1424 Stone Cold Crazy

Started by ukdane, 01 February, 2005, 01:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

Stone Cold Brillian!

What a prog!

I'd give it 9/10!

Droid Life- ACE! 9/10

Dredd- Best Dredd I've read in ages. Top marks to Rennie for the script. Using Guthrie. Using Dane-Tech! Making use of the Mark II Lawgiver- and Tek-Div's failure to create an effective Stun function. Tighter Boots Gag. Guthrie looking more and more like Ezquerra! My only niggles are that when Howard Wootkins get's brain-splattered- he looks a little too muck like Lobster Random, and on the first page, Dredd looks 8 foot tall, compared to Guthrie (I'll put it down to perspective) 9?/10

Second City Blues- Pleece's artwork inproves again this week (I think it might be aided by the colouring). I think the story moves on in bounds this week too. 7?/10

Slaine- So close to death. Narative and fighting blend well. Full frontal nudity (that works- unlike the gratuity that was Valkyries- that'll get them arguing!)
Medusa effect. Looking forward to seeing what might (or might not) happen next week. Be fab if he died- totally unexpected, but somehow I doubt it. And WEHT Ukko? 8/10

Cab Inc,- so Who's the kid? (seriously, let me know as it could effect the FF scores this week) Bit of let down this week, until the last page. Which leads nicely into a new story (unless I've missed something). And can someone confirm, that is Tom Baker on the last page, refering to Dr. Who as Tosh wasn't it? 8/10

Nikolai Dante- Enjoyed this too. Plenty of action, and the story moves on. (Dinosaurs too- I dare Morrison to bring that T Rex back, with one-eye, and call it Old One Eye!). Plenty of Crest interactibity too. 8?/10

Cover- Suited the prog quite well, 7?-10.

BUT for overall entertainment value, I give the prog 9/10 when I put it down, I felt truely Thrilled!

Letters from Logan, Spink, Kermode and Goggans this week too. So cudos to them, and once again to Rennie for the top notch Dredd tale.  

How am I gonna come down off this high?
Cheers

-Daney

Martin Jameson

Bico

I thought this was a thread about the wrestler going tonto and beating up another girlfriend.  Sorry.

feridian

No, haven't got mine yet either. First time my prog has been late since I started subbing.

House of Usher

Yes!!! Early Prog for me this week! Mwuh-ha-ha-ha-haaaah!!!!!

Dredd not bad - always nice to see a story drawn by Carl Critchlow, and the situation made sense.

Second City Blues - has earned its place in the Prog, and is certainly no worse than Slaine or Nikolai Dante. Actually, it's a lot more readable than Slaine.

Slaine - ghastly, murky, unreadable gibberish.

Caballistics Inc. - the best thing in this Prog. That kid, by the way, is Ethan Kostabi. Haven't you been paying attention, UK Dane?

Nikolai Dante - I think this was better when there was all that intrigue and war and family feuding between the Romanovs and the Makarovs. The biotech monster seems to have a Ray Harryhausen fixation and a sense of humour, turning itself into a tyrannosaurus and then a giant scorpion. Next it should turn into a cyclops, a giant squid or a gryphon. The story doesn't seem to be taking itself seriously. Are readers just supposed to accept it and go along with it?

Overall, I'd give it 7/10. (and Tharg can quote that on the cover if he likes!)
STRIKE !!!

Grant Goggans

Still clearly in last place in Fantasy Football, but I have another letter in!  Some's good, some's not.  :-D

--Grant

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

WoD

opaque

the3rdman

came on here to find out if anyone got their prog yet cos mines not arrived.........

question answered !

IndigoPrime

I think I agree with most of that. The latest Dante arc is surprisingly iffy, although that perhaps comes from the gradual build-up to the excellent war story, and subsequent "back to normal" thing going on. Still, Dante was supposed to be finite, so there may be surprises to come.

Dredd was good?I'm very glad the writers and editor have decided to actually follow up on a major story, rather than just immediately reverting MC1 to the status quo, as is so often the case.

SCB and Cabs, I'm waiting until they've complete their runs, whereupon I read the whole thing in one sitting.

Slaine was the real surprise?it's actually not too bad, even if it does still read like a remix or cover version. As for the nudity, I didn't even notice it, which is the obvious difference between this art and that of Valkyries.

The cover was, in my opinion, a bit iffy, however. And I really wish they'd stop covering up bits of the logo. It's not big and it's not clever; more importantly, it dilutes the brand.

Proudhuff

Goat mine! Baaah!

Cover Nice but there's something static about her face...

P14 giggle

Dredd Yes! Yes! Yes! the only thing is has it been 3 months since Total War? old age is creeping up fast on old Huffy. Thought Old Stoney Face would have something to say about that facial hair. Nice touches through out,next Dredd fanzine should be called 'Tighter Boots'

2nd blues sorry given up on this and Slaine I think old Thargy should ban the use of brown paint in 2000ad, this looks like that Dino-sty.

Cabal Inc thats more like it,

Dante, oh dear, lets just walk away quietly

Input: Logan lest we forget.

Huffy the homeburd

DDT did a job on me

WoD

Slaine...you've shot your last bolt...that about sums it up for me.

Proudhuff

Slaine...you've shot your last bolt...

I think perhaps this story is reflecting 'a certain someone's life', we should perhaps look on this story as therapy, he is no longer the laughter in the woods, maybe we could get him on the group hug thread

Dr JungHuff
DDT did a job on me

WoD