Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Quote from: richerthanyou on 26 February, 2016, 08:02:17 PM
People who live in big cities. Why are they all so unfriendly? I get that you can't say morning to everyone you walk past or you would be there to sundown, but they all look so miserable!

I can't wait to get out of here.

Move yourself down to Yokelsville (Devon), we're a right bunch of jolly Fuckers!

Regarding "Big Cities", if I had to navigate The abominable road system of somewhere like London on a daily basis I'd probably get the arse* myself. Having said that i'm pretty sure someone who's used to things getting done fast wouldn't get much joy down 'ere because the majority of us couldn't care less, and maintain "it's done when it's done" mentality.

Cheers

*to be profoundly upset
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dandontdare

For me it either has to be right in  the heart of the city or total countryside - busy and vibrant or totally peaceful and isolated, can't stand the in-between options of small-medium sized towns.

I, Cosh

People who live in big cities. Why are they all so unfriendly? I get that you can't say morning to everyone you walk past or you would be there to sundown, but they all look so miserable!

I can't wait to get out of here.
I'm completely the opposite. Grew up in a tiny village of the sort where everyone knows everybody and wants to have their nose in your business. More recently, lived in the same flat in Glasgow for around eight years without ever knowing any of my neighbours' names or having the slightest inclination to find out: bliss!

Couldn't imagine ever wanting to move away from a big city now. Natural beauty is no substitute for general anonymity and being able to find people who share your interests as and when you want to.

Edited to agree with Dan: small towns are the worst of all possible worlds.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 February, 2016, 11:49:48 AMNatural beauty is no substitute for general anonymity and being able to find people who share your interests as and when you want to.

Edited to agree with Dan: small towns are the worst of all possible worlds.

Couldn't agree less.  I love the peace, quiet, nature and sociability of small towns.  I live in a small town not too far from the city because I mostly work there and occasional cool stuff happens there, but as for noise, pollution, crowds and traffic 24/7 - no thanks.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mattofthespurs

Small towns are actually, in my case, the best of all possible solutions.
It's a town, with the amenities of a town (cinema, pubs, shops etc...), but literally a 5 minute walk away from being in the middle of the countryside.
And the Flying Scotsman went through my town of St Neots, so there  :P

Jim_Campbell

Yup. I live in a small (Pop ~9000) English market town, and it's a lovely place. I have access to a couple of small supermarkets, plus local traders, plus a weekly market, a monthly farmers' market, plus four pubs within five minutes' walk of my house, PLUS actual proper countryside no more than 15min up the road.

I've had a sparrow-hawk in my garden TWICE in the four years since we moved here. Until you've experienced proximity to a creature evolution has told: "No, that's it... you're pretty much spot on" it's hard to articulate what being that close to nature to nature really feels like.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Eric Plumrose

People who live in big cities. Why are they all so unfriendly?

Big cities are more populated. That higher concentration of people means of course you'll encounter more 'unfriendly' types.

I've been living in North London for the best part of seventeen years now and the people here are no less friendly than any small town I've lived in. Especially those in the small-minded small town where I grew up. If anything, living here has made me realize just how much I fucking HATE the kinds of people where I grew up, where being 'different' in any kind of way meant being singled out more easily.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 February, 2016, 08:18:04 PM
I've had a sparrow-hawk in my garden TWICE in the four years since we moved here. Until you've experienced proximity to a creature evolution has told: "No, that's it... you're pretty much spot on" it's hard to articulate what being that close to nature to nature really feels like.

Last month, the Souster Woman heard an incessant chirping from our back garden. Only when it stopped did she look out to see a sparrowhawk sitting on our back fence. Fan!tastic! (though not for the sparrows making the noise).

I've had a coupla close encounters with foxes. One came into our bedroom one night (our previous residence, a ground-floor flat with French windows, open) which then fled when I woke up realizing it was there.

The other time was years before when I kipped on a park bench after walking eight miles home from a club. Something sniffing my hand woke me then shot off when I sat up. I looked down the path to see a fox staring back at me.

Old Tankie

We have a Red Kite hovering over our garden almost every day, majestic, and we live four miles from Peterborough city centre.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 February, 2016, 08:44:54 PM
People who live in big cities. Why are they all so unfriendly?

where being 'different' in any kind of way meant being singled out more easily.

There is that.  Fortunately I have far fewer fucks to give these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Fungus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 February, 2016, 11:07:12 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 26 February, 2016, 10:48:33 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM
Anyway, y'know what really grinds my gears?

F-ckin movie adverts that name the release date numerically.

Example; "The Raid 2. In cinemas April 10".
When's April 10? Anytime near April 10th?

I will now step up the irrational anger and derision from the very origin of this thread to DEFCON 1.

Saw an advert on telly last night for a new film (The Forest).
When is it cinemas you ask?

Why "Feb 26" of course. Yes FEB.

and we can add adverts that list prices as single numbers : "This can be yours for just four five nine nine"

We did, a couple of years ago.

'Feb' is fine, and in many instances nicely succinct. Maybe that's my programming background.
But what is ludicrous is taking the conventions into your own half-witted hands. ScotRail tickets will state DBR (or similar) when you're in the twelfth month. Why do that?

sheridan

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 February, 2016, 08:44:54 PMI've been living in North London for the best part of seventeen years now and the people here are no less friendly than any small town I've lived in. Especially those in the small-minded small town where I grew up. If anything, living here has made me realize just how much I fucking HATE the kinds of people where I grew up, where being 'different' in any kind of way meant being singled out more easily.
Same here (mostly living in North London for over ten years with a background of small-town England where you can rely on getting physically assaulted for not being 'like them').

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 February, 2016, 09:24:48 PMI've had a coupla close encounters with foxes. One came into our bedroom one night (our previous residence, a ground-floor flat with French windows, open) which then fled when I woke up realizing it was there.
We got a fox come in last year - it got cornered by the cat who wanted it out of the flat, but couldn't quite process that standing in front of the french windows stops the fox getting out, which it dearly wanted to do by that point!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 February, 2016, 11:52:49 PM
There is that.  Fortunately I have far fewer fucks to give these days.

All part of growing up, Jayzus, though sadly no comfort whatsoever to five year-old Eric having to put up with yet another beating courtesy of BLUE PETER and some petty-minded neighbours.

But with respect to richerthanthou (and no disrespect intended) the notion big cities are less friendly just, y'know. Grinds my gears!

Old Tankie

The great thing about London is you can be who ever you want, no one gives a toss.

TordelBack

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 February, 2016, 09:24:48 PM
...the Souster Woman...

This cracks me up every single time. I can actually see Vek  at the breakfast table when I read it.