Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 September, 2016, 11:37:24 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 September, 2016, 11:32:40 AM
Northernerist! ;-)

Anything to the right side of the Pennines is a-okay with me though ;)
Seemingly not content with destroying 2000AD from the inside, now Molch-R is determined to start another civil war!

Theblazeuk

Still smarting over the defeat of Richard III eh Molch. Not that you're wrong mind, I'm heading back to Dale in a couple of weeks and plan on leaving immediately for Hebden Bridge.

Molch-R

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 September, 2016, 04:18:43 PM
Seemingly not content with destroying 2000AD from the inside, now Molch-R is determined to start another civil war!

First mission seems to be going *really* well...

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 01 September, 2016, 04:46:09 PM
Still smarting over the defeat of Richard III eh Molch. Not that you're wrong mind, I'm heading back to Dale in a couple of weeks and plan on leaving immediately for Hebden Bridge.

Don't get me started ;) I lived in Littleborough for two years and escaped to Todmorden at every opportunity. And if there's a more depressing state of affairs than that I don't want to know...

dweezil2

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 September, 2016, 11:23:46 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 01 September, 2016, 10:10:00 AM
Yeah - even the one in Rochdale is s'ok, though it's the main boozer in town it's relatively good compared to anything in centre but the Baum.

The one in Heywood is quite lovely.

Both scuppered by the fact one is in Rochdale and the other is in Heywood, rendering them utterly and irretrievably beyond the pale.

;)

Beyond the pale ale?  :o

I'll get my coat!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Proudhuff

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 September, 2016, 11:37:24 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 September, 2016, 11:32:40 AM
Northernerist! ;-)

Anything to the right side of the Pennines is a-okay with me though ;)

when you say 'right side' is that looking from here or there?
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Accelerated videos of someone making food. Normally a stew, tray bake or similar one-pot meal.
We never really die.

DaveGYNWA

Project Managers. To be more specific, project managers from another company who can't get any of their own people to do the work required so have outsourced it to the firm I work for. And I'm the person doing the work.

Why is it grinding my gears? The job is a 4-day onsite in the middle of nowhere in Dorset, and the project manager has decided that he's going to also attend for the 4 days, and will also be staying at the same B&B as myself locally. Still not convinced? Well, just before 5:30 project manager sent 4 meeting invitations....1st one, all good. 10am discussion meeting tomorrow morning. The other 4? 8pm each evening apart from Friday, me and him plus others via phone. He's now wondering why I've declined them all.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

The Legendary Shark

All you need is a hooker and a phone cam...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 31 October, 2016, 06:11:50 PM
Project Managers. To be more specific, project managers from another company who can't get any of their own people to do the work required

... The other 4? 8pm each evening apart from Friday, me and him plus others via phone. He's now wondering why I've declined them all.

Sounds like there might be something behind him not being able to get anyone in house to do it.  To whit, he's a complete muppet!

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 31 October, 2016, 07:06:06 PM
Sounds like there might be something behind him not being able to get anyone in house to do it.  To whit, he's a complete muppet!

Well, the project manager at the customer thinks he's a complete muppet too. Week went well (for me) as several items I told them would be problematic did indeed prove problematic (ie they had a theory about something, I asked if they had tested the theory and they umm'ed and aah'ed so I went ahead and tested it to determine it didn't work.....and then they admitted that they hadn't had much success with it either) Job was estimated out by the project team to be nearly 2 weeks on-site originally, with 2 days for me to documentation....I got it done in 4 days (as I told them it would be) with the 2 days docs still to do (would have been quicker if the end-customer hadn't borked one of my servers on the first day)

The one really funny thing that came out of it was that PM bloke (who turned up an hour or so late on day one, so missed the 10am meeting) wasn't the only one from his company who was there....they had someone shadowing my work for 2 days, taking loads of notes and asking loads of questions, and he told me that the plan was for him to be the one to go in and do what I was doing. I 'accidentally' introduced a few wrong steps for him to follow and then corrected them after he left.

Ah well, won't be my problem in 2 weeks time as I'm leaving them on the 18th.

Tjm86

Why couldn't they have been more open and up front and simply asked you to train the guy up?  Acknowledge the gap in their knowledge  and be honest?  Sounds like a cracking company to work for, or rather a company to get away from as fast as humanly possible before finding out that you are screwed as they've just gone under!

DaveGYNWA

If they'd been up front then they would have had to pay for me to do the training up (my boss would have most likely charged them for the privilege) - this guy isn't from the company I work for, he's from the company that have the knowledge gap (what is funny is that they used to offer the service we provide, then they dropped their team....and are now appearing to put it back together)

Company I'm with is perfectly fine to work for (only reason I'm leaving is because after 18 months of working from home, I'm itching to get back in to an office environment)....it's the companies that outsource to us that are the pains in the arse (the PM and Shadowman being those pains this time around) - they go in to customer X, tell them they can deliver this and that and then come to us (the actual experts) and tell us this and that, and we point out that they've overplayed their hand and then they have to mop up the mess. And then they blame us for the customer kicking off at them.

As much as I love being the person who goes in and does the work, I do feel really sorry for the 'customer X' lot as they've had to deal with the PMs talking some amount of shite.

Theblazeuk

Ah, outsourcing. Least it's keeping you in scratch Dave :)

radiator

So, genuinely curious; is there a specific reason why Apple make it so maddeningly difficult to import images from a desktop onto an iPhone? I quite often need to do this as I like to review and upload artwork and photos from my grown up camera, and with the latest iOS 'upgrade' they have now (seemingly spitefully) killed the ability to download and save image attachments from an email, which up until now has been the most convenient and hassle free workaround.

Yes, I'm aware it can be done with dropbox and iTunes and the Photos app, but both ways are far more difficult and convoluted than need be (requiring you to sync photos albums and all that palaver).. It's truly baffling. Is it a privacy thing?