Main Menu

Started by Matt Timson, 13 October, 2003, 04:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old, but...

s

p

o

i

l

r

s

That whole bit in Dredd this week- with the kid's head coming off.  I dunno- it just seemed a bit... much.

I know it's probably a bit silly, but it wouldn't have seemed nearly so bad had it been an adult.  I totally got that it had to be a pretty recognisable wound so that we knew it was the same character later on (and the floating head bit *did* look pretty creepy)- but it was still a bit visually harsh in my book- and I've drawn some disturbing stuff in my time!

Anybody else- or am I just being an old woman this morning?

Matt
Pffft...

Leigh S

Havent read it yet, but is that cover paper stock better?

Leigh S

And the extra four pages are back - hooray!  How long this time?  And how do us people who are already subscribers get the fridge magnets?

The Monarch

lets get to the nitty gritty that synnamon thing from the creators of that b word crap or good?

Slippery PD

OK here goes....

Dredd - It was OK.  It was a little violent in places (see JEBs comments) and was rather throwaway.

Dead Man Walking - his was like a Harry Twenty but with a woman.  Well thats what it reminded me of.  Not necessarily a bad thing.

Synannamon - Not a bad start at all.  Arts very nice.

Durham Red - Never been a big fan, but the arts great (as usual).

Overall, a reasonable start call it 6 out of 10.  Its hard when a whole new set of stories starts, it just means there is nothing left over to maintain interest from any of the previous progs.

yer slips

petemaskreplica

Spoilers an that....

Strangely, the kid bothered me less than the two bullets through the eyes. So maybe that makes two old women here this morning. This was an odd Dredd, I can't decide if I liked it or not. It had some uncomfortable resonances for me which I'm not going to go into here.

Dead Men Walking: yeah, like slips said, rather unfortunate that this makes its entrance while Harry 20's running in the Meg. But quite a promising opener, this was my favourite story this week I think. Ha! Archer gets an anal probe!

I suspect Synnamon may turn out to be a good cop in a bad world :) Then again, she seems to be handy in a fight and has some kind of computer-voice sidekick thing, so maybe she's the female M.A.C.H. 1... I can't say this really grabbed me, but neither did I immediately take against it. Too soon to tell, really.

And the same goes for Durham Red, really. Wait and see.

Overall, slightly underwhelmed this week, although there was nothing there I really hated, and the art was all pretty good. Still, Caballistics is back next week, so that's something to look forward to.

Matt Timson

Shut up, you old woman...

;)
Pffft...

JTurner

Dredd.
A major question. Is this spate of Dredd with a supernatural theme going to become the standard, or is it to do with the Dredd vs Death theme that's in vogue for obvious reasons? Because Dredd is not about the undead or zombies. Death and co never struck me as sandard supernatural characters, but this story just grated horribly for me. Utter piffle.

Dead Men Walking.
Liked the Jeffery Archer reference. But it just felt like filler. I'll have to stick this one out.

Synnamon.
Hate the name, and that space age sex kitten in lycra pose just looked SHITE. It's better than Bison, though, and I liked the concept of a self contained opening episode. This story could well shape up, but comparrisons to Rose Orion (was that her name?) will dog it.

Durham Red.
Where the feck is the art? The scarlet cantos and Glimmer Rats were perhaps too CG heavy, but I thought that a good balance had been struck with the Vermin Stars. But I am not happy with this almost purely painted episdode. It's good, but it's lost the richness of the previous stories.

Overall.
From Grace, Leviathan, Johnny Alpha, Slaine? The Autumn offensive suffers from a lack of either any REALLY innovative new ideas, or any real heavyweight blasts from the past. I am a little dissapointed, but I hope the new stuff will grow on me like a strange fungus. Dredd was shite, though, wasn't it?

Will I. Cooling

I really hope its not as bad as it sounds as I'm probably (fingers crossed) going to review this as the first prog in my "make yanks read 2000ad" campagin.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Quirkafleeg

Head! Head! Eyes! Nevermind that, what about that chin! Chintastic!

nobodyUK

Hello all! For those who remember me, I'm the guy who posted a couple months back and was a complete newbie to 'AD. Well I'm back, and what can I say? I've been frickin' addicted ever since my first issue (1350)! So here are my thoughts on this week's prog...

Dredd - Hmm. Not as bad as some of you've been claiming. A decent throw-away action filler, and a violent one at that. Overall, good, as far as one-offs go.

Dead Men Walking - Probably my favourite new story. I liked (most) of the art, and the story doesn't sound too bad either. Promising.

Synnamon - Didn't really like it. Perhaps it'll get better in future issues.

'Scared Yet?' ad - Oooh, big full page advert goodness just for new strip Caballistics, Inc.
Looks promising.

Durham Red: TES - Another highlight of this week's prog. I liked it.

Overall: 8/10

Banners

I'm a little confused about the negative response to this week's Dredd. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but to my mind it's something of a mini-masterpiece and one of the best I've even read.

Not so much a literal story, but a poignant poem with a stinging ending that resonates far from the mere page. The switch between the two realities is superbly done in its subtlety and really helps the story's significant impact resonate.

Great stuff, Mr Wagner!

M@

Mangamax

Bit of a pisser that - the 2 best magnets are the ones we can't have...
Will we be able to get them at Dreddcon?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Oddboy

Yeah, I liked the Dredd.  There was a real SRM* in there, which is good.
The "Watch that juve-!" moment I thought was a brilliantly funny moment (yes you oldies are just being grumpy!)

Great that the 'bumper' size is back, those extra pages really make a difference.

Dead Men Walking - had a very The Scrap feel to it ("Vucking" "Shiv" etc, and Boo's art is a very similar style to Richard Elson's).  Enjoyable, but the Harry 20ness is very obvious.

Synnamon - was okay...it was quite like the bit before the music in a Bond movie - a quick taster adventure to introduce.  The talking spaceship sidekick could've been explained a bit better but I guess we'll pick it up soon enough.  Fat guy had a magic waistcoat - disappears & reappears in a second!

Tell me that's not next week's cover - JUST SAY NO TO PHOTOCOVERS.

Red - The Empty Suns - Book 1??? I thought this was part 3 of a Trilogy and they're breaking it down EVEN MORE?? Gah! But as I've ranted about poorly defined Books before I'll leave it for now. Perhaps it really deserves to be considered a trilogy within a trilogy?
Art was a little lacklustre compared to the previous Vermin Stars art.
Plus the 10 page episode should have been edited into 5 pages because really not much happens and what does is pretty bizarre & not really helpful.
Bah.

Overall - Still lacking the Oomph that a 5 story prog has, but otherwise good, hope Durham picks up a bit & hope Synammon retains my interest, but happy with Dead Men Walking & looking forward to Cabbyinks next week.

* = Sudden Realisation Moment...see the article in Gavin's 2000ADreview site.
Better set your phaser to stun.

zep

i agree, johnnyeyebrows the dredd was great. the art was amazing and the whole story was witty and brilliantly done. the rest of you shud be quiet in your nursing homes.

the rest of the comic, hmmmm. very dissappointed.