Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I've never really seen the potential for Dredd as a TV series, and personally I think there's very very little chance it would ever happen, and even less chance of it being good.

But if HBO decided to make one for whatever reason, I'd be very intrigued - they seem to like to tackle one genre at a time and have done crime drama, gangsters, westerns, war serials and most recently fantasy with Game of Thrones - surely sci fi is next on their list? Dredd would seem like a good candidate - especially if it was based on The Pit with an ensemble cast, though it'd be difficult to get the required HBO quota of nudity with a cast of repressed, celibate characters.

vzzbux

How about a series of TV four part movies. Like they did with Farscape The Peacekeeper Wars.
These could cover Block mania, Apoc War and other major events in the Dredd world.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Steve Green

Quote from: radiator on 01 October, 2012, 02:12:07 PM
I've never really seen the potential for Dredd as a TV series, and personally I think there's very very little chance it would ever happen, and even less chance of it being good.

But if HBO decided to make one for whatever reason, I'd be very intrigued - they seem to like to tackle one genre at a time and have done crime drama, gangsters, westerns, war serials and most recently fantasy with Game of Thrones - surely sci fi is next on their list? Dredd would seem like a good candidate - especially if it was based on The Pit with an ensemble cast, though it'd be difficult to get the required HBO quota of nudity with a cast of repressed, celibate characters.

Wally Squad. Sadly it would mostly be Dirty Frank.

Danbo

Quote from: vzzbux on 01 October, 2012, 02:18:10 PM
How about a series of TV four part movies. Like they did with Farscape The Peacekeeper Wars.
These could cover Block mania, Apoc War and other major events in the Dredd world.

V
Yup,thought of this myself,it's doable.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Stan

Let's not be too quick to accept second best though. There's a problem with potential Dredd viewers, not the product itself (as the critical response from those who have actually seen it suggests). Once it comes out on DVD the general trollulace will likely realise the error of their ways and anything can happen from there.

orinAGN

On the topic of a Dredd TV Series.

What I think would work best...
Is to just call it something like 2000 AD, or something 2000 AD related.  And have the show run as an anthology series, much like "Tales from the Crypt" or "Twilight Zone".  With a large focus on Dredd.  But make the show about EVERYTHING in this comic universe. Do stuff with ABC Warriors, focus on the Psi-Division, stuff like that.  Don't just center on Dredd. 

I think something like that would work really well.

SmallBlueThing

A show called 'Sector 13' could work- featuring the bendy women of the justice department, with dredd as one of their number- along with anderson and the start of psi division. Sort of law and order/ csi mega city one, crossed with the xfiles, etc.

SBT

SmallBlueThing

Men and women, not "bendy women". Argh! Phone!

SBT

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: vzzbux on 01 October, 2012, 02:18:10 PM

V

Fink and Ratty as muppets would be arsom
You may quote me on that.

orinAGN

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 01 October, 2012, 04:47:47 PM
A show called 'Sector 13' could work- featuring the bendy women of the justice department, with dredd as one of their number- along with anderson and the start of psi division. Sort of law and order/ csi mega city one, crossed with the xfiles, etc.

SBT

Sector 13... Isn't that "The Pit"?
That would make for a great story to see done as an adaptation.  Either in a later film or a TV production.

Stan

Now I can't stop thinking about leather-clad bendy women judges.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Richard

Sector 301 was The Pit. Sector 13 is Angeltown.

SmallBlueThing

Sector 13 is where Dredd is based out of in the movie. I assume it's a token nod towards precinct 13, where there may have been a n assault at one time or another.

SBT

CraveNoir

Quote from: SneakeeX on 01 October, 2012, 02:01:48 PM
Anyone find reactions from the production crew and studio in regards the box office numbers?
I'm sure everyone is gutted by the numbers and are keeping low key till the worldwide release is done.
Is Karl still on the promotion trail at the moment??

You don't really get reactions, and I'm sure no-one's saying anything until it's opened in all territories.
Urban is currently promoting the film in Australasia, then on to Japan. He is supposed to be publicising in Europe after that.