Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I genuinely don't understand why it's still legal. Perhaps it's something to do with it being hidden, and people not liking to talk about genitals. But imagine if a religion was all about hacking off earlobes or nose tips. After all, you don't really 'need' those. As for blood running cold – more blood boiling here.

Robin Low

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 October, 2018, 10:13:41 AMIt's also proven in recent history to be reversible in terms of attitude. Australia used to echo the US (and how the UK was a long while ago) regarding how common this was. They then switched guidelines, and within a generation the numbers dropped significantly. In the US, though, they still cling to this, offering all kinds of bullshit regarding hygiene, cancer risk, and even sex (with American women often cited as apparently preferring a cut bloke – probably because that's what they're used to).

For what it's worth, I work in a hospital path lab and we get adult foreskins on a regular if not daily basis. A very tiny fraction of the overall workload, of course, but they can be troublesome. As you note in your subsequent post, people don't like talking about these things.

That said, I'm not keen on the idea of routine circumcision without consent, either.

Regards,

Robin

Funt Solo

The BBC cementing the heuristic that any headline that asks a Yes/No question has a really obvious answer:

Should women be spelt womxn?

(Saves anyone the trouble of reading the article.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Anyone who is familiar with the Irish boys in blue will be at once completely unsurprised and utterly terrified to hear about the vindication of Sergeant Maurice McCabe.

It turns out that (as a whistleblower who tried to expose Garda corruption) he is not a paedophile who abused his own children, but rather the victim of a conspiracy by his colleagues to smear his name. Though, fortunately, most people realised that a long time ago.

Fuck, to quote the late Eazy E, tha police. The Irish ones anyway.  Lucky there's a few like McCabe still around.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Our costumed crackpots are no different. Liars, cheats and bullies, in my experience, protected by the illusion of power. Even the good ones seem to think they're above the rest of us, protected by magic costumes given to them by the deluded muppets in government.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

Are the Tories all doing a Gulbadeen Hekmatyar and attacking their allies to weaken them in the final Brexit negotiations or are we going to crash out? Miserable question but is it jockeying or something much worse, and we go out of the Eurozone back to WTO rules plus NI border shambles?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

We're going to crash out, unless there's a last-second climbdown by the UK or MPs find a collective spine.

Professor Bear

It's a shame I'm not much of an Irish nationalist because if I was I could be enjoying this whole karmic payback thing.  If nothing else it'll be a hoot to see Irish people making famine jokes about the British.

TordelBack

Yeah,  I dont think our economically-ruined terrorist-stalked island would be in much of a position to gloat*. We'd certainly be suffering a hell of a lot more than Boris & Chums,  unless someone takes a pop at Brighton again... And I don't even know how I'd feel about that at this point. And if I don't,  you can be sure there's plenty whose feelings are quite clear.

Given as how EVERY permutation of Brexit is intrinsically a disaster, my money is on the average venal opportunist secretly angling for a last minute re-run and scrapping of Article 50 so that they can play the see-sawing markets for a bit and then settle back into lucrative careers of spittle-flecked divisionist euro-blaming.  That's not going to be any fun either, but on a purely personal note it'd be better than teenagers pointing guns at me every time I fancy some cheap booze and fireworks and tit-for-tat atrocities on the radio every morning.

*Never stopped us before...

Professor Bear

I am reasonably certain that if the RA don't kill any civilian casualties in their upcoming campaign, they will be the first terrorist group to have the support of the majority of the UK's population.

TordelBack

JamesC

Ugh - after listening to the radio news I now how have Tommy Robinson's weird football chant/ call out stuck in my head. I really don't want to absentmindedly vocalise it in public.

JamesC

To be clear - I'm not talking '2,4,6,8 Motorway'.

Professor Bear

I was happy that the news was giving Robinson free publicity just to get a break from the near-constant coverage of the five earthquakes that struck Blackpool in one day and which have no possible explanation.  Not even the engineers working on the nearby fracking operation that had recently restarted causing subterranean explosions in an attempt to create earthquakes could explain where all these earthquakes were suddenly coming from.

Dandontdare

Haven't you heard? We don't have to worry about those because they're going to redefine them so they won't be dangerous, progress-impeding earthquakes any more.