Main Menu

1424 Stone Cold Crazy

Started by ukdane, 01 February, 2005, 01:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

And so to my comments...

Judge Dredd Another good story arising out of the aftermath of the Total War storyline.

Second City Blues Still not getting into this story, I'm afraid. Readable, but not gripping.

Slaine This story hasn't turned out as I expected. From this point, it doesn't look like this Pagan goddess has got much going for her (except for the obvious, of course!) To say that she is fickle is an understatement. Siding with the forces of evil simply because she is "bored" hardly seems to be a great advertisement for bring in additional worshippers, even in upside down world. If I were Slaine and was comfronted with such a deity, I wouldn't be too impressed...

Caballistics Inc. Another story I'm having difficulty with. It's all a bit too weird for me. And what's Tom Baker doing at the end of this episode? Are they trying to link the series with Doctor Who as they tried before? The last page doesn't seem to have any connection with the rest of the story at all.

Nikolai Dante In my opinion, the second best story in this prog. An exciting story with great art.

Dudley

Is this a tie-breaker competition?

"If Pat Mills had written this week's Caballistics... "

it would have had a lot more words.

The Amstor Computer

"Caballistics Inc. Another story I'm having difficulty with. It's all a bit too weird for me. And what's Tom Baker doing at the end of this episode? Are they trying to link the series with Doctor Who as they tried before? The last page doesn't seem to have any connection with the rest of the story at all."

Don't see why this should cause such a problem, as it's really very simple.

The final page is, if you like, a trailer for the next storyline. The current story, "Safe House" concluded partly in last weeks episode and partly in this new one. The final page is simply a scene to establish where Cabs are headed next, and a hint of what they're going to face. It's the comic equivalent of the kind of scene you get at the end of an ongoing TV series.

Tom Baker appearing as a drunken actor is just a little joke to savvy readers. I don't think there's any real intention to link Cabs to Dr Who - it's just another layer for attentive readers, and you could quite happily ignore it and still get the thrust of the scene (that the actor is a bit of a drunk lovie, who used to act in some sci-fi show)

House of Usher

it's just another layer for attentive readers, and you could quite happily ignore it and still get the thrust of the scene (that the actor is a bit of a drunk lovie, who used to act in some sci-fi show)

...a sci-fi show that is presumably something other than Doctor Who. Yetis in the London underground provide reasonable grounds to suppose that the TV series Doctor Who doesn't exist in the Caballistics Inc world. Apparently, neither does Monarch of the Glen.
STRIKE !!!

Bolt-01

SCB: Loved the Wolves! Are they playing in the Molineux? And the colourscheme was good too.

I'm enjoying it rather more than some though

Bolt-01

paulvonscott

Oddboy

Or... the Dr Who series that gets broadcast to TVs in the CabInc universe is "based on true events".
Better set your phaser to stun.

Dunk!

Prog OK.

Letters page: Jeez, chill out.
"Trust we"

Krustabi

Somewhat lacklustre prog this week:

Cover - Nice, nothing special

Dredd - As far as "Dredd goes into Cursed Earth to apprehend someone" stoires go this was a good 'un, the ending was good, it could so very easily of been mawkish, but top marks to Rennie for preventing this.

SCB - Still worth reading for Pleece's art, although I expect that if Kek-W was hoping to hit the big time with this one he'll be sorely disapointed.

Slaine - I live in fear of the next episode, he'll probably escape death in the most deus ex machinatastic solution of all time, and the kiddy murdering was too ineptly handled to be offensive, which that type of thing usually is.

Cab Inc. - Somewhat of an anticlimax, going from an Angel of Death to an enemy who they've already faced, and the "solution" seemed rushed (shouldn't she of loaded those shells as soon as she sees a Golem?)

Dante - If you get a degree in shark-jumping, this episode would be the main text. The next story really needs to be something special to stop a complete loss of momentum.

Droid Life - Forgettable, not bad, just, forgettable.

Input: Meh.

Overall 6/10 (without Dredd it would of been lower)

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

House of Usher

There was a lot of smoke about. Or gravy. You have to squint like one of those 3D Magic Eye pictures.
STRIKE !!!

IndigoPrime

:: Is this a tie-breaker competition?
:: "If Pat Mills had written this week's Caballistics... "
:: it would have had a lot more words.

"If Pat Mills had written this week's Caballistics... "

... it would have been rubbish.

Lord Running Clam

Do you think we will find out what the rock star released in Caballistics,Inc at some point in the future.

The Amstor Computer

Heh... take a look at the Kostabi thread, Clam :-)

opaque

Cover: Didn't know it was cabalistics, be interesting to see the normal strip in colour
Never 100% sure of Simon Davis's art but this is good

Droid Life - Very good!

Judge Dredd - Great way to continue continuity with TW, thats what I want from a major storyline.

Second City Blues - Not bad. Need to see where it's going though. Thinking against past futuresport games we've had in 2000ad this doesn't look great but maybe the sci-fi element will help?

Slaine: Oh dear oh dear. You can't see anything, the story, what story? It should have been put down a long time ago. Did I miss my free tab of acid to help make sense of it? It's beautiful art but belongs on a book cover or poster not being used like this. Seriously Slaine was better in black and white.

Cabalistics: Starting to lose me again after a few weeks of interest.

Nikoli Dante: Now wheres this actually going? Using the crest as a cheap narrator is starting to grate. Really think John Burns artwork isn't helping me either. Can we get back to the family feud/political/seeing the world type stuff again please?