Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 July, 2018, 09:37:45 PM
...now Carrie Fisher has left us, who else are they going to put onscreen to appease the old-school Star Wars fans they apparently hate so much?

Since it's all the rage these days at sister silo Marvel: a scene or scenes with de-aged Han and Luke (and maybe Lando) in the years between ROTJ and TFA.

As flashbacks are baked into this set of films from the start, I'm surprised we didn't all ready get it in either Episode VII or VIII just to give the old fans what they missed in the 30 year void. A Pavlovian blowjob like that would bring the abstainers back for IX.

SIP

Well, I am one of those abstainers....bring on the pavlovian bj....... .this will be the first star wars film ever released that I do not intend to see at the cinema. Oddly, I am excited (maybe "curious" would be more accurate) to see the eventual trailer, as I am really wondering how they intend to entice the disillusioned back in.

Truthfully, i think that only some hint of addressing the direction that they took Luke in would cut it. I know some enjoyed that choice, but the reality is that it was that choice of character "development" that really kicked up all of the divisions in the fan base.......and still they rage on!

It'll be a really interesting trailer. I think there is a lot riding on it for Disney, what with theme park openings, conventions and TV shows in the works......

JamesC

I bet you go see it at the cinema!

Professor Bear

Well DUH - if he doesn't go and see it at the cinema, how will he know he was right to not go see it at the cinema?

SIP

I would love to believe that Disney has done a detailed and comprehensive review of the last 6 months of happenings in the greater Star wars community, that they have been able to navigate through the horrible quagmire of the ranting and offensive vocal minority and pick up on some of the concerns of the fans.

I live in hope (just like Luke Skywalker used to) that the trailer will promise something interesting and exciting, as it's increasingly difficult for me to care after that last film. I've caught star wars apathy.

But.....I enjoyed Solo a lot. So......

Professor Bear

I don't think they'll change their strategy much, as a wave of hostility that creates sympathy for their product is an oddly happy accident for one of the world's most branding and marketing-savvy corporate entities.  Disney engineered the visibility of most of that fanboy ranting as it was part of their marketing strategy from the off - there's even an interview with Rian Johnson back in the day saying he was making a Star Wars film that was deliberately polorising.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 July, 2018, 12:47:59 PM
Disney engineered the visibility of most of that fanboy ranting as it was part of their marketing strategy from the off - there's even an interview with Rian Johnson back in the day saying he was making a Star Wars film that was deliberately polorising.

Isn't that clip from way back in the day, at the time of Brick (2005), before Disney assimilated him into destroying their franchise. Although he has disputed this was the case for The Last Jedi.

It's something which is of course grist to the mill for some who consider The Last Jedi too 'radical' and naturally conflate one with the other.

Professor Bear

The clip I'm thinking of was more recent than that, and was part of the Last Jedi promotional material specifically - though he words it very similarly.

JOE SOAP

'Star Wars: Episode IX' Announces Cast; Carrie Fisher to Be Featured

Billy Dee Williams is reprising his role as Lando Calrissian, and Carrie Fisher will be featured in the final installment in the trilogy using previously unreleased footage shot for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

Professor Bear

Jesus.  I was on the fence before, but now that's a hard pass.

Frank

SIP

Well at least it offucually confirmed Hamill on the cast list.

TordelBack

Including Leia at all is a bad idea. I understand that the intention of her being a big part of IX was always there,  but tragedy intervened. Carrie delivered a fantastic couple of scenes at the end of TLJ,   I watch them over and over, moving and uplifting: leave it at that.  Unless it's a holo recording of some inspirational speech,  Leia dies off screen between movies,  move on.

Steve Green

Yeah, I'm not sure about that at all.

Magnetica

The press release says her bits will use unseen footage that was shot for the Force Awakens. I am intrigued to see how they will make that fit the narrative.