Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 23 April, 2014, 10:31:09 PM

And while we're on the subject, those guys that lurk in thye toilets of clubs - and sometimes even bars and pubs - and guilt you into paying them for the privilege of using the toilet/dispersal of unwanted aftershave and lollies(?!?!?) are the absolute fucking worst.

The venue we hired for our leaving party saw fit to put one in the toilets there. At a private party! What is this bullshit? Do bar owners deliberately set out to make their paying customers feel uncomfortable or what?

In my experience, those people are rarely actual employees of the bar. They just show up and are tolerated, because you would not believe the state in which punters will unashamedly leave a pub toilet. Having those guys around removes the punter's desire to stage a spontaneous dirty protest
You may quote me on that.

Recrewt

Quote from: radiator on 23 April, 2014, 10:31:09 PM
And while we're on the subject, those guys that lurk in thye toilets of clubs - and sometimes even bars and pubs - and guilt you into paying them for the privilege of using the toilet/dispersal of unwanted aftershave and lollies(?!?!?) are the absolute fucking worst.

Bog Trolls  :(

The Doctor Alt 8

Anemic toast.

That really annoys me. When you are served breakfast at a hotel / guest house and you are served toast that is little more than sundried bread. Just how mean / lazy / incompetent / inconsiderate do you have to be not to spend a couple of minutes browning the bread that you are serving as toast?

Quote from: radiator on 23 April, 2014, 08:31:04 PM
...barmen generally don't get any tips because they're not waiting on you personally and it's a less demanding job than the above.

If you don't want to tip barmen that's fine*, but don't try and tell me that dealing with drunken arseholes and cleaning up after them isn't a demanding job.

*and if the bar is busy, expect a long wait for your drinks. TIPS: To Insure Prompt Service

radiator

Quote from: Mister Pops on 24 April, 2014, 03:03:52 PM
...barmen generally don't get any tips because they're not waiting on you personally and it's a less demanding job than the above.

If you don't want to tip barmen that's fine*, but don't try and tell me that dealing with drunken arseholes and cleaning up after them isn't a demanding job.

*and if the bar is busy, expect a long wait for your drinks. TIPS: To Insure Prompt Service

Fair point, being a barman - which I've done - is no piece of cake, but most of the time (pretty much any time that isn't Friday or Saturday night) it's pretty much stress-free, even kind of fun. I always found waiting (waitering?) far more demanding, and it's a job I've never lasted long at.

I was also talking in broad terms - in the UK, you might buy the barman the odd drink, but it's entirely discretionary. Over here, if you don't tip at least a dollar a drink you're some kind of freak.

Skullmo

Quote from: radiator on 24 April, 2014, 04:22:16 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 24 April, 2014, 03:03:52 PM

Fair point, being a barman - which I've done - is no piece of cake, but most of the time (pretty much any time that isn't Friday or Saturday night) it's pretty much stress-free, even kind of fun. I always found waiting (waitering?) far more demanding, and it's a job I've never lasted long at.

I was also talking in broad terms - in the UK, you might buy the barman the odd drink, but it's entirely discretionary. Over here, if you don't tip at least a dollar a drink you're some kind of freak.

Yeah that annoyed me when i was in the states - the saving grace was that the whiskeys in America are huge!
It's a joke. I was joking.

I once read an article that went state by state, pointing out how many hours you'd have to work on minimum wage, without tips, to make rent for the most basic accommodation in that state. The lowest was one of those mostly rectangular states, where you'd have to work at least 60 hours for the privilege of living in a hovel. The highest was New York state, where you would have to work at least 200 hours to live in a shitehole. No doubt the teapartiers would accuse you of being a lazy freeloader for not working 32 hours more than physically exist in a week. This is exacerbated by state governors blocking motions to raise minimum wages.

Overall, it's pretty shitty that American employers expect their customers to pay (or at least subsidise) their employees wage packets.

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: Mister Pops on 24 April, 2014, 10:15:40 PM
I once read an article that went state by state, pointing out how many hours you'd have to work on minimum wage, without tips, to make rent for the most basic accommodation in that state. The lowest was one of those mostly rectangular states, where you'd have to work at least 60 hours for the privilege of living in a hovel. The highest was New York state, where you would have to work at least 200 hours to live in a shitehole. No doubt the teapartiers would accuse you of being a lazy freeloader for not working 32 hours more than physically exist in a week. This is exacerbated by state governors blocking motions to raise minimum wages.

Overall, it's pretty shitty that American employers expect their customers to pay (or at least subsidise) their employees wage packets.
[/quote ]

My opinion on this is... If you genuinely cannot afford to pay an employee a decent wage... You should not be an employer.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 25 April, 2014, 05:00:38 AM
My opinion on this is... If you genuinely cannot afford to pay an employee a decent wage... You should not be an employer.

S'right. 

Worth noting (again) that by way of massaging unemployment figures it is government policy here in Oirland to push 'internships' and 'JobBridge' and BTW schemes which are essentially unpaid jobs, irrespective of the qualifications of the employee and the value of the experience/likelihood of further work - to the point where it is very difficult to get even minimum wage professional work, or more significantly to compete for contracts, because many posts are held by experienced graduates costing their employers a few quid a week. By way of example. I was sub-contracting a job at minimum wage (in itself a joke) for a while earlier this year, but when my tendered period was up I discovered that my replacement in the role was an BTW-scheme employee of the contractor, fully qualified, 8 years experience, and was costing his employer 20 euro a day (against a daily charge-out of well over 100 euro).  He'll do the job perfectly well, and it's all above board, but pretty difficult for anyone to compete with that kind of outlay/profit margin. 

The real only option for competition would be to take someone on on the same basis, charge them out even lower, and skim the ever-diminishing difference, pushing competitive rates down across the board and accentuating the problem.

Pay people a living wage and all that goes away.

Moggot Lover

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 24 April, 2014, 01:10:39 PM
Anemic toast.

That really annoys me. When you are served breakfast at a hotel / guest house and you are served toast that is little more than sundried bread. Just how mean / lazy / incompetent / inconsiderate do you have to be not to spend a couple of minutes browning the bread that you are serving as toast?

This!
Its called toast, not luke warm bread.
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks!

Oh and another thing the tone of the current - Cancer Research UK‎ adverts.

Sorry but Cancer is a disease caused by a malfunction of cells, causing them to constantly divide (Put very very simplistically) It is obvious that it has many causes .. some genetic, some environmental etc...

It is not a sentient being. It does not have thoughts and feelings.....

having a campaign that basically insults a thing as if expecting it to react is just... mindbogglingly stupid.

Are they expecting cancer to have a meeting and say "Well if that'd what you think of us... we'll clear off then!"

Now i am sure that the advertising dudes who came up with this particular strategy must of thought they were being cleaver... and I am not saying that raising money for research into cancer isn't a worthwhile cause... of course it is.

I've had a minor cancer scare.... that turned out negative.
I am lucky to come from a family that hasn't a predisposition to this illness...

But this isn't the way to do it.

Banners

The NHS' consistent utter disregard for punctuality.

JamesC

Little dry crusty bits falling from the rim of the milk carton into your tea.

mogzilla

Quote from: Banners on 26 April, 2014, 10:14:28 AM
The NHS' consistent utter disregard for punctuality.

this...and I work for 'em
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 25 April, 2014, 05:00:38 AM

May I please add:

QuoteIf you do not want to pay an employee a decent wage... You should not be an employer.