Main Menu

Charlie Brooker: 10pm, Wed, BBC4

Started by wrly_bird, 22 March, 2009, 09:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

Charlie Brooker's back this Wednesday with his new series NEWSWIPE, a Daily Show-style swipe at the bottomless chasm of 24-hour news.

Keef Monkey

Nice one! When he mentioned he had a new show with "wipe" in the title I was hoping it would be a video games show, he knows his games and it's years since there was a decent show devoted to them. Still, any Brooker is good news, hopefully iy'll be cracking!

Colin YNWA

Yep saw an advert for this the other day. Anything by Charlie Brooker gotta be worth it.

satchmo

Splendid!
(His books Screen Burn and Dawn of The Dumb are 3 quid each in the HMV sale at the minute by the way.)

worldshown

Thanks for mentioning the books satchmo. That sounds like £6 well spent.

Peter Wolf

Hasnt the  rolling repetitive bottomless chasm of 24 hr news been covered before by Charlie Brooker ?

Unless i am thinking of someone else of course.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Buttonman

The non-broadcast pilot for this showed up on thebox.bz and it was pretty funny although he did make an off colour remark about the underage Chinese gymnast that the Daily Mail would have crucified him for. Not read his book but I'll keep an eye out for them.

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: "peterwolf"Hasnt the  rolling repetitive bottomless chasm of 24 hr news been covered before by Charlie Brooker ?

Unless i am thinking of someone else of course.

I think he dedicated a Screenwipe to the practice.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

wrly_bird

It's really quite terrifying that the sort of news coverage brilliantly parodied years ago by THE DAY TODAY has since come to pass. Last month, I saw a London Tonight headline which read - I swear to God this is true! - "Police Hunt Radioactive Paedophile!"
Did anyone else see this...? God, I hope so. I really don't want to have been dreaming about glow-in-the-dark child molesters.

radiator

QuoteIt's really quite terrifying that the sort of news coverage brilliantly parodied years ago by THE DAY TODAY has since come to pass.

Yep, and TV listings become more and more like TVGoHome.

Colin YNWA

There was a headline on Sky News during the recent snowy spell "Snowageddon".

Charlie Brooker can't investigate and comment on modern news coverage enough I'd say!

worldshown

Quote from: "wrly_bird""Police Hunt Radioactive Paedophile!"
Did anyone else see this...? God, I hope so. I really don't want to have been dreaming about glow-in-the-dark child molesters.

You're not going mad wrly, I saw the same headline on Yahoo news.

Hoagy

Quote(His books Screen Burn and Dawn of The Dumb are 3 quid each in the HMV sale at the minute by the way.)

Them'd make some good toilet books I'll be betting.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Roger Godpleton

On the same website (msn) I saw the radioactive paedo as well as "Mother swaps kids for Cockateil".
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Krombasher"
Quote(His books Screen Burn and Dawn of The Dumb are 3 quid each in the HMV sale at the minute by the way.)
Them'd make some good toilet books I'll be betting.

Toilet roll yes. Toilet brush yes. Toilet book no.
(C) S Lee

As for Charlie Brooker, there's something about his humour that works less well on screen - to read it is hilarious, to hear him say it out loud not as much.