Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Walter might find himself mistweated due to being given fweedom after his wole in the Wobot Webellion. Considered to have "ideas above his station" by humans and wobots alike and unable to find any place to fit in - perhaps ultimately being employed as a Justice Department Auxiliary in a sector house canteen after being found living wough on the stweets because his pwogwamming won't allow him to claim welf because it means fewer cwedits will be available to spend on humans, which violates the Wules of Wobotics. I hated Walter in the comics but he has the potential to be a weally intewesting twagi-comic character...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: SIP on 18 May, 2017, 01:02:43 PM
The most interesting Dredd's for me are the procedural episodes involving the resources of justice department and an investigating Dredd. These kind of storylines would also perhaps be the most accessible to a general audience.

Wobots, rampaging lawmasters, max normal, not the right way to go.

Pleased don't let this be "wacky" in any way. The tone should be serious with an undercurrent of nihilistic black humour.

But the show doesn't have to be wacky and silly if characters like Walter and Max are in it.   That's all part of the satire of the comic.   Max was a weird freak and quite amusing.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of wry humour and satire in the show (as long as it doesn't end up like that awful Superfiend cartoon or Jar Jar fuckin Binks of course).

TordelBack

If The Big Bang Theory is anything to go by, making fun of speech impediments and immigrant accents is the bleeding edge of contemporary wit.

marko10174

The "goofy" factor of Dredd's universe has been playing on my mind a lot as well. The movie presented itself as a dark, serious, brutal action flick. If the tv show is trying to appeal to that kind of audience, then I do wonder... how will characters like Otto Sump, the fatties, the simps, Walter the wobot, the kleggs, fare in that kind of medium? honestly, I can't even imagine fantastic characters like Mean machine, Chopper, Judge death, or PJ Maybe fitting in to Urban's Dredd's world very well either. I look at Dredd 2012 and think of stories like "America"  "Total war" or "the pitt"

Richard

QuoteEven taking examples from the earliest stories – are the Aggro Dome, Smokatorium, The Taxidermist and even Get Ugly, not brilliantly absurd creations from the early days that can't work?

Certainly a story about human taxidermy could definitely work, because it wouldn't have to be zany. You could do it in a serious, dark and intelligent way, and in fact that is how it was done in the original comic story -- the Jacob Sardini stories only became comedies in the sequels. The original would adapt very well to the screen.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richard on 18 May, 2017, 11:47:52 PMCertainly a story about human taxidermy could definitely work, because it wouldn't have to be zany. You could do it in a serious, dark and intelligent way, and in fact that is how it was done in the original comic story -- the Jacob Sardini stories only became comedies in the sequels. The original would adapt very well to the screen.

And, like a lot of Dredd stories, the original Taxidermist story is also very funny.

blackmocco

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 May, 2017, 11:50:41 AM
Animated, with Mick drawing every frame.

Oh yeah. Sign me up. Then kill me. Haha!

(Actually, I'm not really sure where that leaves us with the animated project. I'm assuming we're probably maybe going to put it out to pasture but not sure. Still think animation's the perfect medium for Dredd if done properly, but hey, I'm a bit biased...)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Richard

Joe Soap: yes it is funny, but in the right kind of way.

jacob g

Sensitive Klegg or bust!

No, seriously, I kind of sad seeing some of the opinios how this new TV series should stay away from styrical and humorous parts of MC-1, like you somewhat ashamed of what made this character and world so great. Gritty good, funny bad.

I get, all this non-nonsense cop stuff worked in movie, but we can go beyond, achieve more and show people how complex and rich meg-one is as a creation. I hope producers use the best parts of 2012 movie, but I also hope they add much more.
margaritas ante porcos

Richard

Nobody is saying there shouldn't be satire.

I'm not against humour either, done in an adult fashion. But half the people on this thread seem to want a kids' show.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richard on 19 May, 2017, 12:05:23 AM
Joe Soap: yes it is funny, but in the right kind of way.

In a way that hasn't been done before with any other Dredd adaptations and which is the way, I believe, most comic fans would want – not the 'zany' approach which I think has been somewhat misconstrued.

I think the different perspectives approach to telling stories within Mega-City One can allow all those particular aspects of serio-comic Dredd to shine brighter than they've previously been allowed to come through. It can also be a way of telling older stories from a perspective that will seem new to more mature eyes.

Quote from: Richard on 19 May, 2017, 12:21:43 AM

There are some who don't care about that aspect and just want a hard R version of Dredd. Fans who only know the 2012 film won't be as familiar with those aspects and don't expect it.

Rusty

Just wondering what the title sequence will be like. What music would be used, etc. Personally, I'd just have a camera follow Dredd as he cruises the streets of MC1 at night, like a chase camera, as he surveys the citizens, prostitutes, druggies et al. Each time he glances at one, cut to flashes of potential crimes they've committed. Not really showing his face or badge. We just know its him. The camera pans out, wide shot of Mega City 1 in all its glory. Title.

Music wise, I'd have the instrumental guitar bit playing from Moby's 'A New Dawn Fades' from Heat.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Richard on 19 May, 2017, 12:21:43 AM

I'm not against humour either, done in an adult fashion. But half the people on this thread seem to want a kids' show.

In what way?

Smith

Thing is...Judge Dredd is everything,its a police procedural,horror,political satire,drama...Just not all of those at the same time.The series could have a similar system.You could have a horror episode,then a political episode,then a Chopper episode(just examples).