Purity or getting Lyons to do it because you're still not doing it yourself.  By design this moment (the end of the game) is a binary choice for your character to make and it wouldn't be much of a resolution if you negotiated your way out.

Theblazeuk

There is no difference between getting someone else to die in your place or just having someone push a button to no ill effect - because ultimately, you have surrendered your agency by doing so? That is some Ayn Rand style philosophy man :) 

Professor Bear

You are required to make one of two prerequisite choices.

Theblazeuk

Conversely I am very happy to see more than binary choices. I talked a mutant-computer hybrid to death in the first one after all.