Main Menu

Clash of the Titans

Started by wrly_bird, 31 March, 2010, 09:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

Saw this last night. Utter f***ing shod! Reworks classical myth into some sort of generic fantasy stodge (sub-Robert Jordan and pretty heavily influenced by the God of War games - so I'm told). Completely flavourless; about as Greek as a McDonald's! Less like 300, more like the Mummy movies (although less jokey). Action scenes all frantic muddy CG, not in the least bit involving. Medusa sequence (the best bit in the original) a total washout. Completely nonsensical script; one of those movies that seems to think just because it's fantasy it can get away with any daft contrivance. Sam Worthington is terrible. No reason whatsoever for this to be in 3D. Couple of nice design touches, but really that's it. As awful as the original was, this - somehow - is even worse! Wait for the DVD, if at all!

Dan Kelly

As far as I am concerned there is only one Clash of the Titans, and it's not this one.

TordelBack

Dagnabbit, I was contriving to get a babysitter and see this for my birthday.  Really that bad?  Bah, trailer looked like fun.  Not even any surprise boobies?

ThryllSeekyr

Yeah, it certainly looks good, but I thought they could make Liam Neeson look more godly and not like longbeard in gleaming plate armour.

He just doesn't quite right.

The rest of it look superb, and I want a second, third, fourth, fifth opinion before I write it off as Xena-Spam.

wrly_bird

Not sure what everyone else thought. A couple of guys I know from SFX said they didn't like it tho.
No surprises boobies, I'm afraid. Although, Gemma Arterton is gorgeousness on a stick!

dracula1

Long live Ray Harryhausen!!!!!

Van Dom

Is this PG though? I mean, would it stand up as a kids movie. My daughter is 8 now and I'm thinking its about time I start taking her to the cinema to see some proper movies, instead of kiddie shite... Was thinking this might be one to start with... Possibly not?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Goaty

Quote from: Van Dom on 31 March, 2010, 04:15:30 PM
Is this PG though? I mean, would it stand up as a kids movie. My daughter is 8 now and I'm thinking its about time I start taking her to the cinema to see some proper movies, instead of kiddie shite... Was thinking this might be one to start with... Possibly not?

It's 12A, so you can, but do you want take her to violent film with scary monsters

Van Dom

No, I didn't realise it was a 12A.
Oh well...Nanny Mc F**king Phee it is then...
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

wrly_bird

Van Dom, why not take your little one to see How to Train Your Dragon. Haven't seen it myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it...

Here's some more Clash reviews. Screen International, Hollywood Reporter and Variety are usually pretty reliable...

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/clash_of_the_titans_2010/

Mike Gloady

Saw the original in the supermarket for £3.  Sorted. 

I don't do remakes, there's almost NEVER any point - unless you're dong something new and different, but that's rare as hell (hopefully Dredd will fall into this category).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Goatilocks

Greek mythology gore/Xena-spam - NSFW:

Lair of the Minotaur's War Metal Battle Master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl7SonqCNzI

Mangamax

On the run up to it, it was a case of "It can't be worse than the original".
Then hear the press reviews are bad and its "Maybe it can".
So, sat down Thurs morning not expecting much and...
Well, colour me suprised - LOVED it.
A proper throw back to fun, silly fantasy romps, its got great creature design work, stunning sets and excellent action sequences. Very Harryhausen in fact. Indeed, take the effects work out and you could have one of his Sinbad films.
SO nice to see the authentic looking clobber and battles of LOTR or 300 say, but without the ponderous, humourless baggage that goes with it.
And that's what the film has - a sense of lightweightness that equates to fun rather than silly. And the mechanical owls in it. But its alright - its done brilliantly!
Highlights - the Kraken (so much better than the trailer makes out), Charon and the giant Scorpions.
Oh, and Raph Fiennes in his black armour and smoke cloak.
Until he opens his mouth...
And here's the but bit:
The script is so buttock-clentchingly awful, you'd swear it was a spoof. Which is a shame as it does take you out of the film - the oft repeated chant in the Medusa's lair of "Eye's Down" had me thinking i was in a bingo hall and the frequent outbursts of "lets go to Argos" etc means something quite different to UK shoppers.
So, visually - brilliant. Audiably - naff.
While on a downer, the other thing that's a let down is, strangely, the films key character:
Medusa.
There's a total flip fo the coin: the original was poor with a great Medusa, here its a great film with a poor Medusa.
There's nothing wrong with her body, or her snakes, which are great. Its the face. they've gone for a CGI of a real person but its done SO badly that its on par with the Scorpion King finale. Such a shame. The original sequence was a masterwork in mood and atmosphere, building up the suspense to the reveal of Mr Harryhausens most evil looking creation.
Here we get nothing of that - just a fast moving, screeching, blundering, giggling CGI supermodel implanted onto a decent snake body.
As i say, a real shame. If she's matched the rest, and the script was better, it would be film of the year.

The perspective on that chairs all wrong

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 31 March, 2010, 07:26:41 PM
Saw the original in the supermarket for £3.  Sorted. 

I don't do remakes, there's almost NEVER any point - unless you're dong something new and different, but that's rare as hell (hopefully Dredd will fall into this category).

Generally I'd agree with you Mike, but Carpenter's "The Thing" and Cronenberg's (spelling?) "The Fly" are great!

JamesC

I loved it!
It's quite different from the original. There are some great action sequences and some arsom monsters. It's one of those films that made me feel like I was 10 again - a bit like Star Trek.