Main Menu

Meg 369: He has awoken

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 13 February, 2016, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Buttonman on 15 February, 2016, 08:47:24 PM
That 'Realm of the Damned' is just screaming out 'Look at me! Controversial!' - For your money you get two 'cunts' and eight 'fucks' and a demon dude pissing blood into someone's mouth. Not offended just a bit disappointed.
So it's Big Dave then? :lol:

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 February, 2016, 09:32:00 PM
That 'Realm of the Damned' is just screaming out 'Look at me! Controversial!' - For your money you get two 'cunts' and eight 'fucks' and a demon dude pissing blood into someone's mouth. Not offended just a bit disappointed.
So it's Big Dave then? :lol:

No, it's offensive.

Not sure how I feel about it TBH. Intriguing, but maybe cliched. Controversial, or confrontational. But it's job is done as I'll read it next month, which is more than I did with the last few Demon Nics.

I hope the two aren't tonally similar.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

FAILED EDIT: It had a 40 Days of Night vibe for me
Lock up your spoons!

James Stacey

Got to agree. I thought the house of Tharg had progressed past this sort of thing. I'll stick with it for a week or so but not a good start.

IronGraham

Reading this and the prog stories by the Carroll Droid makes me want a collection of his work. Please Thargy baby can you... er do this for me please :thumbsup:
We're werewolves not swearwolves

DrJomster

Loved the various panel layouts in Dust this month. Gorgeous stuff!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

The Adventurer

Finally got the Meg, and jumped to Realm of the Damned just to see what the hub-bub was about.

Seemed okay, lots of curses and gooey amounts of ultra violence. Not too extreme really.

Then THAT moment happens, and I'm like [spoiler]"Bloody Piss, Good Song Title" - Nathan Explosion[/spoiler]

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

On the Realm of the Damned bruharhar. Reading the Interrogation with Alec Worley (and Pye) you get the impression he knows the violence and pissing and cunting is all a bit silly and immature but it part of the stuff they are going for. Its Black Death Metal (whatever its called its a circle of music I'm ignorant to) and the strip has been built to buy into it. Its all a bit of nonsense and for me nowt to get excited about either way. Alas that means neither is the strip at this point and while the first part has been very much scene setting I'm not overly optimistic as to where this will go, as all its done in 8 pages or so is spew out our baddy and set the the tone, neither of which struck me as interesting. Still plenty of time and space for it to turn things around, but when you compare it to Demon Nic, with its invention, charm and guile its pretty flat stuff.

As to be honest is much of the rest of the Meg right now. Judge Dredd is okay Mike Carroll but I'm not a big fan of the art and found a couple of storytelling problems with it. When you compare it to what he's just produced (Mike Carroll that is) in the Prog this just isn't as strong. Dredd is another quite flat and bland strip and DeMarco is really hitting any heights. My Meg experience had a really strong start, but issues like this are how I imagined it to be which kept me away for years. Still I'm sure things will pick up again soon and I enjoyed the text pieces... alas more than the strips right now which can't be right!

Mikey

I really like the fact you have to look twice at the cover to get some idea what it is. It's not immediately apparent, but the bloody bones are a clue...

The Gyre is just OK for me in that I was really looking forward to it given the creative team. I love the tone and mood of the art and there's enough to keep me engaged story wise, but feel it will be more significant down the line. I like how Mr Carrol is ploughing his own furrow with Dredd  that's building into a solid set of stories, and the more procedural aspect works well for me.

Like others I feel Demarco comes across as a bit rushed through for some reason. I wonder if it's the effect of super easy reading of Yeowil's art? Anyway, it's fine altogether.

Now Realm of the Damned I entirely loved! Perhaps it was the interview giving a bit of insight, or maybe I've never got rid of that part of me that was drawn to the more extreme end of metal , but I didn't find it self conscious or deliberately courting controversy at all. Lush art and an efficient set up of an entertaining horror story - great stuff in my book! Best story in this issue fir me. I also mostly enjoyed Demon Nic, so there's room for all round mine.

And Dredd - Dust is great stuff too. I'm enjoying seeing this subtly different version of ol stony face and if Willsher's drawing, I'm all eyes.

Overall, maybe the Meg isn't hitting the mark quite as it has been doing for the last couple of years, but still a good read.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SuperSurfer

Cracked me up that "big f**cking eagle" had to be censored in the Dan McDaid interview and yet it was deemed ok to show a demon's todger (and clockweights) peeing blood onto some guy's face.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 24 February, 2016, 04:49:09 PM
Cracked me up that "big f**cking eagle" had to be censored in the Dan McDaid interview and yet it was deemed ok to show a demon's todger (and clockweights) peeing blood onto some guy's face.

Ha! I missed that. That's gold... and no not that kind...

staticgirl

I am not sure at the moment that Realm of The Damne will have a particularly interesting story as I am a bit vampired out but the artwork is vividly gruesome and excellent. Nice work Pyedroid.

NapalmKev

Although i'm not a fan of the Black Metal genre I thought Realm of the Damned started promisingly.

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

I, Cosh

Quite surprised to find the movie Dredd strip my favourite thing in this month's Meg. An interesting attempt at bringing the Cursed Earth and some of the wackier elements of Dredd into the more grounded continuity of the film.
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 February, 2016, 05:59:46 PM
On the Realm of the Damned bruharhar. Reading the Interrogation with Alec Worley (and Pye) you get the impression he knows the violence and pissing and cunting is all a bit silly and immature but it part of the stuff they are going for. Its Black Death Metal (whatever its called its a circle of music I'm ignorant to) and the strip has been built to buy into it.
I think this just about captures my own thoughts on Realm of the Damned. I agree completely that a bit more of a nod and a wink in the script would've made things more interesting but the bits of the interview I skimmed indicate that playing it straight is a deliberate choice. I suppose I'm just too old and jaded to find that either remotely offensive or like totally awesome, dude! If anyone's remotely interested in reading about some of the stuff that's being referenced here I'd highly recommend the book Lords of Chaos. What I definitely wouldn't recommend is listening to any of the music mentioned in it.

Don't think I've ever seen Pye's strip art before so that was a very pleasant surprise.

A vast agglomeration of smaller vessels lashed together around an old aircraft carrier and drifting along the Pacific coast before attempting a mass landing on the California coast. Unless I'm misremembering Snow Crash, the setting for The Gyre is definitely one for the 2000AD sci-fi swipe file.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 24 February, 2016, 04:49:09 PM

The Meg has had a bit of a schizophrenic attitude towards self-censorship for a long time.  Fucks, and now cunts, in the stories; while asterisks in the interviews.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"