Main Menu

1325 Slaine - A Case for the Defence

Started by Cyber-Matt, 30 January, 2003, 11:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Matt

Don't read this if you don't yet know what happens at the end of Prog 1325's episode of Slaine...

I don't make a habit of posting on this message board as I try to stay off the Internet period, but I feel I have to defend Pat over some of the criticisms levelled at him with regard to the manner of Niamh's death.

In the first draft of his script, Pat had the scene between Niamh and Moloch close on them fighting, then cutting to Slaine finding his dying wife. It was my suggestion that we give Niamh - a long-term supporting character - a death scene to remember, which would make Slaine's desire for vengeance all the more powerful. She's been an important character in the Slaine stories, and to gloss over her death seemed like a missed opportunity. It  was intentionally shocking, but it needed to be if it was going to shake Slaine's world to the core...

So, I apologise if you were offended by the manner of her death, as I am responsible to a large extent. It was a horrific page - and Clint did a fantastic job - but that's the nature of evil...

As for the criticism of it being on the inside back page, I admit that passed me by. Clint requested that the story be run in double page spreads - hence the way it's moved around the comic to accomodate, for example, a necessary page-turn (i.e. the end of part 3 of Caballistics) or a lovely centre-spread by John Burns in part 5 of Nikolai Dante.  It never occurred to me that putting the end of Slaine on the inside back cover would be a problem, as I tend to read fiction from the front and work my way forward.

But then I always was a traditionalist.

Splundig vur Thrigg,
Matt.

The Monarch

so was this the death that was hinted back a few progs ago then

Queen Firey-Bou

ahh thanks for the insights Mr Cyber-matt. My apologies to Mr Mills whom i challenged to an arguement. You musta realised that a story line like this would provoke a reaction, I'm just glad i was on hand to act as spokeswoman for the obligatoryily outraged milit-aunt celtic warrioresses everywhere. remember all you sea demons "NO means NO! no matter how short the skirt!"
guess the input bags gonni be a tad heavy tho'.

ukdane

Did I miss something?
Why was her death shocking and horrific?
Cheers

-Daney

almighty mat

Because 'haunching' (was it haunching that Moloch said? I think it was...) means, y'know, doing the 'naughty'.

mat

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

almighty mat

Well, in most circles impaling a lady through the midsection with a serrated blade, double handed broadsword and then haunching her is considered rather bad form. He didn't even offer to lay his jacket on the floor for her to lie on!

mat

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

Tex Hex

"Thats the nature of evil"? Thats all very well, but 2K is still a kids comic and not, for example, Dantes Inferno. It was a plain abuse of responsibility.

Mangamax

O.k she's dead but hasn't it already been established that Slaine meets up with her future incarnations time and time again? (forgive the pun)
He's already met her again as a nun and that Crusader bloke and gawd knows how many other times when i wasn't buying.
Maybe he wants the original and - when he's Robin Hood - he wasn't the Marion kind...
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

mongor2003

I dont think 2000ad's REALLY been aimed at kids for years now, considering the average age of most readers is now in the 20/30 something age bracket I dont think this is really an issue anymore. Besides, Moloch doesn't use the word "rape" and actual penetration is not shown, any 10 year olds reading this prog may just as well assume in thier niaveity that Moloch is straddling Niamh to administer his death blow as opposed to sexually violating her. Its called "working on two levels" something 2000ad has been doing very well right since 1977.

ukdane

Its called "working on two levels" something 2000ad has been doing very well right since 1977.

As do elevators and stairs!
Cheers

-Daney

petemaskreplica

well, speaking as a younger reader (15), i'd have to say that this was a particularly unpleasant scene. i'm not a big slaine fan, but i've seen a lot of fans younger than me at the dreddcons who (like me) worship at the feet of tharg each week, and i'm not sure they'd like it either...

MOONSHINE

I reckon even 10 year olds would figure out
that moloch was shagging Niamh. Im glad some one used the word 'rape', and readership age aside its still a shocking thing to read in a comic.

In this case it was pertinent to the plot and seems to be crucial in propelling slaines story forward, so Ive no problem with it.

But I betcha if the tabloids caught onto this one a witchunt would follow.

Wake

I haven't seen more than a handful of under 18s at any of the three DreddCons.

Wake