Main Menu

Question for Discworld fans, obv spoilers

Started by Conexus, 23 November, 2005, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conexus

Okay-in context, almost everybody in the extra curricular creative writing workshop I attend is doing Harry Potter fan fic, and I need to do something to even that out, so   I'll be doing some Discworld fan fic, just need to know this one thing (did ask the two other Discworld fan there, and they didn't know either)
.Re: The Truth, does the Ankh-Morpork Enquirer still exist at the end, or does it die?

longmanshort

I think it still exists, but in a different form since the presses blew up (?)
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Conexus

Thanks fer being so quick, but pity you couldn't be more precise- Almost all of the family Discworld collection are, strangely at the family home-I only have Thud to keep me company in my Student room  

Rob Spalding

I think the Enquirer blew up and is finished, but the Ankh Morpork Times is still going, if that's any help.

Bico

William DeWorde appears in Monsterous Regiment, still working for the Times, though I can't recall if the Enquirer was mentioned.  Pratchett usually has trouble letting characters or ideas alone at just one outing, though (the recurrance of Death Of Rats and Gaspode beisng examples), so I should think it's still going as a sort of running-joke counterpart to the Times.  I've still not read Where's My Cow or Going Postal, so I could be wrong.

damnandblast

I've just finished Going Postal and Sacharissa Cripslock and The Times appear but there's no mention of the Enquirer.

Nigel

Buddy

I gave up when Pratchett was writin' them faster that I could read them, so anything beyong Guards, Guards or so is beyond my relm.

Though they are far better than the Potter hysteria going on at the moment. Pratchett must be fuming about J.Ks success. "but Ive been doing that for YEARS' I can just hear him cry.

I read The Colour of Magic in one sitting, never done that with a book before that (and never since). I couldn't finish the first page of the first Potter book before getting bored.

Still, looing forward to my annual Christmas reading of Hitch Hickers to fill the time off work.

DavidXBrunt

Not only is he fuming he famously made his feelings very clear during an award ceremony acceptance speech.

How diplomatic.

Wils

IIRC, Gary has some *special* names for Mr Pratchett. ;)

Dudley

IIRC, Gary has some *special* names for Mr Pratchett.

"Pussykins!"

Conexus

Real david, this is what Pratchett said, he should be flogged I tell you, I mean...

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4732385.stm" target="_blank">...Suggesting Harry Potter is fantasy???

Conexus

And

"the continued elevation of J. K. Rowling can only be achieved at the expense of other writers".

Well, how could you argue with thaty Real David ?

Quirkafleeg

>IIRC, Gary has some *special* names for Mr Pratchett. ;)

'The Twat in the Hat' is the most mild and they go down hill from there

Gordon had some great gossip about him

Bico

Not that he's bitter.

I like the books he writes, and I'm quite happy to leave the relationship there, but I was quite taken aback by his lack of tact about Josh Kirby's death.  He may have been correct that it doesn't affect the content of the books, but keeping it to himself out of respect might have been an idea.

Darryl

thing is, it was nothing he hadn't said before Josh Kirby's death.

I miss his covers, but Paul Kidy's are nice in a different way, and the new monochrome are very nice...