Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Could be wrong, but I think the story has been recounted many times in the Marvel books, probably as recently as the estimable Kieron Gillen's run.  But equally, I doubt it has much to do with the current ploy.

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 15 July, 2014, 11:09:18 PM
People who use the flash on their cameras/phones when taking photos at sporting events/concerts.

I went down to Devon to catch the total eclipse in 1999and one of the most spectacular sights (after the cosmic awesomeness of watching the sun go out) was thousands upon thousands of flash bulbs filckering from the hillsides across the other side of Torbay.

Pretty as the effect was, these people were trying to take pictures of the SUN and the MOON causing DARKNESS. With a flash. Makes concert flash-photos seem almost sensible.

I've got dozens of old gig photos fro the 80s and 90s and they're all identical - coloured stage lights with unrecognisable blobs somewhere amongst them. I can sometimes guess the gig from the backdrop.

Steve Green

The Canon photograpers at events with their enormous white telephoto lenses are wasting their time, when you can get similar results with a phone.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 July, 2014, 01:00:13 PM
Could be wrong, but I think the story has been recounted many times in the Marvel books, probably as recently as the estimable Kieron Gillen's run.  But equally, I doubt it has much to do with the current ploy.

It's been done several times, and I've seen the Twitpics to prove it in the last hour alone.  Even Loki had a go at being a lady a couple of years back.  Personally, I blame the success of Fiona and Cake for making the gender-swap thing a trending writing trope right now - and when IDW's Star Trek comics are doing an idea, you can pretty much go ahead and call it as nothing new.

Trout

I often rant at Spider-man cartoons about what a terrible photographer he is. He often uses flash from too far away.

My children ignore me.

TordelBack

Quote from: Trout on 16 July, 2014, 04:54:43 PM
I often rant at Spider-man cartoons about what a terrible photographer he is.

In fairness a frequent plot-point.  It's Peter's 'amazing' ability to be in the right place at the right time that gets him the sales, not his skill with tone and composition, nor even his reliability at taking the lens cap off or putting the film in!

Anyway, you charming curmudgeons must realise that the default setting of most snap cameras has always been to use flash, and how many people ever fiddle with the settings?

Trout

Also, if one freelancer was getting amazing shots of the same celebrity over and over, there's no way an editor would keep accepting them, no questions asked. Sooner or later, somebody's going to demand an explanation, even in a fucked-up newsroom like the Daily Bugle. Hey, Peter's kind of skinny, just like... Nah.

Yes, the Clark Kent glasses thing is ridiculous too.

JamesC

Quote from: Trout on 16 July, 2014, 05:51:36 PM
Also, if one freelancer was getting amazing shots of the same celebrity over and over, there's no way an editor would keep accepting them, no questions asked. Sooner or later, somebody's going to demand an explanation, even in a fucked-up newsroom like the Daily Bugle. Hey, Peter's kind of skinny, just like... Nah.

Yes, the Clark Kent glasses thing is ridiculous too.

It worked a little better in the early days. When nerdy, clumsy Peter Parker was getting called a milk-sop and having his aunt send care packages to the newsroom no one would believe he could be the Amazing Spider-Man that Flash Thompson idolised Doc Ock got a pasting from.
Once Peter got rid of the glasses and married a super model it was perhaps more likely that he might have the leotard under his Farrahs.

Professor Bear

A mate said he always assumed that since Jonah Jameson looked like Hitler and owned a tabloid, everyone in Marvel NYC just assumed Spider-Man was black and this was why JJJ had it in for him and why no-one ever pegged honky Parker as being the man under the mask.  I have to admit that logic holds about as much water as anything in the actual comics.

Quote from: Trout on 16 July, 2014, 05:51:36 PMYes, the Clark Kent glasses thing is ridiculous too.

That was the one thing Man Of Steel got right: everyone can see as clear as day that Clark Kent is just Superman in a pair of glasses, they just don't mention it because Superman is fucking terrifying.

JamesC

Another reason Captain Marvel is better than Superman.
Captain Marvel FTW!

Professor Bear

New 52 Captain Marvel/Shazam is a massive arsehole.  I decided to stop reading when he killed a homeless person in his first appearance.

JamesC

Quote from: Professor Theopolis K Bear on 16 July, 2014, 07:25:58 PM
New 52 Captain Marvel/Shazam is a massive arsehole.  I decided to stop reading when he killed a homeless person in his first appearance.

Sigh. That's just crap. You can't have anything nice can you? Someone has to come along and spoil it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 16 July, 2014, 07:43:22 PM
Sigh. That's just crap. You can't have anything nice can you? Someone has to come along and spoil it.

Angsty Grimdark. ™ and © Tordel B. Ack, Esq. All rights reserved.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 July, 2014, 07:47:02 PM

Angsty Grimdark. ™ and © Tordel B. Ack, Esq. All rights reserved.
Magnificent.

Frank

ARCHIE DIES AT HANDS OF
HOMOPHOBIC GUNMAN

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/16/how-archie-dies-teenage-comic-stars-heroic-fate-revealed