Main Menu

New Rebellion AvP game

Started by Satanist, 11 February, 2009, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

I got this yesterday.  I've only played some of the Marine mission but i'm loving it so far.

As a big Aliens fan it captures the feel really well.

HdE

I gotta admit - I'm tempted to grab an Xbox 360 Arcade and splash out on this.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Pete Wells on 20 February, 2010, 08:43:32 AM

I'm liking it a lot, but fear it may be very short for the single player. I've only done a couple of missions on each species and it says I'm 24% done already...

Thats what i thought would be the case.3 shortish games rather than one longer game.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

radiator

Finally got the time to have a decent go on this last night - and can say that from what I've seen so far, Rebellion have pulled it off.

Playing as the Marine, I found the first few levels to be slightly frustrating, but have been really enjoying the [spoiler]jungle levels, battling the acid spitting aliens and scarpering from the Predators![/spoiler]

I'd say it's more of an action game than the original PC AvP - which had more of a panicy, survival horror feel. While there's still the odd hair-raising moment, it's nothing compared to the constant, almost unbearable tension of the original. Whether this is a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion - personally I think the more action-oriented gameplay suits the console audience they're going for.

Had a quick play around with the Predator too. Leaping from tree to tree, skewering people with the wrist-blades is brilliant - it's a massive improvement on the Predator levels from the previous games - fans of the films will love it.

Still don't understand the criticism of the graphics - some of the exterior views of the installations are breathtaking - and while it's not up there with the likes of Gears and Halo, I wouldn't expect it to be as it's a multi-platform release.

It's not perfect - as I said above there's the odd frustrating moment but from my experience the 6/10 reviews are being way too harsh - it's a very solid game and certainly one of the best licensed games I've ever played. The predominant 8/10 scores seem far more accurate.

Haven't been online with it yet - I'm not massively into deathmatch style games, and anyway I think rushing headlong into multiplayer and seeing everything the game has to offer all at once spoils the singleplayer experience somewhat.

uncle fester

Just got this yesterday. Tried the marines storyline and it's terrifying! But then Dead Space was scary to me. I don't know if anyone else thought the same. I got so caught up in the atmosphere of it, I forgot that a predator was going to be part of the story...

Playing as the alien is the most fun, crawling across ceilings and taking lights out to create more shadowy hiding places. Then hanging directly above unsuspecting marines... Have only had a quick go on the Predator story but the laser sighted gun is great fun too.

Pete Wells

Cor, just completed it and very enjoyable it was too!

It wasn't as short as I expected, however due to the nature of the three overlapping stories, it does tend to use the same maps over and over, which feels like a bit of a cheat. Still, seeing things happen from different perspectives is very cool! An example - as an alien, one of my objectives was to smash a power generator to open all the doors in a laboratory to allow mine, and my fellow xenomorphs' escape. Later on though, when I was playing the part of the marine, I found myself slap bang in the middle of the laboratory just as a certain alien blew the generator and all the doors opened, releasing all the aliens! I wonder which twat did that!?!

It really is a great game and I'm looking forward to going back through the missions at a more leisurely pace to find the rest of the tapes and to toy with my prey a bit more! Oh, I found it amusing that there were robots in who looked quite a lot like the T-600's from Terminator Salvation. The Terminator franchise is linked with the Aliens and Predator one isn't it?

I'd agree with Radiator that it deserves the 8/10 type marks as it is really enjoyable with a very cool story going through it. It's nicely left open for a sequal too, and I for one hope we get one...

uncle fester

You've finished it already?? I keep getting wiped out by the first encounter with the aliens! Saying that, my shooting accuracy brings 'cow's arse' and 'banjo' to mind. I think the two may be linked...

bluemeanie

Been playing just the Alien missions so far.
Took a while to get the sound going but after a bit of net searching I found the fix.
Fun stuff so far, nice and violent!

SamuelAWilkinson

I've finished the Marine campaign and toyed a bit with the others, and it's crackin' fun. My only gripe (and it's probably my own fault for not ramping up the difficulty more) is that the humans are a lot harder than they should be. Especially early on when you're popping caps in Xeno asses with only a pistol.

The multiplayer looks pretty ace, too - I'm very tempted to finally get round to hooking the Xbox up to the web and playing some Live.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Proudhuff

In view of all the above, I'll get this....when the price drops a bit  :D
DDT did a job on me

Goaty

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 February, 2010, 02:00:03 PM
In view of all the above, I'll get this....when the price drops a bit  :D

me too :)

the shutdown man

I've just had a quick go of it so far, I've tried the first mission on each species, but it seems pretty good to me. The marine level has the same creepy atmosphere I remember from the original, (i.e. everything sets off the motion detector, like boxes falling over). I see what people are saying about the alien controls though, they're a bit awkward. Not impossible or anything, but they just take a bit of getting used to compared to the previous games.

My one gripe is that the game really needs dedicated server support for the multiplayer side of it. I've only tried a game or two (infestation mode is loadsa fun) but without dedicated support, it's crap pings, and if the host leaves, the game cuts out. They're working on this though, so hopefully it'll be sorted soon.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Keef Monkey

The multiplayers great on this, takes a while to get the controls and tactics down for each species, but when you get a shot as Predator in Predator Hunt and take out a few marines in a row before they tag you it's amazingly empowering, just like the movies! Having most trouble with the aliens really but I'm sure that'll come, it's the only SP campaign I haven't tried yet.

Something Fishy

Quote from: HdE on 20 February, 2010, 08:01:41 PM
I gotta admit - I'm tempted to grab an Xbox 360 Arcade and splash out on this.

For me this is certainly fun enough to be worth grabbing one (and there's stacks of other stuff out there too).

Keef Monkey

Played the Alien campaign last night, it's by far the shortest so if anyone's playing that first don't worry, the Marine and Predator ones are chunkier! Still great though, I guess rattling through the maps tearing through fleshbags is more akin to the Alien style so naturally it'll be briefer. All 3 campaigns are quality, can't decide whether the predator or marine ones are my favourite...