Main Menu

Sample script attempt..

Started by Wilzon, 31 January, 2011, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilzon

I've been working on a sample script to submit, I'm Illustrating the Judge dredd 'PF' story. Only done the first page so far but would appreciate any helpful feedback:)

Check out my first page here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzon/5404037473/

Cheers!

Spaceghost

Quote from: Wilzon on 31 January, 2011, 02:05:01 PM
I've been working on a sample script to submit, I'm Illustrating the Judge dredd 'PF' story. Only done the first page so far but would appreciate any helpful feedback:)

Check out my first page here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzon/5404037473/

Cheers!

DREDD DOES NOT HAVE STUBBLE!!!

But seriously, nice work. Love the guys expression as he rushes to the loo.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Wilzon

No stubble? Really? Looking through some recent issues I can see you're right. Sure i remember him having stubble before though hmm. Would that kind of thing be frowned upon a lot?

Banners

Based on this, you should aim lower - as you're nowhere near getting in the Prog (sorry). Spend a few years working for fanzines or putting your own comics together - this will allow you to develop, and help build a portfolio.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Wilzon on 31 January, 2011, 02:30:25 PM
No stubble? Really? Looking through some recent issues I can see you're right. Sure i remember him having stubble before though hmm. Would that kind of thing be frowned upon a lot?

Yeah. It's a bit of a bugbear amongst fans. As Dredd has said himself - "I don't trust a Judge with facial hair!", or words to that effect. He's always clean shaven.

Have you had anything published in the small press yet? I would probably start there first if I were you, to get some practice and cement your style.

That's what I'm trying to do anyway.

Wilzon

I have mainly been working in editorial Illustration and have had work published in magazines and newspapers. I and am confident in my style of working, whether this style is appropriate to comics, I'm not sure which is why I posted here for advice. Who would you reckon submitting too if this isn't good enough/or right for 2000ad?

davethomson

Wilzon, your style looks like the kind of work that might find a home in a Fantagraphics book. I'm not sure if they commission work or if they publish independant projects but worth looking into.
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Spaceghost

This might be a good place to start,

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,31614.0.html

A few people on the board are contributing to a 'pulp' comic. There are plenty of places left for artists if you fancy it. I'm illustrating a script by another boarder. If you look through the thread you'll find Christov's contact details, he's organising the whole thing. Send him a link to your Flickr page and I'm sure he'll match your style with a script.

Obviously, it's unpaid, we're all just doing it for the experience and to have something that we've done printed up.

I have to agree with Banners to be honest. While I think your style is great, it's probably not suited to 2000AD strip work in its current form. That doesn't mean its not good, it's just probably not in keeping with the 2000AD 'style'.

I'd like to see you do more comics though.

Wilzon

Thanks Dave I will check them out. Nice work and website by the way! Thanks for the advice Lee I will look into it. I was at odds when drawing the page, whether to go for a more typical comics style, but this is just the way I work. I started colouring it earlier today and it made me realise just how far away it is from the type of work that would appear in the prog.

CrazyFoxMachine

Hey Wilzon it's got it's charms I'm quite fond of it.

I'd like to see your stuff amongst the indie comics - !

Wilzon

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 31 January, 2011, 05:56:48 PM
Hey Wilzon it's got it's charms I'm quite fond of it.

I'd like to see your stuff amongst the indie comics - !

Thanks! I would love to draw for some indie comics.

Neil McClements

It's interesting but I doubt it has the style or depth for Dredd that said I've looked through your flikr account and there is some very good stuff there. The album  cover malicious intent looks great and I love all the hair and beards they have a real pagan feel to them. You obviously have a good artistic eye and a lot of style. I hope I don't sound too flippant but I suspect this board expects a certain atmosphere and mood that is synonymous with Dredd.