Main Menu

Why are new people put off by the board?

Started by Dark Jimbo, 11 June, 2006, 04:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

This board doesn't look like other boards because when I designed it I didn't use other boards.

And quite right too - I am tired of the sheer amount of bells and whistles nearly every forum throws in. I was replacing phpBB recently and the alternatives nearly reduced me to tears.

I wasn't saying familiarity was necessarily a good thing on the usability front (I like righthand side navigation) but it can steepen the learning curve. Just in case I should also take the opportunity to say my comments weren't critical of the good work you do here - as I said there needn't be any changes. In fact the 2000 AD site is one of the best comic sites I've used - the width and breadth of infomration is impressive and it kicks the ass of sites like DC, Marvel, IDW, Image, etc.

However, a guide seems a bit pointless when so many people don't even try clicking on the Help link at the top of the page.

Ah ha!! Thats exactly what I was looking for!! Would it be possible to have a link to that with the buttons in the forum area (I hadn't checked that as it seemed out of the flow of the forum and in the more general site area and I've never had a problem with the site itself).

What's a link ladder? Is that the same as breadcrumbs?

Yep but gluten-free.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Bolt-01

This was my first board, and I likes it just fine as it is. It is simple and straight forward.

Long may it continue.

I also agree with Wake about the edit. It could be waay more confusing if folks can just remove whole chunks of stupidity and leave the replies behind.

Bolt-01.