Main Menu

1339 - Bad to Verse.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 06 May, 2003, 03:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

sooo dylan makes up for the middenface wall then (didn't anyone notice that all the names in the background are pretty much those who didn't get a name check in the young middenface story.

Oddboy

Yer "diGriz" Slippo cheated by changing his name to get into both!!

Crafty!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

Orsetastic! I'm on the wall!

Dom-2

hmm...
 I just got home after a long night out, read this thread and literally had to go out into the street to find out which side the steering weel is on... during this investigation I accidentally kicked over a dustbin and woke my flatmate... boy do I feel stupid...
 'unfamiliarity with such human concepts as cars, books and spelling! :)'
 Yep... fair play...you got me on all three accounts...
 ...as far as being similarly possesed to Jenny, here's a funny thing:
 Whilst designing Demon Jenny's first major appearence (where she attacks Critchley) I suddenly had a spontanious and dramatic nosebleed and covered my designs in my own blood... strange but true...

Devons Daddy

top prog again

DREDD. great stuff. but has the rookie already failed himself. no judge is ever above the law.
i feel his statement will be back to haunt him.
art superb. such clean lines and details.truly capturing all that is the vile underbelly that is mega city.what about the reflection in the broken judges visor . such power.

Cabal. very good , as always. nice character building going on. this is a winner, perfect art as well for the style of the script.

ABC warriors. enjoyed it. but Mek quake getting all clever? not sure but still a great romp. old skool art style.a winner.MR Mills good to see you return to form here.

Snow Tiger. for me still a top thrill. a rollcoaster of a ride,with non stop action.hope it does not end up to rushed. with such potentail for deep underlying back story. great stuff. enjoying every moment of it.ART agian excellent really enjoying this sharp style.

Interceptor, good with a decent biuld up, this tale is shaping up nicely.good depth being added with simple lines in the conversations of supporting characters.

OVERALL
brillant. 2000ad at its thrill powered best. thumping good scripts lovely art,beautiful mix of old thrills and new. great balance of characters action and storys.
and
DEVONS DADDY DINER.
THANKYOU ,
What a moment of TOTAL PRIDE.i really feel specail.
showed my son.DEVON (6 years old) he is very impressed.

in all. we are enjoying our second golden age.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Trout

Your mighty ruler does not appear to be on the wall, but it's a damn fine prog regardless.

Tharg: MORE!

- Trout

Capt.Zeep

Trout, you're there by proxy couretesy of the "O.T.E" suffix on Karne's name ;)

damnandblast

"Cakes have layers!"

No no no! Ogres have layers.

Am I the only one who finds the cover of Meg 206 slightly risque, or do I have the filthiest mind here? Not complaining, you understand - merely observing!

Nigel

(I'll now go and read the rest of the board for the first time in weeks and no doubt find that this is a major topic of conversation elsewhere)

The Monarch

I thought it was onions but i digress

paulvonscott

I've worked out the elements of Morrison's Dredd from the two stories I know, bugging me.

We are used to seeing problems of the 20th century through the filter of 23rd century mega city life.  Morrison tends to just transplant those problems straight into mega city, just as they are, e.g heroin.

It's not right, it's not wrong, but when we were talking about umpty sweets and sugar dealers, we all knew what the subtext was.

There's no reason why peopls shouldn't tackle dredd in their own way, but it misses out on the atmosphere sometimes.  You could take those scenes straight out of Dredd and stick them in the bendatti vendetta and nobody would notice, you couldn't do the same with uncle umpty and the like because they are unique to mega city, a fairly unique place.

GordonR

Reardon, you fool.  Now you've gone and ruined my intention to reveal in a later story that the strip's set in a bizarro type alternative universe where steering wheels and book titles are on the wrong side and some words are spelled differently.

JamieB

I'm pretty sure it's deliberately risque, yeah. After all, isn't Colin going for a Tom of Finland, er, "vibe" in this series?

J-Bo-1

Smiley

and some words are spelled differently.

And get mysteriously corrected between progs, too. Spooky!

Banners

Am intrigued by...

Robbie Morrison once again uses rape as a threat - The number of times hes used it has gone beyond distasteful now.

Not sure I can remember other specific instances off-hand, but am sure rape has been alluded to in "Dante". Sure, it's a nasty subject, but how can addressing it be considered "distasteful"?

The situation in this week's Dredd - by far the best single JD episode I have read in a long time - is only very vaguely alluded to, fits the dark, nasty atmosphere that's the strip has previosuly established. It sets a tone, it works.

Someone above has suggested Robbie's Dredd addresses modern-day issues without allegory. I'm all for it. Arguably, the audience has moved far beyond "Uncle Umpty" metaphors.

To my mind, Robbie Morrison is the best writer 2000AD has had since Milligan. He has so masterfully explored the entire range of human emotion within Dante, that I'm quite happy to trust his judgement now.

You want something distasteful? A gloriously-rendered scene of Moloch violating a dying Niamh - I would suggest that's the prime candidate.

M@

damnandblast

"I thought it was onions..."

Onions AND ogres. Watch Shrek!

"...but i digress"

Don't we all?

Nigel