Main Menu

The Expendables

Started by zombemybabynow, 11 August, 2010, 08:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

I'm quite interested to see Seagal, play the bad guy, (presumably) in MACHETE, out of morbid curiosity.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Kerrin

Saw The Expendables last night and it rocked. Some of the dumbest fucking dialogue I've ever heard and some of the greatest beat 'em butchery I've ever seen. Fantastically brilliant AND shit at the same time. Class.

Jared Katooie

Terrible plot, no characterisation, inaudible dialog, great explosions, lame CGI, good action sequences (occasionaly ruined by choppy editing).

I rate it a high D+.

On a side note, what was the deal with [spoiler]the fancy bullet[/spoiler] that what's-his-face was going on about? Is it just me, or did he never use the bloody thing?

the shutdown man

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 19 August, 2010, 10:56:02 PM

On a side note, what was the deal with [spoiler]the fancy bullet[/spoiler] that what's-his-face was going on about? Is it just me, or did he never use the bloody thing?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm told that's what he used to blow up the guard towers, but it's hard to tell.

On a similar note, what was with Jet Li's "I do/don't have a family" thing? Was that a character quirk or did they just forget to write the rest?
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Christov

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 19 August, 2010, 06:59:14 PM
Betcha wouldn't say it to his face though!  ;)
Oh God no. He'd fold me like a piece of paper.

Tiplodocus

He's a fat fucker these days; i reckon you could say your piece and leg it.

Steven Seagal is "OUT OF BREATH".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 August, 2010, 05:24:33 PM
He's a fat fucker these days; i reckon you could say your piece and leg it.

Steven Seagal is "OUT OF BREATH".

I think I watched some of one of his recent movies, he only actively took part in one fight scene and it was largely filmed from the neck up. Never mind, at least the mafia aren't forcing him to make crap movies anymore.

Kerrin

The big auto shotgun was the AA-12 and it really does fire a 12 bore mini-grenade. There's a Youtube clip from Future Weapons here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrizaO-X00

Looks like fun.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: the shutdown man on 20 August, 2010, 09:05:08 AM
On a similar note, what was with Jet Li's "I do/don't have a family" thing? Was that a character quirk or did they just forget to write the rest?

Character quirk. The only funny bit in the movie too.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Kerrin on 20 August, 2010, 05:54:28 PM
The big auto shotgun was the AA-12 and it really does fire a 12 bore mini-grenade. There's a Youtube clip from Future Weapons here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrizaO-X00

Looks like fun.

That's the weapon used for room clearance and CQB. When I was in Belize the pointman on all patrols would carry a shotgun with the safety off, just in case we came upon a wild pig. One shot and the fucker was down. Imagine hitting it with a drum from this, there would be bugger all left  :lol:

chris_askham

Absolutely appallingly bad film.

But at the same time I'm wondering if I just saw it on an off day, because I have no problem with 80's action movies, and lots of folk seem to have loved it and even my missus said it was okay. There were a couple of good gags, but I was bored 5 minutes into the film and wished I'd stayed at home.

And while the Arnie scene was pretty funny, the Bruce Willis cameo seemed a bit pointless.

Maybe I'll watch it on tv in 10 years time and realise I was wrong all along.

w3bz

This thread has collectively given me the horn to go and see this film now - I thought it was going to be arse wrapped in budget...or is that the other way around...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: w3bz on 22 August, 2010, 01:10:12 PM
This thread has collectively given me the horn to go and see this film now - I thought it was going to be arse wrapped in budget...or is that the other way around...

Honestly? I can't claim it's a good film, but I can admire it for being utterly unapologetic about the kind of movie it is, and for doing it incredibly well. I enjoyed every minute of it, but I've always had a soft spot for films where large, sweaty men beat each other to a pulp and blow up a whole lot of stuff.

There's a moment, about five minutes in -- you'll know it when it comes -- and if you don't laugh out loud or feel the urge to stand up and applaud, you may as well get up and leave, because this isn't the movie for you...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Kerrin

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 August, 2010, 01:45:43 PMThere's a moment, about five minutes in -- you'll know it when it comes -- and if you don't laugh out loud or feel the urge to stand up and applaud, you may as well get up and leave, because this isn't the movie for you...

I'm guessing that's the [spoiler]warning shot[/spoiler].

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Kerrin on 22 August, 2010, 02:13:52 PM
I'm guessing that's the [spoiler]warning shot[/spoiler].

Oh, yes. :-)

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.