Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: von Boom on 09 November, 2018, 06:38:56 PM
I always thought Circle K was something made up for Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but now they're real

Strange things are afoot ...

Adolph Hitler was Nazi party member 555. He was actually one of the very first recruits*, but Drexler and Eckart started membership numbers at 500 because they thought it might make them look a little less like a chickenshit club for angry weirdoes.

The only thing weirder than being a Nazi is being the kind of weirdo who reads all those books they have in your local library about the Nazis, but my interest has been piqued by Robert Evans's Behind The Bastards, which has done deep dives into the complicity of German business in the Nazi's rise, the history of fascism in the USA, and the Koch brothers, as well as very funny potted histories of Leopold III and wacky loons like L Ron Hubbard.

* Hilariously, once he was made Fuhrer, Schicklegruber would have his membership card altered to give the impression he was in on the ground floor (number 7). I mean, HE RULED MOST OF EUROPE, but once an insecure narcissist, always an insecure narcissist.

Frank

Quote from: Frank on 09 November, 2018, 07:21:55 PM
the complicity of German business in the Nazi's rise

That makes me worse than Hitler.

Trout

That was good fun. Thanks.

Tiplodocus

That was great. Cheers.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Smith

Nostalgia can be toxic sometimes.

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 11 November, 2018, 07:53:17 PM

It ain't what it used to be,  that's for sure.

Smith

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 November, 2018, 08:21:44 PM

My childhood was so awesome because I had nostalgia.Poor kids today,all they have is these reality shows and   
all that crap...

von Boom

Quote from: Smith on 11 November, 2018, 09:14:10 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 11 November, 2018, 08:21:44 PM

My childhood was so awesome because I had nostalgia.Poor kids today,all they have is these reality shows and   
all that crap...
You aren't wrong there. Reality television is killing imagination.

Fungus

Proudhuff

, but my interest has been piqued by Robert Evans's Behind The Bastards, which has done deep dives into the complicity of German business in the Nazi's rise, the history of fascism in the USA, and the Koch brothers, as well as very funny potted histories of Leopold III and wacky loons like L Ron Hubbard.

Thanks for that... off down that rabbit hole  :-\
DDT did a job on me

CalHab

Quote from: Proudhuff on 12 November, 2018, 11:17:07 AM
, but my interest has been piqued by Robert Evans's Behind The Bastards, which has done deep dives into the complicity of German business in the Nazi's rise, the history of fascism in the USA, and the Koch brothers, as well as very funny potted histories of Leopold III and wacky loons like L Ron Hubbard.

I was momentarily confused there and thought that the author of The Third Reich trilogy and Cambridge Professor of History had brought out some new and unusual-for-him work. But that's Richard Evans.

As you were.

Frank

Quote from: CalHab on 12 November, 2018, 12:45:00 PM

I was momentarily confused there and thought that the author of The Third Reich trilogy and Cambridge Professor of History had brought out some new and unusual-for-him work. But that's Richard Evans.

The guy with the high-pitched laugh from the Red Letter Media videos? That's range.

CalHab

Quote from: Frank on 12 November, 2018, 12:47:23 PM

The guy with the high-pitched laugh from the Red Letter Media videos? That's range.

At the risk of straying into Politics thread territory, I'd recommend Richard Evans' (who, as far as I am aware, has never reviewed a Star Wars film) writings on the David Irving trial as a topical read. Alternatively, if you want a laugh, his review of Boris Johnson's Churchill book is a classic:
https://www.newstatesman.com/books/2014/11/one-man-who-made-history-another-who-seems-just-make-it-boris-churchill

Frank

Quote from: CalHab on 12 November, 2018, 01:02:37 PM
Quote from: Frank on 12 November, 2018, 12:47:23 PM

At the risk of straying into Politics thread territory, I'd recommend Richard Evans' (who, as far as I am aware, has never reviewed a Star Wars film) writings on the David Irving trial as a topical read. Alternatively, if you want a laugh, his review of Boris Johnson's Churchill book is a classic: (LINK)

'This book claims the Nazis captured Stalingrad'

Like most humans, I know one thing about Stalingrad*. The inability to understand history and carelessness over detail displayed in Johnson's writing explain why Michael Gove was able to torpedo his leadership ambitions so easily.

It's easy to get confused by small details. Evans usually starts his show by clarifying that he's the other Robert Evans.

* That Hitler failed, in spectacular and consequential fashion, to conquer Stalingrad