Main Menu

Started by Matt Timson, 13 October, 2003, 04:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Oh no! Synnamon was just a futuristic version of the 'No One Lives Forever' computer game. The pose in front of the airlock is swiped straight from the game. Pants.

Mangamax

Loved Dead Men Walking but don't know if its the top thrill this week as i've only read that and Dredd so far - and, yes, i'm an old woman - that kid-coming-off was a bit much. No probs with the eyeballs though.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

ukdane

For me, this week's prog has been a real mix'n'match.

Hmmm! Now, where to start...

...The price is still the same :-)
The cover paper is thicker :-)
Not sure I like the cover image itself. It's not the girls, but Tharg's mug shot that puts me off. He looks strange. :-(

IFC Nothing new/special :-|

Back Cover: The other ? of the thick paper :-)
Advert for Dreddvs Death Game :-)

IBC: Input Page- Yeay :-) :-)
but what of it's content? Two points here:
1) The poor winner of the letter of the week is (at the top of the letter) awarded an audio CD, only later to be told by hte mighty one that he will instead be getting a mouse mat- poor bloke- make your mind up Tharg!!!
2) What's this about Irving doing Terror Tales in Metal Hammer? Why hasn't this been advertised (on this site for example), and can we be absolutely sure that these tt's weren't destined for this prog, only to be muddled up at the printers with the "rock advert" that appears elsewhere in this prog???? :-(

Talking of covers, whilst I don't like photocovers, for 2000ad, I think that the (probable) cover by Clin Langley is great. In fact, he's been my surprise cover artist find of the year!

Dredd: Like the story, like the artwork. Agree that Dredd tales need to draw away from the supernatural. :-)

Forbidden Planet Ad: Do they even stock 2000ad anymore???? :-(

Metal concert date Ad: Er as mentioned elsewhere YUCK, shouldn't this be in Metal Hammer? :-(

Dead Men Walking: Agree, this reads at the moment like Harry 20. Look forward to seeign where this goes. Anyone else spot Karn's namecheck on the ship? Not sure I like the use of The Scrap's swearwords either type the real think or don't *$@!**& bother! Nice artwork, and good to see the groovy looking alien getting his eyes poked out, and another get shot so early- go Jude! :-)

Subs ad: Cool (I'm a fan of 2000ad slef promotion) but those magnets should be available to EVERYONE! I Like the new Mean Magnet :-)

Synnamon: I thought this was a pretty good intro to the new character. Not 100% sure where this is going to go though, as this read like a stand alone tale, with the last page tacked on. The artwork was good in place, but in other places wasn't quite to my taste- but as long as the story stays strong, it might keep me interested enough for the artwork to grow on me. :-)

PlayJam Ad: Eh, what's this? Another game by the people that are releasing DvD (Vivendi Universal) Shame I'll never get to play it, as it's seems it's only playable through your Sky Remote (or can I play via PC?) Also noted Rebellion calling themsleves Rebellion A/S for the US, is this related to the Danish Rebellion rumours???? :-|

Next Iss: Nice cover, return of Cab Inc will please many- I'm still undecided :-)

Durham Red: I like the artwork, I find it much clearer than earlier Red stories, and Glimmer Rats. I though Durham died at the end of the last story, that combined with the last two pages confussed the hell out of me. Anyone care to explain what's going on? I noticed Harrison's signature dated the arwork as 2002, hopefully this means that we won't have a huge wait until Book 2 (yet another strip that appears to have been broken down into smaller books Gagh!) :-)

Over all: A mixed bag, of :-) and :-( with a few :-| along the way.

:-)

Cheers

-Daney

ukdane

I forgot to mention the extra page count.
Hope they stay,even if it means the Metal Ad's have to stay to pay for the other pages :-)
Cheers

-Daney

test 4 echo

that line...your a big man but your out of shape...that sound familiar to anyone else?

frazer

DavidXBrunt

Get him yourself.

SmallBlueThing

Here is wot I thunk.

Cover: Bleuh. Bland and mimsy. And Tharg doesn't look like Tharg. And her from Dead Men Walking doesn't look like her from Dead Men Walking. Where's the scars?

Dredd: Bleuh. Never an admirer of the Ormston droid, and the story was uninvolving. Kid dying was highlight- if only because it got a reaction from me. As James Herbert stopped writing stories where kids die after becoming a father, so my newfound fatherhood means I am more acutely aware of how nasty the scene was. Glad it was in there, as it was the only thing that stands out, but I didn't like it. (Similarly *the* scene from Muriel Gray's 'Furnace'... ARGH! But fantastic book)

Dead Men Walking: Not sure. As said, unfortunate to have two prison-dramas running side-by-side, but this was okay. I fully expected to hate it, and didn't. On the DrX Scale that means it scores +50 (expectation 10%, actuality 60%).

Synnamon (or whatever): Bleuh. Is it Dante with tits crossed with, erm, Bison and Rose O'Rion (or whatever)? I think it may be. Not as unreadable as Atavar, The Scrap or that thing drawn by Colin MacNeil- er, Vanguard?- but not very inspiring.

Durham Red: What? Eh? Who? When? Where? Eh? help! Lots of pages of meaningless piffle that made NO sense to me. Two Durham Reds was it? What? I obviously haven't been paying attention have I? And why isn't Simon Harrison doing cool things with a computer anymore? It looked flat and grey, read like it was deliberately trying to piss me off, and offered me know reward other than a painful scalp from all the scratching. Bleuh.

Nerve Centre: YAY!

Hang on. Terror tales in some metal mag? What? Have I missed some announcement on that? Tharg had better collect them for mass non-hairy consumption soon then. Not impressed.

And I don't want to renew my subs til at least next may... does that mean I can't have those fridge magnets?

I was all happy when the prog plopped through the door along with the 30th anniv Fortean Times this morning. Now I'm all niggly. Bah. Thanks, Tharg mate.

Steev

Mudcrab

Hmm, review time

Cover, not great but didn't it feel nice and smooth (and for anyone who knows Zapp Brannigan, like a velvet child)

Dredd: I liked this. Very different, very strange, excellent art, like Judgment Day revisited. As for the head thing, who knows, might encourage someone to slow down when they drive past a school or something. Public service announcement extraordinaire.

Prison thing. Catching up on Megazines just now so just started Harry 20. Damn them! Those were starving! I'm mighty annoyed. But yeah, shaping up nicely

Caballistics ad: superb! Almost Silent Hill-ish?

Synammon (sp?): Hmm, dodgy pose indeed (anyone seen Secretary?). Not bad, plenty action but you know...

Red: Not as good as past like many above have said. Intrigued though, D looks well mean in the last frame.

Too many adverts!

But that cover paper, mmmm. It's like Meg207. You know, the 'olde booke' look that looked rough but was actually reaally smoooth.

2000ad. Sci Fi in a silky smooth wrapper.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

paulvonscott

Yes, he said it to Alf Roberts

Waddie

Spoilers

Cover: A bit naff, really.

Dredd: I liked it.  I think we need reminding now and then that Mega City One is an unpleasant place to live.

Dead Men Walking: S'okay.  It looks nice anyway, and there are worse things to be compared with than Harry Twenty.

Synnamon: Synnamon has a stupid name, but don't forget she's "sexy".  She must be, it says so in the editorial, and she wears a tight shiny suit, and then there's the bit in the bath.  That's sexy, see.

I can't believe there are six people working on it apparently without a single original idea between them.

Durham Red: I didn't follow this too well, so I'll wait and see.  The mirage suit thing was cool.

Dudley

Dredd - flat tale, could have been told in 1 page because it's only the "twist" that really makes it stand out.  Ormston's art (as I predicted on first sight of it a couple of months ago) has degenerated - why bother developing your own instantly recognisable style and then slowly change it into a mutant cross between Heavy Metal-era Bisley & Siku?  If the writing had been a bit more lyrical I might have liked this story, but as it is I know I'll just instantly FAF.

Dead Men Walking.  Like the Archer bit, definitely want to read more of it.  Is the twist going to be that when prisoners get shot they are resurrected and put to work as prison guards, something like that?  Dead...Walking & Lazarus are a bit obvious if so.  Don't like the language, but it has got me waiting for phrases like "you stupid VUNT", "he's such a vickhead", or even "I'm gonna vodding cut your vock off, you mothervucking vastard".

Synnamon - Nothing to say about this yet.  Don't have a good feeling - reminds me of Vanguard in that I'm willing to bet all the ingredients are there but it doesn't add up to much of a whole.

Durham Red - This looks good.  However, I struggle to understand why, given 2000ad's long history of boasting that characters can die, unlike US comics, we are now into so many "she's dead - NO SHE ISN'T" storylines.  Slaine, Avatar, Slaine, Rogue Trooper, Slaine, Angel Gang, Slaine, ABC Warriors, Slaine... just let the bastards die already.

Caballistics photocover, nonononononooo...BUT at leats this one actually looks like the character as opposed to something you'd see in either Loaded (Durham Red cover) or Viz (Judge Dredd photocovers)...

Letters - Lots of people slagging off Slaine, and even the one that's praising it is actually only praising Langley.  Pat Mills = Francis Ford Coppola.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the onward progress of this lot.

Dudley

Sorry, Pat Mills = John Carpenter

The Monarch

let the anti-synamon league begin...

David "will be showing up with a hunt down the bison shirt at dredd-con" page...

biased moi?

DavidXBrunt

Not a bad prog but for me it's still treading water. Just like last issue was the 'issue before the relaunch', this is the 'issue before Cabalistics'. I suspect that once the cabals return I'll be more favourably disposed to the rest of the prog.

Nothing bad but nothing great either. Dead Men Walking exeded my expectations. Synamon has lovely colours. Red, well I've not read book two so it feels like I'm missing something. Dredd, okay.