Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

When you look at all the money currenty flowing through PKD adaptations, it's sobering to remember that in his 30s he was reduced to eating catfood, and died in his 50s just before Blade Runner made it to the screen.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 September, 2017, 05:51:58 AM
When you look at all the money currenty flowing through PKD adaptations, it's sobering to remember that in his 30s he was reduced to eating catfood...

They do say PKD is an acquired taste.

"When I see these stories of mine, written over three decades, I think of the Lucky Dog Pet Store. There's a good reason for that. It has to do with an aspect of not just my life, but the lives of many freelance writers. It's called poverty[........]So anyhow, there I am at the Lucky Dog Pet Store on San Pablo Avenue, In Berkley, California, in the Fifties, buying a pound of ground horsemeat." - Philip K. Dick in the introduction to the Golden Man, 1980

IAMTHESYSTEM

He saw the paranoid future of conspiracy within a conspiracy, and the scary truth is that's not too distant from the world we live in today. Great art makes you question things, and PKD suspected even reality itself. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Frank

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 06 September, 2017, 08:19:37 AM
When does Electric Dreams start?

This Sunday (17 Sept), Channel 4.

Greg Staples is currently playing the dreamy rapist in Liar (ITV, 9pm)*. This only a few weeks after noughties Frank Quitely bit Peggy Olsen's nose off in China Girl (BBC2).

Liar's an interesting idea - applying the murder mystery form to date rape - but China Girl was just silly. ITV ran Liar as a spoiler for Rellik, the BBC's new drama from the same writers.**

Rellik (Killer, backwards) is a bog standard Scandi-noir with the gimmick that the murder mystery unfolds backwards in time. Nobody's sat down on the toilet and had a jobbie fired up into their arsehole yet, so they're not interested in exploring the idea's full potential.

It's dark and gritty, but it's on telly at 9pm, so they've been told they can only have one swear per episode. They used up their quota right at the start, so everybody else had to swallow their consonants for the rest of the episode.

Richard Dormer saying FUPPIN' in his Irish accent made it feel like the episode of Father Ted where they go to the beach with the no swearing sign. But with acid murders.

* It's actually Ioan Gruffudd

** They wrote Jimmy Nesbitt Madeline McCann drama The Missing

Frank

Rellik (BBC1, 9pm, 18/09/17). Can't take the child abuse monologue of the burns victim seriously now I've realised she's the actress from the We Buy Any Car advert.*

Also, supernaturally beautiful young women sure do love sex with much older, messed up policemen.

* That's right! They just let me say I could have got a better price if I sold my car privately!

Jim_Campbell

The Strain: Season 4

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 September, 2017, 10:42:22 PM
It's been a patchy old ride, but I've enjoyed this more than I haven't. On balance, I'm strangely pleased to see it wrap up before it outstays its welcome, but I'll be sorry to see it go.

Sorry to say, they absolutely fucked the final episode. Terrible, terrible conclusion to a generally pretty decent series.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

I was happy to see a positive portrayal of suicide bombers on the streets of New York in the final episode, as that's something you don't see much of these days.  I'm also glad the whole sub plot about the magic book wasn't a waste of time.

auxlen

QuoteWhen you look at all the money currenty flowing through PKD adaptations, it's sobering to remember that in his 30s he was reduced to eating catfood, and died in his 50s just before Blade Runner made it to the screen.

I've been writing for years and this hits home. No-one reads my stuff. And my favourite author Richard Yates who wrote such beautiful prose was out of print when he died! criminal.

Link Prime

Curb Your Enthusiasm was back on Sky Atlantic last night, and it was pretty good.
Prettaaay, prettaaay good.

BPP

Excellent comic book TEOTFW (Chuck Forsman) gets a terrible E4 re-write where the diffident emotionally stunted central character suddenly becomes a teenage psychopath motivated by thoughts of killing his love interest.... Jesus Christ.

I lasted till the first ad break and realised this was killing a comic book I truly love.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

GrudgeJohnDeed

Anyone see the Robot Wars final on Sunday? It was pretty great, loads of good barneys, tolchock city. The lad that won it really deserved it bless him, after a few series of trying he made a bot that Carbide couldn't chew up! I wonder how he reinforced the front better this time

BPP

Am sure all the NI board members had a teary moment at the end of Derry Girls tonight. Beautiful stuff juxtaposing the joy of teenage friendship against a devasting moment in Ulster's history.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Frank

Anyone watching Bodyguard (BBC1, 9pm)? It's by Line Of Duty's Jed Mercurio; he's swapped that series' showpiece 10 minutes of tense, cat & mouse interrogation scenes per show for equally tense action scenes.

Episode 2's sniper fire/high-speed reverse parking scene would have made the cut in a Mission Impossible film, or at least one of the better ones where Liam Neeson and Jason Statham have to murder everyone beneath third billing on the cast list*

If this was on Netflix, everyone would be raving about it

* Which in this show would mean most of the Today programme's presenter team getting garroted. If this show actually showed John Humphrys being garotted, the ratings would be through the roof.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Frank on 27 August, 2018, 10:56:06 PM
It's by Line Of Duty's Jed Mercurio

Unarguably the gothest man working for the BBC right now. Two Sisters of Mercy tracks in his Desert Island Discs selection. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.