Main Menu

Map of Mega City One.

Started by ZenArcade, 22 February, 2014, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Boy is this eating into my Saturday.

Physical constraints etc.

Between the 14 states (whole or partial) set out earlier I have calculated they contain approx 386 present day counties of which approx 55 are in high physical relief zones and another 100+ are in areas prone to flooding/ sea level rise. This could significantly constrain the areas of high urban density.
The West Wall and the dead zone behind it will also whittle down the urban area. It is 60,000 km long isn't it?

Some great stuff on this: the Bos/Wash continuation seems ideal for the really high density area of the Big Meg.
Robert Silverbergs Urban Monads  from his novel The World Inside are fascinating.
Guys Mega City Ones city scape would probably look more akin to the Dredd movie than what we know and love in the weekly. Z
Ps the NW hab zone will follow.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Bat King

Remember Mega City One is built on raised land above the current terrain, the Undercity is beneath. So floodplains... no direct affect on the city as the flooding would happen below ground in most cases.

There are also extensive Black Atlantic defenses.

Unless you are looking at a Movie Universe map... in which case terrain would certainly probably be an issue.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

ZenArcade

Bat King, absolutely, the urban areas built over would be the area as it was in say 2025, I'd envisage a dropping off of pop density west of this core area ie in western parts of present day states such as North Carolina, Virginia West Virginia, upper state New York etc; the Black Atlantic defences are one of the monolithic engineering structures which again will constrain the populated area. I'm currently running my extrapolations off a BlackBerry, a sheet of paper and the suggestions of interested people like you, as I'm in the middle of nowhere down in Co Tyrone. Wait till I get my hands on some hardware on Monday.
I really look forward to perusing City of Dredd, this will be invaluable down the line when I'm going through the map sector by sector.
Keep them coming. Z

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ZenArcade on 22 February, 2014, 04:41:19 PM
Guys Mega City Ones city scape would probably look more akin to the Dredd movie than what we know and love in the weekly. Z

Mega-City 1 in the film cuts out all the sectors from former Carolina all the way down down to Florida:

Trout

This project is unhealthy.

As soon as it's complete, I will start a campaign to persuade any and all of the Dredd writers to do something that makes your map inaccurate. ;)

Never forget the Trout is evil.

ZenArcade

Joe Soap, the more I think about the 2012 film, the more I admire the level of thought which went into it. The 800,000,000 million population suits the area above much better than the weekly/meg world.
However we're going with the prog and the parameters set out therein. I need to get down to Belfast and access prog 355 to start mapping the sector map on to relief and pop density maps.....can't wait.
Trout Trousers, such are the pitfalls concamitant with projects of this nature! Z  :lol:

mimikeke

Let's not forget about the giant mountain range called the Appalachians :)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ZenArcade on 22 February, 2014, 05:27:09 PM
Joe Soap, the more I think about the 2012 film, the more I admire the level of thought which went into it. The 800,000,000 million population suits the area above much better than the weekly/meg world.

It was a lot less drastic than the cut-down in the '95 film; reducing Mega-City 1 to the non-mega sized New York City, a bit of New Jersey and Connecticut:

ZenArcade

Forget about it, mimikeke, we're depending on it, believe me. High relief areas less build, more population needs to be crammed into lower lying areas. For pop density seen in weekly progs (ie Macao or Hong Kong levels) the crude maps we see simply won't cut it. Z

ZenArcade

Ps mimikeke if possible, can you rejig and repost your map with green, red and grey areas to cut out the lower part of North Carolina, and if possible delineate a roughly circular area say the size of Connecticut  to the NW of Lake Ontario. This will give us an idea of the NW hab zones size and location. Thanking you in advance. Z  :D

ZenArcade

Yep Joe Soap, and the population in the 95 movie was a lot lower if memory serves. Z

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ZenArcade on 22 February, 2014, 06:04:16 PM
Yep Joe Soap, and the population in the 95 movie was a lot lower if memory serves. Z

65 million (same population as the UK) and a little more than the Meg is 'nowadays'.

ZenArcade

Yep thought so. The West walls length during the Judgement Day epic was quoted as I think 6,000 km, can anyone confirm? Z

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ZenArcade on 22 February, 2014, 06:15:03 PM
Yep thought so. The West walls length during the Judgement Day epic was quoted as I think 6,000 km, can anyone confirm? Z

'thousand mile front' quote from Meg 2.05.

ZenArcade

Righto, time to go back to the maps. Z