Main Menu

Reprint This:- UK Comics I'd Like To See Collected Editions Of

Started by seanharry, 03 March, 2019, 11:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanharry

There are quite a few British strips that sadle have not been collected into trade editions. This is a list of the comics that I would most like to have a collected edition for on my bookshelf. Hopefully Rebellion or Titan can help fill in a few of these gaps:-

Mind Wars
This strip appeared in Starlord from issue two, and ran until the final issue of the comic with a firm conclusion (hence it not crossing over to 2000ad along with Starlord and RoBusters). I think had it appeared in 2000AD it would be considered a classic, and Jesus Redondo's standing with readers would be a lot strong. A strong, adult story for this sci-fi epic and some truly fantastic artwork by Redondo, the fact that Rebellion have not collected it yet seems rather odd. Apparently David Roach owns most of the origional artwork, so if he lets Rebellion scan it all in, a really fantastic collection could be produced.

Laser Eraser & Pressbutton
First appearing in Sounds Magazine drawn by Alan Moore (yes, that Alan Moore), before moving onto Warrior with Steve Dillon producing some of his best art ever, this strip written by Steve Moore is brilliant, and it's a crime that it's never been collected. Brian Bolland, Gary Leach and Cam Kennedy provided the art for the back up strips, Zirk and Ektryn. Given all that amazing talent involved, I'm astonished that this has never been collected as a trade.

Third World War
I would love to reread this just to see how it holds up in todays political climate. I think it actually may be even more relevant. Originally appearing in Crisis, and featuring some mouth wateringly beautiful painted art by Ezquerra, writer Pat Mills does lay on the political commentary with a trowel. It is also remarkable similar to Martha Washington, which Miller and Gibbons produced after.

Night Zero
A real fun generic dystopian sci-fi action yarn from film critic John Brosnan with some solid art by Kev Hopgood. I find it peculiar that this hasn't been collected by Rebellion.

Outcasts
A 12 issue DC comic written by John Wagner and Alan Grant, with art by Cam Kennedy. American readers just didn't get it, but I suspect that British fans would lap it up. A lot of ideas from Judge Dredd get recycled in this, but that still doesn't stop it from being a lot of fun. It apparently wasn't a success, hence DC never collecting it. Can't they licence it to Rebellion?

The New Statesmen
I remember finding the plot to this impenetrable when I read it in Crisis. I suspect it will all make a lot more sense if I was to read it again in a collected edition. 2000ad's attempt at a Watchmen style deconstruction of the Superhero genre, with and added political slant. Great painted artwork by Jim Baikie and the new comer Sean Phillips.

The Driver
A love it or loathe it strip that appeared in Toxic! from David Leach and Jeremy Banx. This strip made me laugh out loud, though the final pages brought a tear to my eye.

Time Quake
Very much a case of great plots and art wrecked by a dismal, two dimensional central character. Jim Blocker was every bit as awful as his name suggests, a low rent Bill Savage, but the stories, particularly the second featuring time travelling Nazis, where great. One of Starlords lesser strips, but if stuff like Turbo Jones can get a collected edition, then there is no excuse for Rebellion not putting this out.

The Tower King
I remember when the Eagle was relaunched in the eighties, I was excited from a new sci-fi comic from the publishers of 2000AD. Sadly it was pretty juvenile, with horrible fumetti photo strips. However, there was one brilliant strip, that could easily have featured in 2000AD, and that was the post apocalyptic tale, The Tower King. Always dependable art by the late, legendary artist Jose Ortiz.

Finn
No idea why this has never been collected, or reappeared in 2000ad. Pat Mills says he has many more stories for the character. The follow on from Third World War, Mills manager to not quite hit you on the head with the politics this time, and keeps his fantastic humour throughout.

Rogue Trooper: Friday
OK, this was a mess. A dull story from Dave Gibbons, and even worse scripts from Michael Fleisher. but the art from Will Simpson and Ron Smith is gorgeous, and for that alone I'd like a collected edition.

The House Of Daemon
This is one that I have never read, which I regret. I stopped reading Eagle once The Tower King finished, and as a result I missed this tale, from John Wagner, Alan Grant and Jose Ortiz (the team who would later give us The Thirteenth Floor). I don't know if it is good or bad, but a horror strip from that team certainly has my interest.

Dan Dare
The revamped Eagle version of Dan Dare was written by John Wagner, Alan Grant and among the artists where Ian Kennedy. I only have fuzzy memories of it. But given the talent behind it I'd love to read it again.

Rose O'Rion / Tyranny Rex /  Synnamon
None have enough material for a collection, but the three could be put together for a collected edition showcasing strong female heroines from 2000ad.

Strontium Dog
OK, this is already available. However, when the strip first appeared in Starlord it featured painted artwork. When the strip moved to 2000ad, for a period the comic was printed on better quality paper, again allowing for paited art on the tale Strontiym Dog Goes To Hell. This has been repeatedly printed in black and white. I'd love to see a collected, hardcover edition along the lines of the Mek Files, which retain the origional colour of the strip.

Nick Jolly: The Flying Highwayman
I have never read this, but it sounds utterly bonkers, and the perfect vehicle for Ron Smiths talents. A 17th century highway man is transported into the 1970's by aliens just for the hell of it, and given futuristic weapons and a flying robot horse to battle supervillains and get into scraps with the police. Add that Dave Gibbons was the fill in artist when Ron got behind, and this makes for a comic that I'd love to see.

dweezil2

I believe, If I remember correctly, Pat Mills said on his Twitter feed that both Crisis and Finn are getting a release from Rebellion somewhere down the line!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

seanharry

Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 March, 2019, 11:44:01 PM
I believe, If I remember correctly, Pat Mills said on his Twitter feed that both Crisis and Finn are getting a release from Rebellion somewhere down the line!  :thumbsup:

Brilliant!

dweezil2

Quote from: seanharry on 03 March, 2019, 11:46:04 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 March, 2019, 11:44:01 PM

Brilliant!

Yeah, can't wait either!!! 👍🙂
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Professor Bear

Hibernia have published softcover collections of The Tower King and House Of Daemon, but you'd have to check their website for availability.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: seanharry on 03 March, 2019, 11:36:59 PM
Strontium Dog...hardcover edition along the lines of the Mek Files, which retain the origional colour of the strip.

Yes please!! I would buy this in a heartbeat. Please Tharg?? I'd be willing to pay Pounds, USD or Galactic Groats! (or all the above - take my money!)

Colin YNWA

There are quite a few British strips that sadle have not been collected into trade editions. This is a list of the comics that I would most like to have a collected edition for on my bookshelf. Hopefully Rebellion or Titan can help fill in a few of these gaps:-

Mind Wars
This strip appeared in Starlord from issue two, and ran until the final issue of the comic with a firm conclusion (hence it not crossing over to 2000ad along with Starlord and RoBusters). I think had it appeared in 2000AD it would be considered a classic, and Jesus Redondo's standing with readers would be a lot strong. A strong, adult story for this sci-fi epic and some truly fantastic artwork by Redondo, the fact that Rebellion have not collected it yet seems rather odd. Apparently David Roach owns most of the origional artwork, so if he lets Rebellion scan it all in, a really fantastic collection could be produced.

Mind Wars has been solicited at the floppie in Meg 408.

CalHab

Rogue Trooper: Friday
OK, this was a mess. A dull story from Dave Gibbons, and even worse scripts from Michael Fleisher. but the art from Will Simpson and Ron Smith is gorgeous, and for that alone I'd like a collected edition.

The Gibbons/Simpson War Machine story that introduced Friday and a couple of the Fleisher stories with art by Dillon and Walker are already collected in War Machine:
https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels/rogue-trooper/GRN471

I'm a bit of a fan of War Machine. It's very much of it's time, but it's a good piece. The Fleisher stuff, not so much, and I'd be very surprised if Rebellion has any plans to collect these. Maybe in a Meg floppy for the Ron Smith artwork alone?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'd love to see complete reprints of The Spider and Rat Trap. Obviously, the Most Desired would be Doomlord- but I understand that's still under the control of the Dan Bloody Dare Corporation and unlikely to see print this side of the apocalypse (or Brexit, whichever comes first). A vote for The Driver here too.
Before all of that though, Sinister Dexter from the top, and complete.

SBT

broodblik

We can only dream of a proper complete collection of Doomlord. I believe world peace will be achieved first.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

From your list, the Megazine floppy is your friend!
Check Wikipedia for a full list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd_Megazine#Reprints

As well as those mentioned above, Night Zero has had its day (Meg 338); Beyond Zero has had a reprint, too, although they've yet to do Below Zero - presumably because it's too long to fit into one floppy, and not really good enough to fit across two with a secondary story.

Rose O'Rion was with Meg 354
Synnamon with Meg 368 and 369
+ the first (and best) two books of Finn (Megs 329 + 361)

Tyranny Rex has had some stories collected, but of all your list this is the 2000AD strip for me that most wants a proper trade collection! She's a super cool character whose history was kind of hidden away in too many specials.

Here, let me Hachette that for you...
Tyranny Rex
Under Foreign Skies
Strips from the 1988 and 1989 SciFi Specials
Strip from the 1989 Winter Special
Soft Bodies
Fervent & Lobe strip from the 1990 SciFi special
Fervent & Lobe: Issigri Variations
Almaranda: Solstice
Deus Ex Machina
The Comeback
Strip from the 2018 SciFi Special

-That's 250 pages already, and you could add various covers and pin-ups, not to mention at least 4 text stories if you were so inclined.

seanharry

People mentioning the magazine floppies to me.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the flopies.

I am after a nice trade, preferably in hardback, that can then go nicely on my bookshelf.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: seanharry on 04 March, 2019, 01:32:06 PM
People mentioning the magazine floppies to me.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the flopies.

I am after a nice trade, preferably in hardback, that can then go nicely on my bookshelf.

Fairly unlikely that you'll get a hardback if it's been/being reprinted in the floppies, though. You could get the floppies in question (which usually have fairly decent repro) and get them bound yourself...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

seanharry

Quote from: Professor Bear on 04 March, 2019, 01:49:23 AM
Hibernia have published softcover collections of The Tower King and House Of Daemon, but you'd have to check their website for availability.

A very limited print run of 200 that I sadly missed out on.

seanharry

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 04 March, 2019, 09:25:04 AM
I'd love to see complete reprints of The Spider and Rat Trap. Obviously, the Most Desired would be Doomlord- but I understand that's still under the control of the Dan Bloody Dare Corporation and unlikely to see print this side of the apocalypse (or Brexit, whichever comes first). A vote for The Driver here too.
Before all of that though, Sinister Dexter from the top, and complete.

SBT

Hibernia Comics still have copies of the collected Doomlord available.
http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/store/products/doomlord-the-deathlords-of-nox/

The Dan Dare Corporation has liscened properties out to Rebellion, Hibernia and Titan in the past for reprints. Rebellion have so much material that they own the copyright to still to print, they probably have to interest in reprinting a liscenced property. But maybe Titan or Hibernia?