Main Menu

Positive things this board has done...

Started by paulvonscott, 26 May, 2008, 09:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Firey-Bou

what about 'friendships' between the children of boarders... how cool is that ?!

Hoagy

When your confidence in tooth is waining there's always someone still excited about something past present or future that's going on in tooth.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Leigh S

As Krom says, even when the prog is not firing on all cylinders for you, it's at least comfort to see that others are getting something from it.  I think there was a period of almost (maybe over) a year not too far in the past when the prog barely tickled my thrill censors outside of Wagners Dredd.  Now I've been there before (and without the comfort of Wagners Dredd!) but at the stage in my life I'm at, it would have been quite tempting for me to put away the progs and save the cash for (frankly) more important things.  Being here has kept my enthusiasm for Tharg and comics ticking along even when the progs haven't. I've met some genuinely nice virtual chaps whose enthusiasm, and indeed their disappointments have mirrored or been a counterpoint to mine, and kind of kept the progs interesting, even when of themselves they were things to read once and be a tad deflated by.

Funt Solo

Oh - it's a farking bank holiday - that explains why the sodding antique dealers aren't answering their c*cking phone.

---

Positive things about the board:

* The temperate language.
* I've seen creators come in here and get information from the hive mind that they desire to assist them with the creation of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic: such as the best sources of reference art from the back catalogue.
* The members of the board actively participate in updating the content of the database, to ensure that it is as accurate and complete as possible.
* Both of the above services are provided absolutely free of charge, and this is the first time I know of that anyone's been gauche enough to point it out, but then it's a reaction to the recent "what's the board done for us lately" attitude sent down from on high.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Ignatzmonster

This board has been incredibly helpful to me as a new and American reader. There is little to no information about 2000ad in the States and any questions I had would have gone unanswered if it had not been for the members of this board. Thanks guys btw.

I think some kibitzing and kvetching is to be expected on a board, But any negativity here is far, FAR from uniform. Go to any other comic, book, movie, music board and you will see much worse than ever takes place on the tooth board.

Dandontdare

I love this board!

At first I thought it would just be a place I'd visit on the odd occasion to chat/find out about prog-related gubbins, but the scope and variety of the topics is fantastic. Now I tend to drop in nearly every day even if I don't post.

You're all such lovely people and Wake was dead helpful with technical stuff when I first joined. Long may the fanzone endure!

Ignatzmonster

Oh, and I'm also indebted to this board for letting me know my simultaneous love for Tooth, Ben Katchor, Bob Burden, Sam Fuller, Dave Sim, the Wire, Pat Mills, The Hernandez Bros, Hugo Pratt, old action newspaper strips, Westerns by men named Sergio, Alexandro Jodorowsky, Igmar Bergman, Peter Bagge,Sandbaggers, Milk and Cheese, Osamu Tezuka, and some superhero comics (depending on who the writer is)is not unique. There are at least four of us! It's good not to be alone.

Rex Banner

Already said but this board is such a nice place. New people are always made welcome. Arguments happen but it seldom reduces to name calling.

The talent on display amongst the members is fantastic. The monthly art competition really shows it off but also all the small press writers and artists and the droids who stop by.

Advice is freely sought and given with no one made to feel stupid.

And it's blatently obvious that we are all here because we care what happens to 2000AD, there may be a story we don't like or art we criticize but at the end of the day I will stiil be standing in my local thrill-merchant, groats in hand wanting to buy next week's prog.

Dandontdare

I second that about the art comps - the standard is mighty impressive! Makes me wish I wasn't so kak-handed with a pencil

Dog Deever

I'm stuck in the boondocks beyond the Grampian Mountains- all my 2k loving friends have long since taken the sensible decision to get out of this economically-depressed, semi-rural ghetto. This board puts me in touch with other tooth readers, and got me back to doing a couple of bits and pieces for  small press, which I would otherwise probably never gotten involved with given my location.
I also went to Hi-Ex because of this board, I would probably never have heard of it, or even been moved to go had it not been for the board.
That let me meet other boarders
Unless I'm researching something, if it weren't for here, e-mails, my fitba team forum and the band myspace , there'd be little point in me being connected to t'internet.

like most others- I find it a civilised place to be, most other forums and message boards are patrolled by control-freaks who're often members who've been there for years and don't want the new boys to play with their toys.

Chat is diverse an entertaining and all in all I think the place has probably helped to keep the comic alive, or at least bring it back from the brink.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Cthulouis

Lots of links to great stuff, both tooth and non tooth things (The Slain fan film trailer particularly springs to mind).

And who could forget such threads as the "How many people live in Mega City One?" thread?

WoD

I've met (actually met in person) some very nice people who I wouldn't have met otherwise.  I've been able to collaborate on projects, plucked up the courage to get some stuff in print, part-edited FQ (although the big credit goes to Bolt and RAC really).  I've been able to give away a few things that people needed (as far away as Japan), I've collected books and autographs for people who couldn't attend a convention and I've been lucky (very lucky) to have other people do similar things for me.  And I know if I need PC techy help who to ask, gaming advice who to ask, esoteric discussions about space bees who to ask, etc.

It's also bloody funny at times (with Wils being responsible for more than one coffee covered keyboard).

It's a great place in general, with generally great people too.

Oh yeah, and there's the whole bringing peace to the middle east thing (oh bugger...I've spoliered that now...that doesn't happen till next year!).

JTurner

More people would have found this forum than another random comics site on the internet. The amount of comics creators brought together here is pretty incredible.

Ditto the percentage of boarders here who have actually met up in real life.

Peter Wolf

Intelligence and lots of it.

Tharg ought to be proud about that.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122/peterwolf_album/?action=view¤t=Photo18.jpg" target="_blank">http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z122/peterwolf_album/Photo18.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Also i wouldnt be doing this if it wasnt for here.This was done today.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Something Fishy

I just think this is the nicest board on the web.  The only one that I have stayed at for many years.