Main Menu

The Debate Debate

Started by paulvonscott, 02 February, 2004, 11:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

I think if people want rational debates that don't descend into madness, people should be entitled to have them.

I suggest a DEBATE subject tag for threads.  

For debates to be based around a single narrowly defined question, or a debate constructed tighter than the hutton report, that we can all discuss.  

Perhaps there is a need for someone to be an impartial moderator.

To keep it impersonal and objective.

If the debate needs opening up for another interesting point, then why not use another thread?  This way you might get more on topic threads as well as more rational ones.

All of this could be flagged up with a DEBATE thread and all the groundrules imposed from the start.

I appreciate it's formal, but I say this because we all like talking about 2000AD, we all have conflicting views and I think most of us would want to have less heated debates.

What do people think?

Matt Timson

I think you should send me those cocking scripts...
Pffft...

Queen Firey-Bou

hmmm, a debate tag sounds good, but i bet everyone will resist the idea of rules, so why do things get heated & personal, because trolls like to wind up people but back down from a rational debate with comments like "i've just come"... no matter how you moderate there will always be nasty maggoty piece of humanity getting their jollies off thinking theyre annoying complete strangers. luckily most of us are pretty reasonable... please let me know if & when i step over the line, & i'll happily debate it !

rc

Where does the division lie between heated/less heated debates? Less heated meaning what exactly? Less passionate? Less picky? Less "difficult" boarders involved? Less personal references? Less "troll" accusations, i.e. name calling i.e. "flaming"? Less bandwagon jumping?

"Special threads" may keep those who consider themselves in a certain mindset group happy and blood pressures down, but I fear such a move may generate sniggering towards the old fogeys who shuffle over to them.

Abusive boarders will no doubt be dealt with - anyone else should be able to mix freely and join in a discussion.

judge dreddd

perhaps wake could create virtual bullets and i could shout 'EXECUTION ROUND' and destory their icon if they get out of hand ?

just a thought..

paulvonscott

Well RC, you wouldn't have to use the tag if you wanted something differant.  You could use the debate tag and say at the start that it's an open debate and people can go off on whatever tangent they want.  

By less heated I mean less irritation, frustration and exasperation and more debates about 2000AD, not what we think of each other.

I don't know if you mean I'm of a certain mindset or an old fogey, but either way I'll let you have the last word on that argument.

Queen Firey-Bou

well arsy/ RC, how very calm & rational of you, may i point other boarders in the direction of RC's previous posts on a range of subjects, & a pattern emerges. ooops sorry thats personal, but you reacting to my rational arguements by saying youve "just come", kind of knocks the i'm mr sensible thing into touch.

i think we should have an event at dredd con, rather like pitch fest, but more, anyone who has a problem come & slugg it out in person, cos if anyone in real life spoke to me the way arsy has, i'd kick ten shades of cack out of them.

sorry paul.

Dunk!

Hey! this debate's getting heated.

Tulkas (not helping)
"Trust we"

paulvonscott

Heh, that's okay Tulk.

Yeah I'd rather you didn't argue with rc in here Bou, mainly because it will come to dominate this thread like the Stront and Sin Dex ones.  I appreciate it's difficult when the annoyance factor is in.

As it is I fear the threads already fucked :)

Cheers tho folks!

rc

"previous posts on range of subjects... pattern emerges..." more sweeping accusations and demonising! But with no substance, Bou!

Regarding just coming, I mentioned [to WoD actually, but never mind] in the OutOfBody thread that I had indeed just come. Come to the board. To make posts.

Jeez!

paulvonscott

RC, as I said (equally) to Bou, I'd rather you kept arguments with people out of this thread.  If you want to have a barney with people take it to another thread please.

This genuinely isn't about you or an attack on you.

rc

Less irritation, frustration and exasperation?

How on earth can you govern such human emotions, or even think about it?

I always thought the 2000AD "droids" tag was just a bit of fun, now I'm not so sure some folk are not actually robots...

rc

paulvonscott

See you're just being rude now rc.

Dunk!

Well technically I'm an android, due to my organic brain, but I'm impressed the fact has leaked out through my posts.

Try guessing what colour my paint work is?
"Trust we"