Main Menu

Comics Britania

Started by Scottiepunk, 20 July, 2008, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottiepunk

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else already, but did anyone else see this last night? All about Dandy and Beno featuring Kevin O'Neill. Next weeks about British Action comics. Hopefully 2000AD will get featured somewhere along the way.

Jim_Campbell

Honestly?

It's a horribly missed opportunity, offering no insights into the industry or the medium and -- most annoying of all -- you'd be forgiven for thinking that 2000AD ceased publication in the late 80s, so little is it mentioned in the context of the modern industry.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

COMMANDO FORCES

This was on BBC3 a while back and it was horrendous. You would think that Viz was the only British comic going at the moment the way this programme is put together :angry:

Peter Wolf

Yes i watched it.In the listings it said "New series" but it seems to be a repeat of the series that was shown a while ago.I am not sure but its a bit of a deception to list a series as "new' when its not.

It was interesting but i never read any of those comics that were featured.

will 2000ad get such an indepth focus that the Beano and the Dandy ?

DA IT.

Could we have 20 minutes only on 2000ad in next weeks [part 2] that barely even scratches the surface of its history and impact and characters and all the rest of it ?

"No problem ! "

Could we have a whole hour and the rest of the series devoted to the Infantile Viz comic where Squarehead  Ian Mcdonald goes over how he started from his bedroom and lots of voiceovers to his strips like Roger Mellie etc ?

"No problem ! "

Fuck Off

Morons

TV gets turned off.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Scottiepunk

Err, ok, fair enough, just thought I'd mention it, guess looking forward to 2000AD being mentioned next week is out then!!

Mardroid

If it is a repeat of the BBC3 comics thing, then 2000AD will definitely get a mention as I saw that episode. They didn't go into all that much depth (they had other comics to cover too), but didn't just skim over it either.

satchmo

It was on BBC4 last year, the first 2 episodes I really enjoyed, but the final part (with the 2000ad stuff) is appalling, misleading nonsense. Next weeks is worth a watch though!

IndigoPrime

Much better was the Phill Jupitus-narrated show about 2000 AD, complete with amusing Dredd voiceover.

Scottiepunk

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"Much better was the Phill Jupitus-narrated show about 2000 AD, complete with amusing Dredd voiceover.
?

satchmo

It was a half hour documentary about 2000AD on Radio 4, it was a lot of fun!

Scottiepunk

Ah, bugger, I missed that one then!!  :(

dweezil2

Remember the last time our favourite comic was featured on a prime time TV program? No? Me either. While the coverage of 2000ad next week is somewhat superficial, interviews with Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neil make this worth a watch and it does at least attempt to put 2000ad in some sort of social/historical context.
Maybe if the viewing figures are high enough we can expect a more in-depth documentary at some point, so it's definately worth supporting.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

radiator

Was looking forward to catching this on iPlayer, but it's not available for some reason.

Is the Channel 4 series SF:UK from a few years back available anywhere, online or otherwise? ISTR they had some good episodes on Dredd, 2000ad, Doctor Who and The Invisibles.

Scottiepunk

What episodes?

There are a few online as torrents if you just do a search on some of the torrent sites, but what episodes should I be looking for?

Scottiepunk

Answered my own question, it's episode 6, 5 is the one about psychedilic Dr Who, 6 is Ultra Violence featuring Clockwork Orange and 2000AD!