Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

It's here!

And... it's good. Maybe even very good. Some real continuity deep-dives (at least part of the plot seems to revolve around [spoiler]Bruce Maddox, of all people - I do hope we're actually going to see Brian Brophy reprise his role as Data's oily pen-pal[/spoiler]) and a much more pivotal role for [spoiler]everyone's favourite android[/spoiler] than might have been apparent. Some may have a problem with the much more insular direction Star Fleet seems to have gone in, but we all know Picard's going to sort that out and restore Rodenberry's dream.

And what do you know - [spoiler]Worf[/spoiler] does appear, albeit only as a still image. So far...

IAMTHESYSTEM

I enjoyed it, looked very similar to Discovery SFX wise though Picard does rely on dream sequences and 'news' flashbacks which some might see as sluggish. The usual Moop troops get there ass kicked trope is here, but the fights themselves were well staged. The final reveal was a shocker, and I'll be watching next Friday's for more Picard excitement!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Unbelievably good first episode. Much like Dark Crystal, I'm genuinely struggling to believe it exists. That they would go *that* deep into continuity, on multiple strands, and still keep things believable, fresh and moving, I never imagined. Opening with effectively a direct call back to the last scene of Next Generation... gulp.

Keep it up chaps, this is yours to lose now.

IndigoPrime

Just watched with Mrs IP. She's a bit of a Trekkie. I'm not but I'll watch it. We... weren't so impressed. Mrs IP wondered where the rest of the first episode was. I just found it slow and meandering, and weirdly paced. I'll carry on for a couple of more episodes though.

Dandontdare

whilst there is still potential for them to drop the ball plotwise, from that first episode, this trekkie says
FUCK YEAH!

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, I enjoyed that. And so did Mrs Tips. Lots to unpack for Trek fans, lots of nice themes and a nice mystery for non-Trek fans.

Having to ignore the Picard stunt doubles is my biggest problem which says something.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

What's wrong with us? Surely we should be hating on it?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

DrRocka

Add my voice to the appreciation. Got a bit lost in all the exposition (can't remember half the stuff from a tv series I enjoyed thirty years ago), but I felt it was a very worthy example of What Happened Next. Was a bit perturbed in the "coming soon" montage at the end by [spoiler]what looked like Riker dead on a slab on front of Picard. [/spoiler]
All great though - much preferred this to Discovery. This felt like Star Trek at last.
Never ever bloody anything ever

broodblik

I liked it and was a great new edition to the Trekverse
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 January, 2020, 12:14:59 AM
What's wrong with us? Surely we should be hating on it?

That's why I sound so cautious in my earlier post - I'm not used to genuinely liking things!

TordelBack

It's truly amazing to me that they would embrace things from unloved Insurrection, Nemesis and alt-Trek ST2009, AND details and characters from such a spread of episodes Measure of a Man, The Offspring, All Good Things. And then to have Picard actually be a physically old man, and not something like the indestructible Indy from.Crystal Skull.

My high hopes now exist to be crushed.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 January, 2020, 12:14:11 AM

Having to ignore the Picard stunt doubles is my biggest problem which says something.

Haha, yeah, I had to do that too! The chase scene was full of them!

I found it a bit slow to be honest, but enjoyable enough. I'm definitely in for the series.

My partner surprised me, a non-Trekkie and indeed non-sci-fi person. She spotted references to ST:TNG that went completely over my head, such as a banner from an episode when they all turned into children. It turns out she had watched the entire series back in the day 'just because it was on when I came home from work'. Plus she finds bald men hot.

Professor Bear

The trailer that ran at the end looked like one of those fan-made trailers cobbling together scenes and soundtracks from other places, so painfully generic that it works as parody - though I did like that a lot of elements in the show and trailer are things that appeared in fan productions over the years - particularly the abortive Star Trek: Renegades and the Trek pastiche Space Command - and were rubbished for being too fan-wanky.

But hey, Federation society has re-invented the concept of news media in the years since Nemesis?  Good for them!

The Legendary Shark

I enjoyed this a lot, it finally washed away the shitty taste of Discovery and restored my faith in the Trek. Things like the Captain Picard Day banner prompted genuinely warm smiles from this jaded old coot. Wonderful!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]