Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smiffy

Ming, I'm sorry if I misunderstood what this thread was about. If a moderator wants to delete my post I'll not spit my dummy out.

The "chaos" symbol from Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion or multiverse books turns up in Nemesis. It's clearer more on the interior pages of the prog but you can see the symbol in the top righthand corner of the below cover.

(Off-topic but included in case it will make Ming's brother feel any better: There were a number of similarities between Nemesis and the Multiverse stories. From the Hawkmoon books, the traditional baddies (the Germans, the aliens) were the goodies and the traditonal goodies were the baddies (the British). The baddies (the Termites, the British) also wore face-covering helmets and masks. The whole "chaos" versus order thing runs through most if not all of the multiverse books. The Gothic Empire storyline (the steampunk aliens) also seems to be inspired in part by Moorcock's The Warlord of the Air (the first steampunk novel (people will try to tell you otherwise online), published in 1971, with its futuristic Victoriana technology and whatnot).)

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Alski

Love it - a few fine examples of Twothy art droids nicking other people's designs so they can finish early and go for a long oil break.

The Rondo Hatton was obviously not a "swipe", although pinching the gun design from Blake's 7 certainly is. There's photo reference and there's blatant theivery.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

smiffy

Found a better example of the Chaos badge on Mr Brood's CAF gallery: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=923500&GSub=134078# Nemesis by Bryan Talbot; chaos shield by John Picacio.

SuperSurfer

I reckon the Venetians of the 16th century copied Nemesis.

Skullmo

This 70s book about robots that I have and Little Mo from Ro-Busters

There is a better picture of him in it but I can't find the book!

Andy_Lee

Skullmo, I've got that book somewhere. Most of the extra characters from the Robusters Rise and fall story are in there.

Skullmo

I seemed to remember that is the case - let's see some pictures  :lol:

ming

Quote from: Skullmo on 04 November, 2013, 08:32:37 AM
I seemed to remember that is the case - let's see some pictures  :lol:

Great find!  If you or Andy could dig that book out I'd love to see more...

Andy_Lee

There's a couple from Robots: Fact, Fiction and prediction

Mo

Gottlieb

and Casey

I'm also super sure I've seen Dr Feely-Good as a welding or medical robot in something.

Also has anyone mentioned the Matchbox K2001 Raider Command yet?

TordelBack

Wow, that is truly fantastic - never knew about any of that.  Is that O'Neill, McMahon and Dorey all using the same Mills-supplied reference, or are the gang's looks established by just one of them?  Thanks a million, AndyLee and Skullmo:  da eyes of da movement truly are everywhere!

SuperSurfer

Meanwhile on Sauropod Vertebra Picture of the Week dino nerds are getting their vertebrae in a twist over:

"2000 AD's flagrantly plagiarised Brontosaurus"
"Like the recent Compsognathus, this is a card from the "Flesh" card-game that was printed across several progs (issues) of the comic 2000 AD in 1977. This one is from the back cover of Prog 10. (Click through the picture for the whole back cover.)

What's interesting about this one is how very flagrant a rip-off it is of Rudolph Zallinger's 1960 painting of Brontosaurus being attacked by Allosaurus:"

http://svpow.com/2012/10/18/2000-ads-flagrantly-plagiarised-brontosaurus/

My beef (or Flesh) with that card game is that I destroyed several good progs for it including IIRC that episode of a helmetless Dredd.

And if that's not enough, poor 2000AD gets outnerded for not sticking to the source material:

"2000 AD's bizarre fin-handed Compsognathus"
http://svpow.com/2012/10/02/2000ads-bizarre-fin-handed-compsognathus/

TordelBack

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 05 November, 2013, 12:19:31 AM
And if that's not enough, poor 2000AD gets outnerded for not sticking to the source material:

I read that differently - 2000AD was sticking close to the source material, but the source material became outdated almost immediately.

Thanks for a new blog to follow, Surfer!  That one is pure displacement gold.

And this thread is bearing wonderful fruit, well done all.

ming

Those Ro-Busters robots are a joy to behold...

On similar lines:
Gargantua by Chris Foss; used as the cover to The Bicentennial Man, (Panther, 1978).  Is it just me or does this bear more than a passing resemblance to Dave Gibbons and Pat Mills' perennial fan-favourite, Charlie, Hero of Northpool (first appeared in February 1979)?  Note the presence of the ships being towed by Charlie's Gargantua's lower arms...  Might be pure coincidence, of course!

Chris Foss

Dave Gibbons

Dash Decent

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 05 November, 2013, 12:19:31 AM
What's interesting about this one is how very flagrant a rip-off it is of Rudolph Zallinger's 1960 painting of Brontosaurus being attacked by Allosaurus

They say very flagrant a rip-off, Tharg says 'homage'.

Speaking of homages, I'm sure we've had a few variations on the 'people in the late night diner with the curved front' painting show up in the prog and meg.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.