Main Menu

Rogue Trooper (and related G.I's) Fanzine

Started by Steven Denton, 04 October, 2017, 03:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightybren

QuoteYup. They'll be terrible, but nobody else ever has to see them, and you'll be slowly learning important skills...

That's pretty much the attitude I took with learning to draw heads, and currently with my figure drawing work. Besides, no one wants to see several pages of newsprint covered with hundreds of drawings of torsos and ribcages...

I'll give sequential art a go, but right now my primary focus is nailing the human figure, which is hard work but I know I'm making progress. I've always found my lack of confidence drawing people well to be a barrier to drawing narratives.

Steven Denton

Narratives rely on storytelling and characters being recognisable from frame to frame. you can get away with quite a bit when it comes to anatomy and perspective with sequential art.   

mightybren

Twist my arm... 🙂

I'll give it a go when I get some time for it, probably in a month or so when I slow down a bit with travelling. The problem I get is I notice any errors with anatomy or my drawing in general, even if no one else does, and it bothers me. I'm my own worst critic.

mightybren

Here's that other Tor Cyan image I promised.

See what I mean by my awful figure drawing? ;)

Any constructive criticism on my figure drawing would be much appreciated. Cheers :)

Steven Denton

it's good!

constructive criticism wise, I think you loose the torso and chest. looking at the pose there should be more of Tor on the right hand side of the picture.

I could tell exactly what was going on though which is the most important thing with narrative art

mightybren

Thanks Steven, that's great feedback! I think you're right, the centre line for the figure isn't quite right. I cleaned this up a bit after posting it but that was one thing I didn't see. I know the arms are too long as well, but the exaggeration kinda works with the pose.

I'm glad it's clear whats happening though :) that's very encouraging.

Bolt-01

Also- the hose dangling on his right follows roughly the line expected by the body, causing a slight disconnect.

Its a good pic, though, with a nice dynamism running through it.

Sequentials will definitely help you.

Steven Denton

The arm's are a bit long but you can get away with it. proportions only have to be dead on if you have a dead on style, exaggeration for effect/dynamism is often better than photorealism for energy. 

Bolt is right, if you put the body and upper thy in the line would run pretty much exactly along the line of the hose and smoke.

Sequentials would definitely help. my advice would be start with something short (no more than 4 pages) and just get it done. the first rule of drawing is done not finished, art is never finished but you have to get used to calling it done.

The Legendary Shark

Bren, I'd be happy to send you a few of my old scripts to practice on, with the understanding that they are just for practice and not for submission except as examples of your own work for you to show to editors and such.

Bolt, I assume you don't mind me sending Bren some of my scripts you've already published in the past and none of the ones still in your system?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bolt-01

Shark- no worries at all. If Bren wanted I'd be happy to pass him scripts till he was confident enough with his skills.

There are a few other folk out there quietly working away on getting sequentials up to standard in exactly that manner.

Steven Denton

There are the sample scripts https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=27411.0 That are pretty good practice. they have been done by dozens of artist.

Feedback is probably quite important. one of the advantages of working on a live script for a small press anthology is you get an editor (in the case of the Rogue fanzine me, with FQP bolt) and that artist editor relationship is invaluable.

The Legendary Shark

Great stuff. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

mightybren

Oh wow, thanks guys!

I really didn't see that hose... I'll admit I was lazy with that background and focussed most of my efforts on the figure, but now it's been pointed out I can see how it's problematic. That's an invaluable lesson for me to pay more attention to composition and leading lines. Funnily enough it's something I'm looking for in my photography work all the time.
It shouldn't be too much effort for me to rework this... it's just finding the time. I've finished my Art Stars entry however so hopefully soon.

Thanks for the offer of scripts Shark, that's really kind! Genuinely unexpected and I'm kinda speechless 🙂 I'd love to have a look. Would you be willing to have a look at my art and let me know what you think? Or for me to post the art on this forum (or send to PJ for a Friday Fix Up)?
I'm really focussed on learning and building confidence right now, and feedback is the most helpful way for me to progress. I actually enjoy getting feedback anyway... as it forces me to look at what I do differently and think critically. Other than submitting one off drawings or paintings to competitions I'm not really interested in formally submitting anything, and if I did use your scripts for portfolio work I'd let you know and make sure you're credited.

I can't promise I'll work on anything soon, maybe in the next two months at the latest, but feel free to email brendan [dot] meachen [at] gmail.com

Bolt, likewise, I'd love to get some scripts once I've had a go at Sharky's. Recognising you're probably busy already would you be willing to provide me with feedback if I drew some art for them? Or just post them on this forum for review?
If it's work that's already published I want to ensure it's treated properly, so just let me know what's ok and what isn't.

Thanks so much for the support!

Bolt-01

Bren- it's up to you how you want the feedback.

Public feedback can be very valuable, as everyone will get to see what happens, but you may be more comfortable with private feedback.

The PJ option is good as well- PJ knows his stuff.

Either way is fine for me.

mightybren

Thanks Bolt!

I'm happy with public feedback, as it encourages me to commit to improving. Also I figure if I want my artwork to be published then I need to be ready for public scrutiny.

Also if it's public hopefully someone else will see it and learn from my mistakes  ;) critiques of other people's work have been a useful resource so it's good to give something back.

I'm not really that precious, and won't get offended. If I draw something crappy I can always just draw some more.