Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 23 September, 2014, 10:13:01 PM
It's an obvious one, but wanky management-speak.

My workplace is currently infested with it, and I'm tempted to call it out - start taking the piss a bit basically - in order to curtail it. The worst examples for me are when people use silly management jargon when we already have a perfectly valid word/term for what they are saying.

"How are you tracking? Are you tracking for end of play?"

When "How are you getting on? Will you be finished by the end of the day?" would be, if anything, clearer.

"Do you have bandwith to do X?"

How about "Do you have time to do X?" instead, you insufferable cretin?

Makes me want to smash things!  >:(

Ha ha. If someone asked me how I was tracking I wouldn't even know what they were talking about (at least i wouldn't have before I read this post).

Fungus

Those are new ones on me :)  Management-speak is pretty low-hanging fruit on the tree of annoyances.
Current ones that annoy me far more than they should:

"There is a disconnect"

"Going forward"

Aaaarrrgh, etc.

Daveycandlish

If management use "Going forward" or "Thinking out of the box" or "ball park figures", I just switch off and ignore them. Life's too short to waste on arseholes.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

radiator

"Reach out" is another one. "I'll reach out to the client" etc. I've even heard it used outside of a work context - maybe it's an American thing?

But what is wrong with the word 'contact'?!?!

Banners

Quote from: Daveycandlish
..."ball park figures"...

That's just common parlance, surely?

radiator

I wouldn't really flinch at 'thinking outside the box' either. Maybe it would grind my gears a bit if used excessively, or in the wrong context.

JamesC

But that's what happens, these phrases infect the language. In a few years we'll all be reaching out to each other to find out how we're tracking!

You should make your own up and see if they catch on. If you don't like someone's idea tell them you're going to put it in the fridge or something.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 24 September, 2014, 04:43:43 PM
"Reach out" is another one. "I'll reach out to the client" etc. I've even heard it used outside of a work context - maybe it's an American thing?

It's always used correctly in The Sopranos.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Fungus on 24 September, 2014, 11:51:14 AM
Those are new ones on me :)  Management-speak is pretty low-hanging fruit on the tree of annoyances.
Current ones that annoy me far more than they should:

"Going forward"

Aaaarrrgh, etc.

"Going Foward" really drives me up the wall when work-superiors say it as I particularly associate that phrase with a disastrous Taoiseach - Brian Cowen

TordelBack

Where I'm working we could use a little more management speak.  Or indeed management.  Or even speak.  Pay has been screwy for loads of folks (not me, being a subby), and the grudging response so far has been: 'wouldn't know about that, we use an external company for payroll'.  Yes, and I use a number of 'external companies' to get me to work (Ford, Statoil, the National Roads Authority), but I doubt I'd get far blaming them for being late. Manage it, manager.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 24 September, 2014, 04:43:43 PM

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparklemotion.

SuperSurfer

Winds me up when people say "I'm good!" in response to "how are you?" It's usually said with emphasis. Shit, someone might think I'm just "okay".

Also in cafes, restaurants etc "Can I get a ..." But you aren't getting it you are being given it. When did "can I have?" go out of fashion?

TordelBack

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 25 September, 2014, 12:51:01 AM
Winds me up when people say "I'm good!" in response to "how are you?" It's usually said with emphasis. Shit, someone might think I'm just "okay".

Where do you stand on 'grand'?

Proudhuff

Winds me up when people say "I'm good!" in response to "how are you?" It's usually said with emphasis.

best response to that is:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
DDT did a job on me

Fungus

Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 September, 2014, 09:25:04 AM
Winds me up when people say "I'm good!" in response to "how are you?" It's usually said with emphasis.

best response to that is:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

S'right.