Main Menu

Positive things this board has done...

Started by paulvonscott, 26 May, 2008, 09:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

I've said everything I have to say about recent board events (see recent messages) and anything I haven't said is best left unsaid.

And while I often hear negatives things said about the board, largely from people who don't participate in it, I think it's a very positive place (on the whole).

So, if you want say one (or more things) which the board has done that is good, why not post it here and add a positive message on a positive thread about a positive board.

Richmond Clements

And apart from soppy shit-

I would never had even considered writing for a small press title before I started posting here.
Now I help edit five comics!

And am a co-organiser of the only international comic event in Scotland- 14th and 15th Febuary 2009 folks!

Link: http://www.hi-ex.co.uk/" target="_blank">HIEX!

paulvonscott

Starting off, I think the message board is a huge resource of information about the comic.  

One example of this (why not post more) is that when putting together collections of strips, especially 'complete' ones, the chances are that someone on the board will have an almost encylopedic knowledge of that strip and know which additional strips need to be included from obscure publications, which might not even register on the database.  

The board likes to help with these things and likes to see good collections put out.  Perhaps the board could be asked more often about proposed contents for certain collections and asked to comment?  If asked, we're usually very polite and helpful!

Queen Firey-Bou

I would never have started drawing strips, which led to illo type things which has led to painting again which has led to persuing a full time art 'career' instead of putting up with a desk job running a development plan for a feasability study of a public money co-ordinater facilatators  managers job....or pot washing.

It has taught me that the world does begin & end with the village pub & conversations about shinty & sheep & wife beating and it is safe to leave the glen and humans who read comics are somewhat more interesting that those who all share the same surname beginning with 'Mac'.

more importantly what RAC says.

THis board is great !

Richmond Clements

Rather disappointing that this thread isn't getting any posts..!

DavidXBrunt

Well all the cool boarders are having a big Bank Holiday party gathering and so are off line.

Richmond Clements

Damn them all!
And here's me sitting here working like a chump!

Tweak72

This Board has been a haven form me in many ways. I can talk to people who are pretty like minded and not the least bit mental like on the rest of the interweb. Most things I want to find or know more about in the world of Sci Fi, Comics, Film or general geekdom I can start by asking here. I can talk to the people who work on the stuff I read (Rufus, PJ and occasionally Boo amongst others) and know that they are real human beings and not some kind of prima donna rock star idiot type.

I love this board.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

The Monarch

can't really add anymore to what tweak just said

thats my feeling of this board

Peter Wolf

This board is not full of anonymous aggressive rude confrontational types who seem to be found on *most*
 other forums.

Its very civilised.

Interesting topics and chat.

Humour and the sharing of it even my own warped style of humour.Life without humour is crap.

I wouldnt have bothered to start drawing again or at all which has led away from comic art for the time being into landscapes with some success it has to be said.So if i do get some success out of it then its because of here.

Thats all for now.Theres plenty more to post when i am in a better mood.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Albion

It's my favourite place on the net.

The board has given me countless links to sites and video that I may have never seen otherwise.

The various topics, as well as those related to 2000AD and the Meg have entertained me for years and I hope they can continue to do so.

It also inspired me to do some drawing again, although not much lately. I may even inflict something on you in the current art competition, the first time in ages.

There are some jolly nice and funny people on here too.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

+rufus+

I've got to meet and get to know some really lovely people, Her Majesticness Queen Firey Bou, and the mini Bous particularly!

I've greatly enjoyed seeing the blossoming of Future Quake, Solar Wind, Dog Breath etc, and the effort put in by those involved. Especially from junior members like Mini Bolt.

I work on my own all day, and it's great to look in to see who's saying what... even if I chew my tongue a lot trying not to get to drawn in... ;-)

The internet's a funny thing, it gives us the ability to comment instantly, and yet alas that is also it's greatest drawback.

I hope this board continues to flourish, and expand in a positive way, bot as a resource (as there are many knowledgable people here), and as a place to interact and dissect.

I was thinking about this last night, and the best comparison I can think of is when I buy a new CD or album, it takes a little listening to.

I'd never listen to an album once, and write a hasty review. I'd give it some time and breathing space. Songs that I didn't initially like are often the ones I end up coming back to and loving...

I suppose I''m just trying to say less haste...more enjoyment... because that's what 2000ad should be too!

Right...back to work for me, and thank you everyone!

rufus

Slippery PD

To be honest, I can only repeat what others have said. "Its the best place on the Net for me!"

I find people with similar likes and dislikes, but the main positive is that if your polite about disagreeing with someone.  They are on the whole good about it.  Its not only a comic board, it does politics, TV, music; I may not always agree with everyone, I could single out a number of names here, it doesnt really matter because its all done in the best possible way.  

Also Ive met a number of people, that if it wasnt for distance Id call my friends.  Im not going to list them here and for a board of a comic, I think thats good going.  

Yer "Luv and peace" slips

Bongo Jack

I'm sure there must be one or two 2000ad artists or writers who started off through the board (or its forebears) given the level of interest in the art competitions and large number of indy books advertised here?

Plus, those who've met their other halves through the board: Rac and bou, Wils and erm... Dangermouse Icon.

At least one boarder who's posted pics of his blood-drenched newborn.

Messageboard get-togethers, be it pre/post-convention, or just quick hook-ups for a pint in certain parts of the country.  Barring alcoholism, pints are a Good Thing.

As mentioned above, the indy comics: there's bound to have been artists or writers who hooked up by networking through the board.

Probably a friendship or two made through the board as well.
Live forever or die trying