Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: von Boom on 20 October, 2018, 06:28:25 PM
Magnum?

Higgins is now a sexy yoga lady*, which is political correctness gone mad:

https://youtu.be/ADAeeJclFIU

* What more can SJWs take from us? Higgins was a role model for rotund, effete schoolboys with pencil moustaches everywhere. Who will pretend-English boys look to when constructing their identity, now?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

I must have watched Magnum a hundred times as a kid, without ever paying attention to or giving a shit about what was happening. I remember nothing except the bit where he checks out the girl's arse in the opening credits.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

So true. I couldn't tell you the plot of a single episode - Magnum, moustache, Hawaiian shirt, helicopter landing and taking off, girls, Higgins and some kind of ghastly McMansion with a tennis court and pool. From the title I presume Magnum was a private detective?  That's genuinely all I retain - and I must have watched hours and hours of it.  And the shit I give Dr Who!

Funt Solo

Helicopters of the 80s:

And that one in Rambo 2:
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

The best thing about Magnum is they had a crossover episode with Murder She Wrote.

Dandontdare

Why do they keep remaking things?

WRITE SOME NEW SHOWS!!!

Smith

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 October, 2018, 09:13:23 AM
Why do they keep remaking things?

WRITE SOME NEW SHOWS!!!
My point exactly.
But they need to make money and in theory,its safer to play on an already built-in audience.Its also funny that whenever they reboot something,fans of the original HATE it.

Proudhuff

Why can't anythread stay on topic here?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Amazing watching folk on Twitter Samhainsplaining to the various academics who have kindly produced long threads setting out the specific Irish origins of Halloween and its traditions. "Well,  actually... ".

Genuine historians being told repeatedly that there's "no evidence so who can say" despite their repeatedly citing the huge manuscript collections that contain exactly that, and spodes banging on that everything is "Celtic" and "Druidic" so it really comes from Britain too. Well,  no, that might be what you've gleaned from Slaine or the Simpsons,  but that's not what the sources say! 

Every bloody fool on the internet knows better than any expert,  it's a grim state of affairs.  Go burn some Catholic effigies on your own bonfires next week,  you'll feel better.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 October, 2018, 06:33:17 PM
Amazing watching folk on Twitter Samhainsplaining to the various academics who have kindly produced long threads setting out the specific Irish origins of Halloween and its traditions. "Well,  actually... ".

Genuine historians being told repeatedly that there's "no evidence so who can say" despite their repeatedly citing the huge manuscript collections that contain exactly that, and spodes banging on that everything is "Celtic" and "Druidic" so it really comes from Britain too. Well,  no, that might be what you've gleaned from Slaine or the Simpsons,  but that's not what the sources say! 

Every bloody fool on the internet knows better than any expert,  it's a grim state of affairs.  Go burn some Catholic effigies on your own bonfires next week,  you'll feel better.

If that's the case Samhainsplaining this:

DDT did a job on me

M.I.K.

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 October, 2018, 06:33:17 PM

It may very well be Irish, but those same traditions have been around in Scotland for a good few centuries as well.

"OF a' the festivals we hear,
Frae Handsel-Monday till New Year,
There's few in Scotland held mair dear
For mirth, I ween,
Or yet can boast o' better cheer,
Than Hallowe'en.

Langsyne indeed, as now in climes
Where priests for siller pardon crimes,
The kintry 'round in Popish rhymes
Did pray and graen;
But customs vary wi' the times
At Hallowe'en."

( From "Hallowe'en" by John Mayne, 1780 )

von Boom

Reality has no place in the twittersphere.

Frank

Nah, what the entire world celebrates now is Trick Or Treat, a US festival, the international popularity of which dates back to that episode of Roseanne[1] where she pretends she's murdered Dan and The Simpsons.

Like Christmas, it's something new that happens at the same time of year something else used to.

[1] Some scholars date the UK's fascination with Trick Or Treat to Spielberg's ET, but I didn't see that until it came on telly years later, so that blows that theory out of the water.

JOE SOAP

We invented Hallowe'en and we combined with our talent for wreckin' the place and blowin' things up.